Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most entertaining & least entertaining (boring) champions of last 20 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most entertaining & least entertaining (boring) champions of last 20 years?

Who would you say are the 10 most entertaining championship level fighters of the last 20 years and the 10 most boring?

Entertainers
    Felix Trinidad
    Juan Manuel Marquez
    Erik Morales
    Manny Pacquaio
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Rafael Marquez
    Israel Vazquez
    Arturo Gatti
    Roman Gonzalez
    Diego Corrales

Insomnia curers
    Andre Ward
    John Ruiz
    Sven Ottke
    Wladimir Klitshcko
    Floyd Mayweather
    Ricky Hatton
    Shawn Porter
    Winky Wright
    Bernard Hopkins
    Derrick Gainer

I know some will attack me for including Ottke and I know he's unbeaten doe but his fights were boring and ugly. Hopkins I respect as an all-time great fighter but his fights were often ugly and marred by wrestling, holding, injury feigning etc; The rest need no explaining.

Hatton not entertaining ?

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      Who would you say are the 10 most entertaining championship level fighters of the last 20 years and the 10 most boring?

Entertainers
      Felix Trinidad
      Juan Manuel Marquez
      Erik Morales
      Manny Pacquaio
      Marco Antonio Barrera
      Rafael Marquez
      Israel Vazquez
      Arturo Gatti
      Roman Gonzalez
      Diego Corrales

Insomnia curers
      Andre Ward
      John Ruiz
      Sven Ottke
      Wladimir Klitshcko
      Floyd Mayweather
      Ricky Hatton
      Shawn Porter
      Winky Wright
      Bernard Hopkins
      Derrick Gainer

I know some will attack me for including Ottke and I know he's unbeaten doe but his fights were boring and ugly. Hopkins I respect as an all-time great fighter but his fights were often ugly and marred by wrestling, holding, injury feigning etc; The rest need no explaining.
      How are you measuring entertainment?

For example, Floyd sells the most tickets/PPv's at the highest prices. This is the primary measure of entertainment in film, music sports-sales, viewers, pricing level.

Or, are you measuring it a different way?

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post

Lol
        Too much wrestling and his fights were too scrappy. I always thought his fights were ugly as hell just like Porter's or Ward's.

Comment

Winky wright?

Wtf

Comment

Hatton was good to watch in the ring. Clinching is part of the sport but he was usually trying to set up a shot and he could finish well.

Some of them were tough to watch but very talented. Hopkins for instance was never going to be great entertainment, but it was remarkable to see how far and for how long his ringcraft took him. I hated the feigning etc though.

If you're talking about the pre-fight circus I'm not really sure how any of these guys were. I try and avoid it as much as possible, it's usually moronic and unconvincing.

Comment

solid list although i liked hatton and im fan of porter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                How are you measuring entertainment?

For example, Floyd sells the most tickets/PPv's at the highest prices. This is the primary measure of entertainment in film, music sports-sales, viewers, pricing level.

Or, are you measuring it a different way?
                In the ring the excitement or lack of excitement created. Fights the drama in them, technical skill, aggression, taking chances. Boring I'd say too much lateral movement, not taking chances, lack of aggression and my worst - excessive clinching.

Ticket sales and PPV not really. Oscar was an entertaining fighter but more than those guys? No. Chavez JR also wasn't more entertaining than Morales for example.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  In the ring the excitement or lack of excitement created. Fights the drama in them, technical skill, aggression, taking chances. Boring I'd say too much lateral movement, not taking chances, lack of aggression and my worst - excessive clinching.

Ticket sales and PPV not really. Oscar was an entertaining fighter but more than those guys? No. Chavez JR also wasn't more entertaining than Morales for example.
                  Ok. In ring excitement and drama is created when two closely matched fighters fight. I would argue there are no fighters during his era that were his equal or really close which is why most of his fights weren't exciting.

I think most fans appreciate greatness and domination like this and find it entertaining.

Not taking chances-with all due respect I always see this as coded language for Floyd not giving his opponent a chance to get a KO win because he will not fight recklessly once he has a huge lead.

respectfully, how can you not count those things? People pay to see fighters they are entertained by. They don't pay to see fighters they are bored by, right?

You are entitled to your opinion. I just think "entertaining" should be measured by subjective factors, not objective ones.
                  Last edited by The Big Dunn; 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post

Lol
                    Wtf??? That guy needs to watch the Tszyu fight!!

Comment

Working...
                    X