No announcement yet.

Fullmer vs Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fullmer vs Hagler

Okay, everyone picks Hagler. That is predictable. I pick him, too. But the thing that makes this an interesting fight to watch is that the action will be non stop. Get ready for all the dirt. Marvin will not take kindly to those rabbit punches in clinches.

Gene was a lot tougher than the cast that Marvin generally brutalized. Gene would brutalize the likes of Minter & Antefuermo too. He might also endure the huge fire of Hearns, Roldan and Mugabi as well, to prevail.

Hagler will win, but he is going to have his hands completely full doing it, like he did few times in his career.

I don't think Hagler was a fighter who really minded having his hands full in the ring. He wasn't one to dodge or hide or avoid.

Comment

i think it would have been an exciting fight, but I believe Hagler would win. He would definitely know he was in a dog fight.

Comment

Hagler fought self-named beasts like Mugabe and prevailed. Hamsho was a beast too.

And Hagler, hate to say it, when he felt the need, would go to the family jewels to prevail.

Hagler much more skilled boxer and better distance game.

Hagler by KO/TKO late.
        Last edited by johnbook; 11-13-2019, 03:01 AM.

Comment

- -Few tougher than Gene.

Quite possible he surprises Marv first fight only to lose the rematches.

Doubt Leonard would ever consider a prime Gene.

Comment

It's just a fact, most fighters made Marvin mad if they were around his weight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              - -U mad then Leffy?

Comment

Originally posted by johnbook View Post
                Hagler by KO/TKO late.
                Hahahahahaha.

No.

Hagler doesn't put on a clinic, but he definitely shows off his Boxing skills. I agree that it's exciting, Hagler is finally meeting a guy more rugged and just as dirty as himself. But he's too polished to lose this one.

Petronelli doesn't get enough credit as a trainer. Left to his own devices, it's probable that we would have never heard of Marvin Hagler. (Who knows if he would have ever gotten as far as the Philly Circuit.) But Petronelli showed how to make an ATG champion. Fullmer under the same guidance might been something even better.
                Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 11-13-2019, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Few tougher than Gene.

Quite possible he surprises Marv first fight only to lose the rematches.

Doubt Leonard would ever consider a prime Gene.
                  Now that is an interesting fight!

Leonard is clearly slicker. But 15 rounds is a looooong time to share the ring w/ Fullmer. Robinson was a widow-maker, and he had his hands full w/ Fullmer.

Leonard didn't have that size or power. And while quicker than THAT Robinson, he had to fight in spurts.

Gene can't dodge punches or cut-off the ring like Duran, and while it hurts him on the scorecards, in the end it might not matter. Based on the Gerardo fight, I think Gene finally gets Leonard where he wants him. And soon enough to secure a decsion.

Tough fight for both men. Like I just said. Fullmer really suffered for not having a great coach. But he was clearly a man meant to be champion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Yeah. He really benefited from fighting smaller men. But they still made him dig deep.

Coming out of the Philly Circuit he really cut his teeth. He had an advantage in skill and experience that the one-dimensional rugged fighters he fought as champion simply didn't have.

He's put on a pretty high pedastal. And i respect his consistency and lengthy tenure, but there were definitely more impressive Middleweight champions.

He reminds me a lot of Holmes for those two reasons. But Hagler's grittiness and work-ethic endeared him to people. While Larry's more measured style and sour personality left him largely forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X