Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Divy old man is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 805.26
Default New trainer changed my style

Hi all, I have boxed a fair bit over the years mainly on and off during my teens.
Im a bit older now but i'm going to get back into boxing.
I'm 6ft3 tall and 91kg.

Anyway my stance used to be similar to kilitchko's and I used to enjoy working off my front hand with rear hand always by my chin ready poised for the bigger bangs.
I felt loose and relaxed in this style.
Don't get me wrong i was by no means as loose and wild and defense neglectful as Wilder!, but never the less I was kilitchko type of stance with leading hand out far.

My new recent trainer has insisted I keep both arms by my chin at all times and my hand come straight back to my chin....basic stuff and I'm good at it!. On videos of me hitting bag and sparring etc my hands now naturally come straight back to my chin like a piston! I've mastered it.
OK so my defence is good but I've lost my offensive part of boxing now as i feel very rigid like this and my jab isn't as good as I cannot just flick it out at differnt angles and with differing force like I could before. I'm rigid like Joshua and frank Bruno!.
Should I stay with it or go back to my old methods?.

I don't know which I prefer, I mean this new style ticks more boxes in theory but I feel stiff awkward and that I'm loosing a lot of offensive with it.

Last edited by Divy old man; 11-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Divy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,259,302.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divy old man View Post
Hi all, I have boxed a fair bit over the years mainly on and off during my teens.
Im a bit older now but i'm going to get back into boxing.
I'm 6ft3 tall and 91kg.

Anyway my stance used to be similar to kilitchko's and I used to enjoy working off my front hand with rear hand always by my chin ready poised for the bigger bangs.
I felt loose and relaxed in this style.
Don't get me wrong i was by no means as loose and wild and defense neglectful as Wilder!, but never the less I was kilitchko type of stance with leading hand out far.

My new recent trainer has insisted I keep both arms by my chin at all times and my hand come straight back to my chin....basic stuff and I'm good at it!. On videos of me hitting bag and sparring etc my hands now naturally come straight back to my chin like a piston! I've mastered it.
OK so my defence is good but I've lost my offensive part of boxing now as i feel very rigid like this and my jab isn't as good as I cannot just flick it out at differnt angles and with differing force like I could before. I'm rigid like Joshua and frank Bruno!.
Should I stay with it or go back to my old methods?.

I don't know which I prefer, I mean this new style ticks more boxes in theory but I feel stiff awkward and that I'm loosing a lot of offensive with it.
Have you voiced your concerns to the trainer?
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 AM #3
Amateur

Yes mate but he insists I do things his way.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes mate but he insists I do things his way.
If you are not comfortable with him, might be time to get a new trainer.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM #5
Amateur

True mate tar for reply
Old 11-10-2017, 04:04 PM #6
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 6705 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,377,074,931,721,954,131,968.00
Total Points: 24,377,074,931,721,954,131,968.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 

The way you are training now is the more proper way. It's worth investing the time to learn and become comfortable in this new style in my opinion.

Even if you have to go through a period of growing pains.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
The way you are training now is the more proper way. It's worth investing the time to learn and become comfortable in this new style in my opinion.

Even if you have to go through a period of growing pains.
This is good advice right here as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:02 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
McNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond reputeMcNulty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 453,358.82
Total Points: 1,000,000,623,163.09

Quote:
Should I stay with it or go back to my old methods?
Stick with it. You're jab was never really good because you were cheating.

Learn how to get snap, real snap. Shadowbox with small hands weights for 4 rounds (5lb, 4lb, and 1lb one for each round then 16oz gloves for one last round). 10 1-2's, 10 palm down hooks, the 10 uppercuts walking forward, rinse repeat.

Also, use your right (or whatever is your rear hand) hand to create the snap. The snap is the torque from pulling back that creates that whip like effect. Throw the left jab from your chin fast and straight, then pull your right hand back to your chin so your waist assists in the snap.
McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
BG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond reputeBG_Knocc_Out has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,636,126.02

The more time I spend in boxing, the more I feel like the word "style" gets abused by those to disguise their deficiencies in the fundamentals.
BG_Knocc_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:52 PM #10
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,304,374,479,090,016,256.00
Total Points: 5,304,374,479,090,206,720.00
I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson 
Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry 
Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz 
One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

if you'd rather carry your fists next to your balls than don't complain to your trainer when you get ktfo. He'll just say "told you".

Last edited by Rockin'; 11-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Rockin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
changed, style, trainer

User Tag List