Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Evander Holyfield rank among all time great Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
    With all respect I understand your opinion but I disagree that Holyfield is top 5 heavyweight maybe top 10. From all the names you mentoined the only good fighter there is Mike Tyson
    your opinion is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      your opinion is wrong.
      So is yours

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
        So is yours
        No, mine is correct. Someone like bert cooper had more skills than 90% of anyone who fought in the 00s era. and he's one of the worst good fighters on Holyfield's resume.

Comment

I definitely think he ranks up there. Maybe top 20 for sure. I take into account his size as well. The fact that he was able to keep fighting after the wars with a man of Bowe's size.

Comment

Holyfield gets a lot of flack for having losses in one of the strongest era's ever, yet someone like Holmes and even Louis may have a lot of consistency and long reigns but really which prime ATG fighters did they beat or even face?During their streak specifically. Louis lost to two at the end of his career, so did Holmes. Norton and Schmeling are their best wins but they're not Lewis, Tyson, though probably better than Bowe.

Don't mean to deflect or anything but you have to take era's into consideration. If anything Holyfield is like a true throwback in that he fought often against so many great fighters that sometimes he would lose to lesser opponents like Moorer along the way.

The fact that it's debatable wether Lewis or Holyfield were the best of the 90s shows how great he is. I have Lewis in the top 5 ATG's and Evander isn't far away from that.

Comment

there are so many ways to analyze holy's career. He fought almost everyone of his era . Was he consistent. No really but everyone declines when you fight as long as him. He fought bigger men but was he chemically enhanced? Consider all these factors and make your own assessment. I think his most entertaining and competitive fight was not at heavy but against Braxton in atlanta as a cruiser. If he did not gut it out and win that fight he may not achieved all he did at heavyweight.

Comment

There is a special podium for Muhammad and Muhammad alone but below that, one may say there's a certain mix of fighters who can lay claim to second best. Mr Louis, Mr Lewis, Mr Holmes and Mr Holyfield. Does the genial giant Foreman get a shout? Most likely.

Holyfield was a special fighter. Quick with hand and foot in his prime and always game for a tear up. He never quite got the recognition he deserved for so long but I'd like to think that now, in this day and age, we realise we witnessed true greatness for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
                  There is a special podium for Muhammad and Muhammad alone but below that, one may say there's a certain mix of fighters who can lay claim to second best. Mr Louis, Mr Lewis, Mr Holmes and Mr Holyfield. Does the genial giant Foreman get a shout? Most likely.

Holyfield was a special fighter. Quick with hand and foot in his prime and always game for a tear up. He never quite got the recognition he deserved for so long but I'd like to think that now, in this day and age, we realise we witnessed true greatness for so long.
                  Good post.

Holyfield was willing to fight anyone in a loaded field at Heavy during the 90's and fought in one of the best trilogy of fights of AT with Bowe.

15 years ago when Holy was still fighting but over the hill i would perhaps have had him around the 10 spot all time heavys but i think two decades on we can all agree what a great decade the 90s really was.. i would have Holy at 5 on my list right now behind Ali, Lewis, Holmes and Foreman.

Comment

Top 10 in my book

Comment

I'd say he's anywhere from 6-8.

Comment

Working...
                      X