No announcement yet.

You can not build up huge fights until a fighter builds himself up first

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, Floyd would never have been an underdog against anyone at 154 and below, He would have been favourites against Williams and Margarito too, I name them because those are go to guys he supposedly avoided.... I guess we need not bother about those fights not happening too since they wouldn't have been risks. If Ward gets listed as the favourite against Kovalev then I guess that fight isn't a risk anymore.

Hell by your logic Golovkin won't be talking a risk unless he faces Ward or Kovalev at 175 because he'd be the favourite against pretty much everyone else.

See why that logic doesn't work?
    Risks yes, but was he always challenging himself? That is the problem with his career. I think he was challenging himself when he went up to 154 to fight Oscar and gave up lots of concessions, but also knew he needed that fight financially and to be the crossover star he always wanted to be. These instances were too few and far between, especially in the second half of his career.

His consistency and supremacy is impressive though, his lack of mistakes and overall professionalism over such a long career set him apart.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
      yeah that sounds great to try and sound like the ultimate boxing fan but when fans say that I think they're completely FULL OF IT!

When BIG MONEY is at Steak you will get Competitive fights, look at Thurman vs Porter! Hell look at most of the top fights in boxing history. It Cost MONEY to put together big fights and it is Ignorant for fans to expect fighters to take LESS to make big fights

Thurman Porter wasn't all that.

Pacquiao vs Floyd

Mayweather vs De la hoya

Leonard vs Hagler

Pacquiao vs De la Hoya

Tyson vs Lewis

Mayweather vs Cotto

Mayweather vs Mosley

These are among the biggest fights in boxing history and in all of them one fighter was far from their prime.

Let the best fight the best continuously and the money will be there.

If everyone tries to be a bizznezz man like you the sport produces mismatches and the ppl stop caring.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
        You can't call Floyd a risk taker and cite eleven examples of times he was the favorite.
        That means he was just that good, as i listed p4p fighters and world champions in different divisions..not sure what you want here..please show me 1 damn fighter doing even close to that now

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          I've never directly quoted your post, Larry, because on the whole I find your arguments moral (from your given perspective) and you generally avoid crossing streams, but I take exception with your invocation of Floyd Mayweather as a risk taker. Please cite examples of his ever having taken matches anyone in the know believed he had a legitimate chance of losing besides the Corrales fight. With a straight face.

"Experts" picked against him in several fights

Many were picking DLH

Many were picking Manny to win

Also Many were picking Hatton...the lead up to that fight was epic.

Many of my friends thoguht Cotto would beat him

hell he fought for his first title in his 18th pro fight and many thought he was in over his head versus Genaro Hernandez....Hernandez is one of the better 130 champions of the past 30 years.

its a different story when the fight plays out....then insert excuse why he wins......its been happening since he beat Corrales

Personally I havent picked anyone to beat him at all...always knew I was watching someone special...Once he got to 147, it was evident no one was gonna beat him unless he went to middleweight or did something outrageous

Comment

Originally posted by elgu View Post
            Thurman Porter wasn't all that.

Pacquiao vs Floyd

Mayweather vs De la hoya

Leonard vs Hagler

Pacquiao vs De la Hoya

Tyson vs Lewis

Mayweather vs Cotto

Mayweather vs Mosley

These are among the biggest fights in boxing history and in all of them one fighter was far from their prime.

Let the best fight the best continuously and the money will be there.

If everyone tries to be a bizznezz man like you the sport produces mismatches and the ppl stop caring.
            Best fighting the best COST MONEY! Fighters don't give a **** about what you or me think, they have every right to secure their families future by try to get the most money possible every time they fight and YES of course they have to be Businessmen as well. Boxing don't have Guaranteed Contracts in which you still get paid even when you get injured. You Get injured in boxing and you can't fight, YOU DON'T GET PAID! So I think it is very wise for fighters to IGNORE THE FANS and do whats is best for THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES! Look at Magomed Abdusalamov, are you the fan who wants want he wants and don't care about what the fighter want, going to take care of guys families if GOD FORBID they can't fight anymore? FUK NO! So fans need to shut the fuk up about trying to tell guys what they should or shouldn't take for a fight.

