5. Sugar Ray Leonard
    6. Marvin Hagler
    7. Thomas Hearns
    8. Pernell Whitaker
    9. Bob Fitzsimmons
    10. Roy Jones jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
      Jack Dempsey's record and stature in boxing speaks for itself. I won't agitate myself to elaborate beyond that.

Larry Holmes is a different story. As a practitioner of the sweet science in the shadow of Muhammad ali, he's probably the single most underrated fighter of all times. "The Easton Assassin" whose stiff left jab was considered one of the greatest weapons in all of sports, successfully defended his title 20 times (2nd. only to Louis' 25) and had a 65% KO ratio.

Larry Holmes... Really!!!
      Is that some sort of joke?

As for Holmes...

You do realise using KO ratios or a fighters jab to defend a fighters ranking is bordering on the stupidest thing ever.

ok i rank marvin hagler number 4 coz he had iron beard southpaw orthodox stance and he was black once knocked out a guy called the worm, knocked out prime roy jones aswel and he was black with a nifty beard

and he had a cool cap and stuff in fact he had 3 cool caps if i remember rightly

i dont wanna elaborate beyond that

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

ok i rank marvin hagler number 4 coz he had iron beard southpaw orthodox stance and he was black once knocked out a guy called the worm, knocked out prime roy jones aswel and he was black with a nifty beard
        That reminds me of a thread on here a few years ago where a poster DID rank Hagler in the top 10 all time... the basis was that he had beaten Roy Jones.

I guess Marlon Starling is an ATG with his two victories over Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonTheMedium View Post
          i wouldn't say its new. i remember an espn show where they ranked the greatest fighters of all time and i think he was ranked at 9.

I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom and go with armstrong at number one. at one point, he could have been the only man to have won half of the titles in boxing at that time. he's had 150 wins, with 101 ko's, has the most defenses at welterweight with 19.

1.Henry Armstrong

2.Sugar ray robinson

3.Sam Langford (giving what we know, and the fact that there's no fight footage of greb, I'm gonna go with sam on this one)

4.Harry greb

5.willie pep (most wins ever)

6.ezzard charles

7.Muhammad ali (greatest heavyweight resume imo)

8.ray leonard
          (might controversial to some, but i think having wins over hearns, benitez, duran and hagler, however controversial, is a big deal)

9.archie moore (most Ko's all time)

10.bob fitzsimmons (first guy to win a championship in three divisions)

edit:can't believe i forgot about greb. and I've actually been thinking about him a lot lately too.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            Sam Langford
            Harry Greb
            Ray Robinson
            4. Henry Armstrong
            5. Ezzard Charles
            6. Benny Leonard
            7. Willie Pep
            8. Roberto Duran
            9. Eder Jofre
            10. Jose Napoles

Eder Jofre's and Jose Napoles' records and statures in boxing speaks for themselves. I won't agitate myself to elaborate beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              I seem to recall that list in which you had Joe Louis in the top 5. I think you posted it in your signature.
              I used to have a top-10 Heavyweight list in my sig and I had Louis at #2. I never put Heavyweights on p4p lists.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                That reminds me of a thread on here a few years ago where a poster DID rank Hagler in the top 10 all time... the basis was that he had beaten Roy Jones.

I guess Marlon Starling is an ATG with his two victories over Floyd Mayweather.
                Am I missing something here???

BTW:
                1. Ali
                2. Jack Johnson
                3. SRR
                4. Joe Louis
                5. Lanc... I mean Henry Armstrong (plz forgive me)
                6. Roy Jones Jr. (I know... But ain't nobody ever seent nuthin like that before in it's prime and you know it)
                7. SRL
                8. Mike Tyson (Biggest generation of purses in the history of sport to date as an athlete in outstanding [and sometimes bizarre] fashion)
                9. Roberto Duran
                10. Willie Pep

And I won't agitate myself to elaborate or question beyond that until the time appointed.

Comment

Ray Robinson
                  Henry Armstrong
                  Harry Greb
                  Joe Louis
                  Roberto Duran
                  Ray Leonard
                  Ezzard Charles
                  Willie Pep
                  Archie Moore
                  Jake Lamotta

Comment

Originally posted by extant View Post
                    Am I missing something here???

BTW:
                    1. Ali
                    2. Jack Johnson
                    3. SRR
                    4. Joe Louis
                    5. Lanc... I mean Henry Armstrong (plz forgive me)
                    6. Roy Jones Jr. (I know... But ain't nobody ever seent nuthin like that before in it's prime and you know it)
                    7. SRL
                    8. Mike Tyson (Biggest generation of purses in the history of sport to date as an athlete in outstanding [and sometimes bizarre] fashion)
                    9. Roberto Duran
                    10. Willie Pep

And I won't agitate myself to elaborate or question beyond that until the time appointed.
                    Hagler beat a guy called Roy Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by extant View Post
                      alot of us might not have seen it, but from the little that we've seen of RR in his prime, he was pretty close.

Comment

Working...
                      X