No announcement yet.

Roger Mayweather, very underrated trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Mayweather, very underrated trainer

I believe Roger Mayweather is one of the best trainers. And not simply because he trains Floyd. Sure, he doesn't train a lot of world champions and whatever dumb **** people like to focus on. But he's not about that. He's not about the fame and being world known. He is strictly boxing. He trains a lot of kids. They say that if you can train a kid how to box, than you can train anyone. Kids are one of hardest people to train because they have no discipline and they have a hard time understanding the science of boxing. And his mitt work is very effective. A lot of trainers focus on offense when it comes to mitt work. But Roger's mitt work focuses a lot on defense, counters and punch selections. I don't think a lot of trainers can make use of their mitt work like that.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of times, when I spar, my trainer would tell me so many different things at once. Move to his left, counter his jabs, work the body. When it comes time to box, I was thinking too much and didn't get to do any of that. All that should have been told before the fight I believe. I think on fight night, trainers should just keep it short and simple. Don't confuse the fighters. Maybe it's just that Roger isn't the best speaker, but what I like about him is that he keeps it short and simple.

How can anybody who's on 24/7 all the ****ing time talking into the camera about how great he is be considered "underrated"?

He's been blessed with a very gifted nephew, that's it. He's nowhere near the level of his more highly accomplished peers who've taken many more than just one dude to the top.

Comment

he basically just holds the mitts....

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
      Last edited by LeG00N; 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Box dat mof***er. He ain't sh**. Brilliant advice.

I don't know exactly what level trainer he is, but when he has no one of note besides Floyd, it's hard to say he should be considered as good as trainers who have brought multiple fighters to a championship level.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
          How can anybody who's on 24/7 all the ****ing time talking into the camera about how great he is be considered "underrated"?

He's been blessed with a very gifted nephew, that's it. He's nowhere near the level of his more highly accomplished peers who've taken many more than just one dude to the top.
          That's the thing. You like to focus on how many fighters a trainer can take it to the top. In another words, Quantity over Quality. Who cares how many fighters they can take to the top. I'm pretty sure Roger can take a lot of fighters to the top if he wanted to. But like I said, he's really not about the fame or fortune. He will train kids for chump change. He's more about breeding champions rather than getting an already made champion.

Comment

keep doin' whatever it is ya doin' OP

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
              That's the thing. You like to focus on how many fighters a trainer can take it to the top. In another words, Quantity over Quality. Who cares how many fighters they can take to the top. I'm pretty sure Roger can take a lot of fighters to the top if he wanted to. But like I said, he's really not about the fame or fortune. He will train kids for chump change. He's more about breeding champions rather than getting an already made champion.
              Dude Floyd was already dominant before Roger stepped in. Had Roger trained 2 or 3 guys to the elite level then u can have a case but only one and that fighter pretty much trains himself and it's not because
              Of uncle rog.

Comment

not in my opinion. "keep doin what your doin" !!!!!!!!!!!!

im not sure roger mayweather knows what day it is. he certainly doesnt know where a dentist is, thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
                  If he isn't building any champions from the ground up, and he isn't bringing any established fighters to success, than what champions is he breeding?

I'm not going to pretend I know what Roger does with kids, but again it's very hard to make a case that Roger is some great trainer worth mentioning with the best.

Comment

Nah, Roger ain't a good trainer. Floyd is gifted, he doesn't need Roger, he doesn't even help Floyd. When was the last time you heard Roger give him a decent piece of advice during a fight? He doesn't! And Floyd doesn't need him anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X