No announcement yet.

HBO desperate for PPV Stars?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Tua-thats being underpaid. That isn't right either.
    not back then.

remember jmm and pac had never been on ppv yet.

pac was just a hbo fighter. jmm not even that.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      not back then.

remember jmm and pac had never been on ppv yet.

pac was just a hbo fighter. jmm not even that.
      I think one of the main reasons fighters want and expect more nowadays is because guys like Manny and JMM got underpaid like they did here.

Comment

The $100 Farce Of The Century was a blessing in disguise. It might have killed the PPV industry. That'd be great for boxing fans. Fuk PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
          I think it's vmore that they have a thin budget and couldn't afford the purses for the fight. You can't build stars on a tight budget. They need to open up their pockets and fully commit to boxing. They already blocked Stevenson vs Kovalev and now Kovalev us being forced into pointless rematches and has to wait for Ward to get back in shape.
          I'd love to understand the mindset of HBO giving HBO Boxing a smaller & smaller budget over the years. Around 2000 they supposedly* had a $100M-$120M budget, around 2008 it supposedly* a $70M-$80M budget & in the last few years its supposedly* around $30M-$40M. And over this entire time HBO has been the industry leader, the gold standard in boxing. Yet less & less money. I can't help but feel like HBO is heading out of the boxing business very gradually cuz the numbers don't make sense to me.

*from various articles & "industry experts" these are usually the quoted ranges from those times

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I think one of the main reasons fighters want and expect more nowadays is because guys like Manny and JMM got underpaid like they did here.
            nonsense.

more like they see everyone getting overpaid so they want to be overpaid too.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              I dunno if they are desperate but yeah, they are running out of PPV stars. Canelo and Cotto and the 3rd and 4th biggest PPV names out there so they can breath a sigh of relief for now. GGG is a work in progress, so I won't write him off just yet and they have guys like Bradley, who can probably do PPV and has done so in the past.
              and guys like Rios who can do PPV and has done so in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I'd love to understand the mindset of HBO giving HBO Boxing a smaller & smaller budget over the years. Around 2000 they supposedly* had a $100M-$120M budget, around 2008 it supposedly* a $70M-$80M budget & in the last few years its supposedly* around $30M-$40M. And over this entire time HBO has been the industry leader, the gold standard in boxing. Yet less & less money. I can't help but feel like HBO is heading out of the boxing business very gradually cuz the numbers don't make sense to me.

*from various articles & "industry experts" these are usually the quoted ranges from those times
                1 the old HBO CEO's were big boxing fans. not so much anymore.

2 HBO pays for hype/buzz. so ppl talk HBO and get new subscribers.

most boxing buzz fights aren't on HBO anymore. those few fights go HBOPPV like pac-may, canelo-cotto.

3 HBO main rival right now isn't even SHOW and definitely not boxing related.

it's NETFLIX.

HBO/NETFLIX war is on right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Helm View Post
                  PPV shouldn't even exist.
                  I never pay 100$ to watch a fckuing fight and never will, it's nonsense. It would be ok to pay 10-15$, but me personally wouldn't buy either.
                  Yeah the prices in America for your PPV's are a joke, I'd say $10-15 is too cheap though maybe call it at $25-30 ranging from how good the PPV event is.

Comment

netflix is a beast right now.

you know house of cards was suppose to be HBO? netflix outbid them. HBO was shook.

paid $90 million for marco polo, stealing them from starz last year.

netflix getting into original programming is hbo biggest threat.

starting with sopranos 1999, original series has been HBO bread and butter.

game of thrones and the like is where all that 2000 boxing money went.

Comment

Another pointless network war.

Comment

Working...
                      X