Comment

Reminds me of Breidis Prescott begging for a Khan rematch, instead of the other way around. LOL. Khan made himself big while Prescott made himself irrelevant and squandered his big Khan win.

Comment

Best fighting the best COST MONEY! Fighters don't give a **** about what you or me think, they have every right to secure their families future by try to get the most money possible every time they fight and YES of course they have to be Businessmen as well. Boxing don't have Guaranteed Contracts in which you still get paid even when you get injured. You Get injured in boxing and you can't fight, YOU DON'T GET PAID! So I think it is very wise for fighters to IGNORE THE FANS and do whats is best for THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES! Look at Magomed Abdusalamov, are you the fan who wants want he wants and don't care about what the fighter want, going to take care of guys families if GOD FORBID they can't fight anymore? FUK NO! So fans need to shut the fuk up about trying to tell guys what they should or shouldn't take for a fight.
                Al. Is that you uncle Al?

Keep ignoring the fans and you won't have an audience Mr. Bizznezz man.

Right now Postol/Crawford and Kovalev/Ward(hopefully) are scheduled to happen. Do you think they should be called of and happen in 2 years to see if the boxers are paid more?

You're a pathetic excuse of a boxing fan. Go make a career is business or finances of that's all you care about. Let real boxing fans discuss boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by elgu View Post
                  Al. Is that you uncle Al?

Keep ignoring the fans and you won't have an audience Mr. Bizznezz man.

Right now Postol/Crawford and Kovalev/Ward(hopefully) are scheduled to happen. Do you think they should be called of and happen in 2 years to see if the boxers are paid more?

You're a pathetic excuse of a boxing fan. Go make a career is business or finances of that's all you care about. Let real boxing fans discuss boxing.
                  And you think they're fighting for cheap.

No I'm a Real Boxing Fan who understand how things work in boxing and understand that it cost money to get the best to fight the best. You're not even REALISTIC! You just want want what you want and that is it so yes Fans like YOU should be Ignored

I refuse to believe that it is fans that honestly think that it is not about the money for most fighters and that they just want to put on the best fights and "Money Don't Matter"
                  Last edited by sicko; 07-05-2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

And you think they're fighting for cheap.

No I'm a Real Boxing Fan who understand how things work in boxing and understand that it cost money to get the best to fight the best. You're not even REALISTIC! You just want want what you want and that is it so yes Fans like YOU should be Ignored

I refuse to believe that it is fans that honestly think that it is not about the money for most fighters and that they just want to put on the best fights and "Money Don't Matter"
                    They are not fighting for Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo, or even Cotto type of money. They are fighting for decent money.

You say you're a real boxing fan because you know that things work around money. Well i'm an even better boxing fan because I see they could be fighting for decent to good money(provided they fight competitive fights) if the structure of boxing was revamped. Hell even more casuals would be interested if you pit the best against the best. Boxings current structure reeks of greedy promoter, greedy organizations, greedy managers, and boxers overpricing themselves. Revamp the whole system and you could have fighters fighting for good money and fighting competitive fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                      That doesn't make any sense, Floyd would never have been an underdog against anyone at 154 and below, He would have been favourites against Williams and Margarito too, I name them because those are go to guys he supposedly avoided.... I guess we need not bother about those fights not happening too since they wouldn't have been risks. If Ward gets listed as the favourite against Kovalev then I guess that fight isn't a risk anymore.

Hell by your logic Golovkin won't be talking a risk unless he faces Ward or Kovalev at 175 because he'd be the favourite against pretty much everyone else.

See why that logic doesn't work?
                      Ok, we are from completely different worlds apparently.

Comment

Working...
                      X