No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Ends Golden Boy Relationship, Passes on Broner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: HBO Ends Golden Boy Relationship, Passes on Broner

HBO has passed on broadcasting Adrien Broner’s next fight and the premium-cable channel’s boxing boss indicated Monday that the network won’t work with Golden Boy Promotions, Broner’s promoter, for the foreseeable future.

The announcement marked the crumbling of a once-powerful alliance between HBO Sports and Golden Boy Promotions, a relationship that was weakened when Showtime hired former Golden Boy attorney Stephen Espinoza to run its sports division in November 2011. Showtime now televises Golden Boy Promotions cards almost exclusively, but Broner was the one high-profile Golden Boy fighter whose fights were still broadcast by HBO.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I wonder if this all happened cause GB wanted Paulie and HBO didn't. Nonetheless, HBO fed us all that bias crap about Broner all these years just to end like this.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

See this is what pisses me off about this site!! At no point do you guys ever give the full story. I've been waiting for just once to read "SHOWTIME BOXING'S NEW BIG BOSS USED TO BE GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS LAWYER!!" That's why GBP and showtime are doing so much business. Still this is good because now HBO can invest in creating stars out of guys who would normally be caught in the middle of HBO and Showtime fighting over GBP and Top Rank events so now other promoters become viable options as do their fighters. I tell you this though, Showtime will get it's ratings but in the long run will hurt from tossing so much money at anything GBP tho.

Comment

Im disappointed.

I can't help but feel al gaymon & gayweather are behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
          See this is what pisses me off about this site!! At no point do you guys ever give the full story. I've been waiting for just once to read "SHOWTIME BOXING'S NEW BIG BOSS USED TO BE GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS LAWYER!!" That's why GBP and showtime are doing so much business. Still this is good because now HBO can invest in creating stars out of guys who would normally be caught in the middle of HBO and Showtime fighting over GBP and Top Rank events so now other promoters become viable options as do their fighters. I tell you this though, Showtime will get it's ratings but in the long run will hurt from tossing so much money at anything GBP tho.
          Are you blind? We mentioned that fact in about 100 stories, including the one you are commenting on.

Comment

Hbo going down hill

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post
              I wonder if this all happened cause GB wanted Paulie and HBO didn't. Nonetheless, HBO fed us all that bias crap about Broner all these years just to end like this.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
              it all started when espinoza joined showtime, HBO not at fault here

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                See this is what pisses me off about this site!! At no point do you guys ever give the full story. I've been waiting for just once to read "SHOWTIME BOXING'S NEW BIG BOSS USED TO BE GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS LAWYER!!"
                The article says "a relationship that was weakened when Showtime hired former Golden Boy attorney Stephen Espinoza to run its sports division in November 2011"

That's says it to me

I don't blame HBO! The promoters and TV networks have their own business to think about, us fans come last .

Comment

This is the first time I have felt in a long time that boxing is on a down slope. All these years people always talking about "this is hurting boxing" and "that is hurting boxing". I've always laughed to myself because of the fact that I know it is a very popular sport as long as you give people the right fights that they want to see.

The fact that HBO just shunned a powerhouse promoter like GBP changes the landscape in many, many ways and I'm wondering what the hell happens now.

Showtime is starting to inch its way in to 1st place now...but why is it that I still feel like Showtime is still in 2nd place no matter what is happening?

Only time will tell if GBP can survive this HBO boycott.

Comment

Showtime got that free publicity for Broner.

Comment

Working...
                    X