Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have your opinions on gun control laws changed over recent incidents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have your opinions on gun control laws changed over recent incidents?

After Vegas somethings gotta give, personally I dont have the slightest clue where Id begin if it were up to me. What would you do if gun control laws were up to you?

start by looking at the international success stories. free up congress and the CDC to conduct whatever research they need to conduct. get the states involved. then in congress they'd put together committees designed to orchestrate the legislation and subsequent debates. bills would go through the senate and the house, and then get to the desk of the president.

it's not easy and would cost millions, if not billions, and take a long, long time.

i don't think it will be legal for a civvi to get an automatic rifle for long. hope i'm not wrong.

Comment

Mine have certainly gotten stronger.

I have no problem with anyone politicizing this issue anymore. I am for guns but not automatic weapons and military grade or style weapons being sold to the public. I also think the whole gun culture of the US needs to be addressed.

Comment

Mass shooters would just get the guns illegally anyway

It doesn't matter

Comment

I don't know what the answer is. But it ought to be harder to buy automatic/large weapons. People who are neither criminals nor insane when they buy the weapons may not stay that way forever, so checking for these things is not 100% foolproof.

At least a few guns the shooter owns were purchased legally. He had no criminal history or diagnosed mental illness to the best of my current knowledge.

Christopher Sullivan, general manager of Guns & Guitars, a gun store in Mesquite, confirmed that Mr. Paddock bought three guns at his shop within the last year — a handgun and two rifles. All the purchases were legal and cleared routine federal screening, Mr. Sullivan said.

“The man does not have a criminal history,” he said of Mr. Paddock.
          It is not yet clear if the guns purchased legally at that store include anything used today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/u...r.html?mcubz=1
          Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Follow the whole second amendment

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Universal background checks, photo ID for all gun/ammo/gun-related purchases, felony conviction will resort to right to arms being suspended, with a central database available to all law enforcement in every jurisdiction.

And that's just the skeleton (should folks on the no-fly list get guns? should spousal/child abusers get gonna? should automatic firearms be available for sale to the public? Etc).

If we, as a country, know who fires weapons, know where the guns are, and have a means to know the flow of munitions, our law enforcement officers have better chances to find and negate threats before they leave piles of people dead in the street.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have guns and folks would basically only have to deal with knife threats, but the world's not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              Mine have certainly gotten stronger.

I have no problem with anyone politicizing this issue anymore. I am for guns but not automatic weapons and military grade or style weapons being sold to the public. I also think the whole gun culture of the US needs to be addressed.
              IDK what business anybody has buying military assault rifles. There is no need for the Average Joe to have higher powered weapons than a police station.

Comment

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...als/723569001/

Gun owners in Nevada don't need a permit to buy or possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun, according to the National Rifle Association. State law also allows gun owners to openly carry a firearm in public and purchase machine guns or silencers, banned in other states, as long as they're legally registered and within federal compliance.
                Sorry but this needs to change IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post

It doesn't matter
                  No one "just gets a gun illegally"; by the very nature of the term, an illegal gun is riskier to get over all of the extra hoops needed to get it (especially in a world where guns are well-regulated).

There are far more places that a person can make a mistake in trying to procure illegal guns for an assault that give law enforcement a better shot to thwart any plan.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post

It doesn't matter
                    Or build a bomb made from the local hardware store and fuel station.

Comment

Working...
                    X