Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good read: Why your data is worth $104 billion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortunately I was never into the full social trend of FB, of acquiring over 300 to 400 friends and constantly updating my wall and my location (I.E. "oh yeah" -- with Dick Masterson at Bunny Ranch. Local Business, Las Vegas, Nevada) like some others.

Just playing some Zynga poker and keeping the friend list to a minimum of some family members from around the world, and friends withing driving distance or have met. Privacy settings at 100%.

Comment

Its funny because I see a lot of people poo poo-ing this ipo like its some sort of bubble. The fact is that facebook has more consumer/personal data than any company in the history of the world.

They have the kind of info for free that marketing and ad agencies used to spend tons of money to buy in the past. Now people voluntarily give it up and are addicted to it.

Unless everyone shuts down their facebook tomorrow and it goes bust overnight like myspace, the amount of information they have on that billion people is valuable across a wide spectrum of different areas. Not just consumer advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
        I thought its absolutely impossible to delete your Facebook and that's it's stored on the servers no? I'm glad I never made a Facebook, I have 1 but I haven't done anything on it at all.
        Same.

I made one but then felt like... you know, fuck this social network shit and never did anything on it.

Comment

I made an account in 2008, and I haven't used it since then.

Comment

Even if you delete your facebook page, there's still a record of it somewhere. Besides if you didn't want something leaked on the internet, why in the hell would you post something on the internet you didn't want leaked.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Google+ is gonna take over soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
                maybe i'll convert my 'buzz' account to '+' then

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-18087379

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
                    Tru that!!!

And don't forget that Google implemented their new privacy policy a few months back -- stating clearly that your information will be used to cater a better experience and customize advertising.

So, in essence Google is heading in the same direction as other social networks sites or data management companies.

I think too many consumers today, are in many cases, devaluing their privacy. There is a saying "If you do not stand up for your rights, you do not have any", we are reaching a point where "If you do not stand up for your privacy, then you won't have any" will become the order of the day.

And trust me, that ain't a good thing.

Comment

Interesting!!!

"The spread of all types of hatred on social networking sites and similar media is a growing problem, so, it is hoped that this innovative investigation will provide a helpful precedent for all of society."

Comment

Working...
                      X