Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats more prestigious P4P#1 or Heavyweight champion of the world?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vote...............................

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
      yeah.....but p4p#1.............encompasses all of boxing's division.......and heavyweight doesnt mean youre the best of the best...........just the best in the biggest division there is.....................(playing the devils advocate)................
      No it doesn't mean THAT...What it means is what John L Sullivan used to shout in his inebriated moments. "I can beat any damned man in the house" Well for the heavyweight Champio, just substitute "IN THE WORLD".

He can beat any body in the whole world. Of course maybe a SUMO champion, by sitting on him, might cause him to collapse, but that;s a remote possibility.

Comment

As a fan of boxing, I think there's nothing greater than being P4P #1. As far as telling a casual sports fan you're the undisputed heavyweight champion, I'm sure it's far more impressive sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          without any order

Joe louis
          Ali
          Dempsey
          jack johnson
          and Gene tunney

all HW champions (tunney did most of his work at lhw but he gets most credit for defeating jack dempsey) some would consider in the top ten in terms of "Greatness"

it's hard to imagine now with the division being so weak and having virtually no following in the states, but the HW championship of the world used to be the most covet achievement in sport
          and the champ was the world's most popular athlete
          With all due respects, I think that many of you guys just write stuff without ever looking into what it really is or was. I certainly wouldn't put Gene Tunney into an all time heavyweight list (NO WAY) for a couple of reasons, ONE...before he fought Dempsey,(you can't count his last win against Greb because he weighed 182 lbs against Greb's 1650...he'd only had about 4-5 barely heavyyweight bouts, against genuine NO HOPERS whose records were totalled at 51 wins to 38 losses. Basically Ham and Eggers.

Secondly, his fights with Dempsey were against a well WASHED UP Dempsey. I didn't realise HOW washed up until I began remembering some things. I always had a great respect for Dempsey....IN HIS PRIME..... The first Tunney fight was after Dempsey had been partying it up for nearly 4 years in Hollywood during which time he married a Hollywood Star, Estelle Taylor. So he was really a 32-33 year old ex fighter who'd been retired for nearly 4 years and done his exercises OUT of the gym. Then......

The fight was a 10 round fight . When did you EVER hear of a TEN RD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE fight in modern boxing times........NEVER. The 10 rds were at Dempsey's request. That was what I remembered. He KNEW he couldn't go 15 rds. What other reason could it have been. ......

And he lost pretty badly. A dead fight. Then he KO'd Sharkey in the 7th when he was talking to the ref, and he'd lost every round up to then. Tehn he fought Tunney. It was anticlimactic, and although he KD'd Tunney in the 7th and could have won by KO, he was KD'd by Tunney himself in the next round. Apart from the KD round I heard he'd lost every other round. So out of the 20 rds against Tunney he'd lost 19. This doesn't make Tunney so good, it just shows Dempsey so bad.

The point is that Dempsey was a washed up ex champion with a huge sentimental following......to this very day. But Tunney did not do anything special in beating him. And it's because of these 2 Dempsey fights that Tunney had received this UNDESERVED Heavyweight reputation.

Comment

Well this is tricky cause one is "undisputed heavyweight champion of the world" and the other is "p4p champion"

p4p has its positives like it being voted on by the majority of the people but with that, it's all opinion. If you're the actual Undisputed Champion in the HW Division then how much sweeter can it get? There's no one else with a belt and you've pretty much ran through everyone to get to it. It's a coin flip but if my life was on the line I'd choose World HW Champion. With that, I wouldn't mind being in Manny's shoes and known as the p4p king at the moment either

Comment

Heavyweight Champion.

P4P is an opinion.
              Champion is a fact.

Comment

simple answer,who wins in a fight??the current p4p#1 or the heavyweight champion?

Comment

Being the real, true heavyweight Champion is. why? Because it's real, an actual, tangible achievement. P4P is bull****, a fun little parlor game that can never, really, objectively be proven because everyone isn't the same size. It's a great marketing tool in the modern era and a way for people to debate in such a way that it sounds like they know ass all about most of the sport when, really, they just follow the trends of argumentation and the handful of names that keep them in discussions about a sport to broad for most to keep track of.

Comment

p4p can kiss my asss... its a fantasy ranking

Comment

Working...
                    X