Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Canelo-Khan PPV bomb now force GBP/Canelo to fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are Glaser numbers, take them with a grain of salt. For one thing it's still early. HBO said they won't be releasing ppv numbers anymore and that it's up to the promoters to do so. The arena was downsized from 20k to 18k and still only drew 16.5k and that was after massively slashing the prices 2 weeks before the event (Kim reported $800 tix reduced to $200).

This show needed to do about 500k buys if Khan really was guaranteed $6mill and Canelo $10mill. And now GB has the lawsuit to deal with Canelo's former promoters who turned down a massive settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      I think since HBO doesn't want to release the numbers it bombed. I admit this puts Canelo in a tight spot, 330k is not bad but it's not good for the purses being handed out. Canelo vs GGG is imminent
      Link of the ppv buys?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
        These are Glaser numbers, take them with a grain of salt. For one thing it's still early. HBO said they won't be releasing ppv numbers anymore and that it's up to the promoters to do so. The arena was downsized from 20k to 18k and still only drew 16.5k and that was after massively slashing the prices 2 weeks before the event (Kim reported $800 tix reduced to $200).

This show needed to do about 500k buys if Khan really was guaranteed $6mill and Canelo $10mill. And now GB has the lawsuit to deal with Canelo's former promoters who turned down a massive settlement.
        ya but at the same time hes pretty much always been right when numbers are made public

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
          Link of the ppv buys?
          Not official, it is according to Glaser. If HBO/GBP don't want the public to take a guy like Glaser's figures, they need to stop playing around and release the numbers. Otherwise the public is gonna see it as sus, because why not release good numbers? They're prob terrible. Glaser is likely right, unless HBO releases the numbers officially

Comment

Not official, it is according to Glaser. If HBO/GBP don't want the public to take a guy like Glaser's figures, they need to stop playing around and release the numbers. Otherwise the public is gonna see it as sus, because why not release good numbers? They're prob terrible. Glaser is likely right, unless HBO releases the numbers officially
            Good point

Comment

I think since HBO doesn't want to release the numbers it bombed. I admit this puts Canelo in a tight spot, 330k is not bad but it's not good for the purses being handed out. Canelo vs GGG is imminent
              nope, for the simple fact that Golovkin's PPV business already flopped and Alvarez not being as big a star as everyone expected puts the money question on the hypothetical fight in flux.

People can say what they want about the base salaries but Alvarez, basically since the Mayweather fight, has been making $10m-$15m each time out (live event, sponsors,Mexican TV, TV/US PPV revenue[Canelo Promotions apparently gets, if the Schaefer terms are still valid, 80% of the proceeds on the PPV], etc).

If the numbers hold up, Alvarez-Golovkin amounts to a 500k-600k PPV buys event; cable operators/HBO take their piece of the pie and, optimistically, the US PPV money would be $13m-$15m (before paying any of the bills for the event). Add the other revenues, while deducting the needed payouts, and you've got a pot.

If Canelo's base package, at this point, puts $10m into his pocket to start, how much money, on an event budgeted for 600k PPV buys, is actually left over to pay K2 (who would then pay Golovkin)?

My guess, if the Khan numbers are legit, is that it sets up Alvarez vs Rosado [Mexico vs PR] for Mexican Independence Day weekend, on HBO(possibly HBOPPV), at Aztec Stadium in Mexico; Rosado won't ask for anywhere near as much money as Golovkin will command, and you can spin the spectacle.

Comment

I can't wait for the Crawford/Postol PPV buys. Over/under 50K? I think the worst an HBO PPV has ever done is 40K for Hopkins/Dawson I. This one might set a record low.

This is good in the long term though. Hopefully PPV dies.

Comment

Dan Rafael just tweeted out that the Glaser numbers are "100 percent a lie".

I'll wait till a credible source comes out with the figures.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post

Dan Rafael also sniffs lines off of De La Hoya's c*ck. Take his sources with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post

HBO said they aren't releasing the numbers so who will be the credible source? Oscar?

Comment

Working...
                      X