No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins: All Time Great...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TRUTH View Post
    since when the size of a fighter everything? I think the argument could be made that Winky was still effective at 170, he almost won in fact.
    So you saying 10+ pounds don't matter in boxing? What if someone like Pavlik made the rest of his career fighting welterweights?.. would he be an all time great?
    Hopkins is a dirty fighter who should have been disqualified many a times for disobeying boxing rules who's greatest fights where against smaller oposition. Hall of Famer, yes.
    No all time great..

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
      So you saying 10+ pounds don't matter in boxing? What if someone like Pavlik made the rest of his career fighting welterweights?.. would he be an all time great?
      Hopkins is a dirty fighter who should have been disqualified many a times for disobeying boxing rules who's greatest fights where against smaller oposition. Hall of Famer, yes.
      No all time great..
      sin, even if he had the 10 lb advantage...for christ sake pavlik had a nearly 20 year age advantage. and don't tell me thats not an advantage. its normal at all for hopkins to be able to compete at this level at his age. Foreman did it with one punch, Hopkins dominated an elite fighter at nearly 44 years old. its unreal.

If Pavlik dominated Tito Trinidad when he was 28 years old and undefeated, I don't care if he was a former welterweight or not...to me thats impressive. Hopkins just out smarted and outboxed Tito, its not like he just overpowers his opponents. I admit Oscar wasn't strong enough, but even he gave a Hopkins a fight. Is middleweight Oscar's weight? No, but he was doing pretty damn good against the middleweight champ until the liver punch. So Oscar was able to be effective a 160 due to his speed and boxing skills. I don't think that was as good as the Tito win, but its good. The Tarver domination has to be looked at, its not Hopkins fault that Tarver had to lose alot of weight before the fight. That was Tarver's fall back plan if he lost. If Pavlik dominated a 26 yr. old fighter at 43 I'd be singing his praises. Even if Pavlik beat Winky at 170 I'd be giving him some credit because Winky is a tough fighter to beat. If Pavlik defeated Glen Johnson in his prime, I'd have to give credit for that(considering how tough an opponent Johnson has been, even if shook up the much younger Dawson). If Pavlik owned a division for 10 years and made twenty defenses of the title I call him an ATG if he did these other things on top of it.

Comment

damn Sin City, say it aint so, say it aint so! Thought you were better then this man!

Comment

Yes he is an ATG i said it way before the Pavlik fight, win or lose in this one wasnt going to change anything except obviously only solidify that! Although some of his "great" wins like over DLH or Trinidad i dont count toward adding legacy because of the weight difference. its like giving a lot of credit to DLH for beating Manny Pacquiao... but still he is one of the greatest defensive fighters of all-time and a brilliant boxer. Nobody can take anything away from him!

Comment

I know Trinidad started his career at welter. but Tito blew out a legit middle in joppy. I think Hopkins domination of a prime undefeated Tito was a great win.

Comment

I know Trinidad started his career at welter. but Tito blew out a legit middle in joppy. I think Hopkins domination of a prime undefeated Tito was a great win.
              yeah hopkins gets points for oscar , winky and tito but i don't think it should take out of those guys either.

oscar and tito at least had belts at 160 and were the top guys 1 division down at 154.

manny has a belt at 135 and is fighting at 147. big difference from tito and oscar fighting bernard and manny fighting oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tito View Post
                yeah hopkins gets points for oscar , winky and tito but i don't think it should take out of those guys either.

oscar and tito at least had belts at 160 and were the top guys 1 division down at 154.

manny has a belt at 135 and is fighting at 147. big difference from tito and oscar fighting bernard and manny fighting oscar.
                I agee. Go Tito by the way. I wish he could comeback and win a belt or two. Great fighter and he has a big heart.

Comment

Hopkins: a boxing LEGEND.

Comment

Wow, remember when hopkins beat the **** out of that smaller man tarver? **** you *******s, Tarver was bigger than Hopkins and got the **** kicked out of him. Hopkins= bad style for anyone to fight.

Comment

I agee. Go Tito by the way. I wish he could comeback and win a belt or two. Great fighter and he has a big heart.
                      nah he should stay retired. his time is passed. his style doesn't translate well to fighting when your past prime. boxers have a longer shelf life than sluggers.

i just wished he went back down to 154 after the bernard loss.

he could've still made 154 or even 147 if he just dedicated himself to a good diet and taking care of himself in between fights.

tito-forrest , tito-mayorga (back then) , tito-shane , etc. plenty of good fights to be had back then in 2001-2002.

Comment

Working...
                      X