No announcement yet.

I love Gangs of New York But...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love Gangs of New York But...

Did the ending seem a little deus ex machina? I mean, here we have the final battle built up to big magnitude; everyone is geared up and ready for battle. Yet, in the end, the ships fired and everyone runs and the battle between Day-Lewis and Leo never happens really.

Kind of has the feel of May-Pac. So much build-up and then, nothing.

Any thoughts?

It's a bag of shite.

One of the most overrated movies of all time.

Comment

The movie itself was crap...but Daniel Day Lewis is such a good actor that you end up watching it just to see what he's going to do much like with There Will Be Blood. He's that good to his credit even if the movie isn't.

Comment

I liked the movie but that ending was pure trash. I also enjoyed the historical side to it because I lived near the area where all of that happened.

Comment

Think it symbolised the destruction of their way of life, what they were fighting over didn't matter anymore. Like the end of Apocalypto when the boats turn up

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
            Think it symbolised the destruction of their way of life, what they were fighting over didn't matter anymore. Like the end of Apocalypto when the boats turn up
            Yeah, I guess that's the deeper meaning. Just by story standards, it's kind of like Leo's character and well, even Bill, got kind of bailed out of having their big showdown. But of course, I guess they were trying to make the point you stated. Sometimes I just think that those types of things belong better in a history paper rather than in a movie that's supposed to entertain. Just a difference of opinion I suppose. Good post, though.

Comment

Day Lewis was still a G in it, but yeah it underwhelmed and Cameron Diaz looked like a tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                Day Lewis was still a G in it, but yeah it underwhelmed and Cameron Diaz looked like a tranny.

Comment

Working...
                X