Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Groves-Eubank WBSS Semifinal Set for February 17 in Manchester

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxnation fan View Post
    Don't think either Jack or BJS losses were all that close personally speaking.

Let's be real though, neither has beaten a Top 10 Middleweight or Super Middleweight in their careers.

How can Eubank Jr be Boxrec Number 1 Super Middleweight when he's never beaten a Top 10 Middleweight or Super Middleweight in his career let alone held a World Title...Complete lunacy!

I could think of 5 Current Supermiddles who i would have no hesitation in picking over either Groves or Eubank:

Gilberto Ramirez
    James Degale
    Anthony Dirrell
    David Benvenidez
    Andre Dirrell

Until Groves or Eubank beats one of these guys, they are definitely not Top 5 guys although might just scrape into Top 10 because as you say, Super Middleweight division very weak at moment.
    Its really funny, how you cant stay objective regarding british fighters not fighting under the boxnation banner lol.

Ramirez has the same best win as Eubank in Abraham. Other than that, there is nothing standing out in both resume except Eubank looks better bashing gatekeepers.

Anthony Dirrell never amounted to anything. He had 2 stepup-fights. Lost against jack and needed two fights to beat Bika.

Andre was good at one point, but just doesnt have the heart and mental strength to fight through fire. his two best wins are DQ wins lol.

Benavidez could potentially be better down the road, but if he wasnt lucky with the title shot, he would still be a developing prospect and not a titlist.

With the exception of DeGale none of the other contenders have really established themselves in the rankings. You could make a case for ever guy, except for the direll bros to be #2.

Ramirez - Abraham and bunch of gatekeepers
    Eubank - Abraham and bunch of british gatekeepers
    Groves - More fights at world level, lost his important fights and beat a bunch of euro-level guys
    Benavidez - No standout wins, but passes the eye test.

Comment

Definitely a must watch for me - the atmosphere will be awesome and it's kind of like a crossroads fight for both(not so much for Eubank but it's still a truth teller fight id say)

Eubank is now near or in his prime after coming back from his loss , Groves trying to get back to where it looked like he was going after that right hand landed on Froch in their first fight. it's too bad the WBSS isn't as accessible as the super 6 because this is a fight i think would interest fans all over- eubank is highly entertaining
      Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 11-21-2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

WTF's Sauerland thinking of matching 2 Southerners up North. If this was in London, then I'd be ordering my ticket today.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
          What's weird about holding it in the biggest indoor arena in Europe, in the coldest month of the year? It was the best option.
          MEN is great i am sure mate. I was just thinking that because Eubank is from the south coast, and Groves is from London, it would make sense to hold the fight in the south where there will be local support.

I was just a bit annoyed the other day watching the Smith vs Williams rematch, which inexplicably ended up in Newcastle, and there was basically no atmosphere in the arena. Despite how meaningful the fight was for both fighters and their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxnation fan View Post
            Good Domestic Fight but lets not get carried away.

Groves isn't a Top 5 Super Middleweight.

Eubank Jr isn't a Top 10 Super Middleweight.

Neither Guy is any thing special and have failed at the highest level, multiple times in Groves case.

Eubank Jr has run away from every challenge presented with whether it was BJS Rematch or GGG.
            Good points - this fight is an interesting one, mainly because it is Eubank Jnrs first real test since he failed against BJS. Groves has the experience, Eubank has the hype. But yes, neither are elite SMWs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
              Didn't expect it to be in Manchester. One is a London boy and the other is just down the road in Brighton.

I suppose both are two of the more well known names in British boxing and it seems to be a fight people are interested in. Just wonder if they're big enough to make people want to travel. That said, Manchester does have a huge catchment area and other cities like Liverpool, Sheffield and Leeds and their surrounding areas are only about an hour away. Manchester is a good night out too, so i'm sure people will be up for it.

Good atmosphere in Manchester too. Froch v Groves 1 was there.
              Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
              This had London wrote all over it didn't it? Maybe there was not many arenas free.

Manchester Arena is good for the boxing though.
              Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
              Froch-Groves 1 was absolutely electric, the place exploded when Groves landed that HUGE right hand. I'd much rather it be in Manchester tbh, the Manchester Arena is way better than the O2 for boxing, and I hate stadium fights tbh. This fight will sell out 100%. Eubank and Groves are 2nd and 3rd behind AJ in terms of popularity in the UK.
              ... back then, Groves got big support there in Manchester...

Comment

Should be a good fight, i'm routing for Eubank

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
                  Should be a good fight, i'm routing for Eubank
                  ... then I'll put some money on Groves...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    ... then I'll put some money on Groves...
                    ...er good for you?

Comment

Am going to this !!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X