No announcement yet.

Margarito v Cotto: A Great Fight Shrouded

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
    I try not to reply to you because you usually troll, but this is a serious reply. I think he used simply because why would you need wraps for past prime Mosley (as he was viewed) but not undefeated prime Cotto? Not to mention Tony is usually a gym rat and for the first time in his career he was lazy, the bricks made him lazy I think. Cotto's faced never swelled up like that either, even in tough fights with Judah, Mosley and Torress. Still I can't prove Marg cheated just giving my opinion as to why.
    The reason he was lazy is probably because he didn't want the Mosley fight and he needed more time off after the Cotto. Margarito was promised the Oscar fight but Oscar backed out. He was fat at the press conferences for the Mosley fight and clearly didn't make the weight well.

It's extremely arrogant of Cotto fans to think that just cos he may have tried to use them on Mosley, he would have had to have used them on Miguel. Margarito always had the beating of Cotto, he matched up well against him.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
      I've watched it about 15 times since it happened. It's an amazing fight.

I don't know if Margarito cheated in that fight, If you're a Cotto fan or Margarito hater you'll say he did. If you're a Margarito fan or Cotto hater you'll say he didn't. He didn't get "caught" that fight so I'll say he didn't cheat. What I do find laughable is that people praise Mosley for beating Margarito because Margarito allegedly attempted to cheat but don't bring up Mosley's cheating past, and it's the same fans that say "once a cheat all of his wins come into question" Why doesn't that fight come into question though? an why do Cotto's fans support him?
      Your argument is sound and valid and i would agree with it if it wasn't for the fact that in boxing you are guilty until proven innocent not the other way around. Just the doubt and the fact that it "looks" shady,and that he got caught one fight after is enough to crucify the guy in boxing, Everyone knows this. It ain't right but that's how it is.

Comment

Just re-watched this today (probably should have done some uni work haha)

This is my original scorecard from an old scrapbook of mine. There's a couple rounds I would score differently now but it's good to look back:

Round 1: 10-9 Cotto, great movement, jabs and hooks

Round 2: 10-10, Margarito drags Cotto into a war and both men land big shots, can't split them

Round 3: 10-9 Cotto, business as usual, jab, hooks and movement

Round 4: 10-9 Cotto but Margarito is getting closer and landing great body shots

Round 5: 10-9 Cotto, doing a great job on the back foot, lands big left hooks

Round 6: 10-9 Cotto, so close could be a Margarito round but Cotto had the cleaner shots and the better defence. Made Margarito miss but Margarito worked his arse off.

Round 7: 10-9 Margarito, first round I scored for Margarito and what a BIG round, Cotto is hurt

Round 8: 10-9 Cotto, boxes beautifully but clear to see that Margarito is landing the more hurtful shots. Cotto gets the round due to more accurate punching.

Round 9: 10-9 Margarito, momentum has fully shifted and Cotto is looking like he wants to get out. Margarito takes some big shots to get in but he lands great uppercuts of his own.

Round 10: 10-9 Margarito, wins it in the last 20 seconds, big, BIG shots land and Cotto tries to hold. He looks ready to go.

Round 11: Just shocking, Cotto quit!

At the time, I had 6-3-1 for Cotto but now I would give the second round to Margarito, giving a more even looking card of 6-4 after 10.

And I don't think Cotto quit, that's unfair, I think he didn't have anything left.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali
          Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Boxer

Great thread and good discussion without las cucarachas.

When it comes to sports, and some what to life I was very, I mean overly sad at the end.

I must say that Miguel landed some vicious bombs on Margarito during this fight, the real deal and he took it like they were nothing. Certified granite chin.

I also agree with the comments regarding Cotto softening Margarito for Shane and Pac. Margarito was never the same after that fight, like someone else said "they beat each other's prime"!

Lastly, to close my comments Its my believe that Margarito cheated on this fight. I cant see how he cheats vs. Mosley and did not do so vs. Miguel.

Great thread and great comments!

good post,,,

i think neither guy was ever the same,,,,
          I believe both, had either one fought Floyd that night, would have beat him. Cotto was fantastic early and had some really good hand speed. Tony was just relentless. ATG scrap. For the record, Cotto didn't quit. I feel he took a knee out of necessity to give him some time and his uncle threw in the towel.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK
            Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater_of_ass

I try not to reply to you because you usually troll, but this is a serious reply. I think he used simply because why would you need wraps for past prime Mosley (as he was viewed) but not undefeated prime Cotto? Not to mention Tony is usually a gym rat and for the first time in his career he was lazy, the bricks made him lazy I think. Cotto's faced never swelled up like that either, even in tough fights with Judah, Mosley and Torress. Still I can't prove Marg cheated just giving my opinion as to why.

The reason he was lazy is probably because he didn't want the Mosley fight and he needed more time off after the Cotto. Margarito was promised the Oscar fight but Oscar backed out. He was fat at the press conferences for the Mosley fight and clearly didn't make the weight well.

It's extremely arrogant of Cotto fans to think that just cos he may have tried to use them on Mosley, he would have had to have used them on Miguel. Margarito always had the beating of Cotto, he matched up well against him.
            If I remember correctly, Tony was also missing for a week or so leading up to the signing of the fight or something like that. There was definitely something fishy going on.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09
              Quote:

Originally Posted by MANIAC310

I've watched it about 15 times since it happened. It's an amazing fight.

I don't know if Margarito cheated in that fight, If you're a Cotto fan or Margarito hater you'll say he did. If you're a Margarito fan or Cotto hater you'll say he didn't. He didn't get "caught" that fight so I'll say he didn't cheat. What I do find laughable is that people praise Mosley for beating Margarito because Margarito allegedly attempted to cheat but don't bring up Mosley's cheating past, and it's the same fans that say "once a cheat all of his wins come into question" Why doesn't that fight come into question though? an why do Cotto's fans support him?

Your argument is sound and valid and i would agree with it if it wasn't for the fact that in boxing you are guilty until proven innocent not the other way around. Just the doubt and the fact that it "looks" shady,and that he got caught one fight after is enough to crucify the guy in boxing, Everyone knows this. It ain't right but that's how it is.
              So why wasn't Cotto complaining about cracked gloves and HANDWRAPS after the fight? Why didn't anyone notice these super hard handwraps used to beat Cotto?

Because there weren't any.

Comment

well looks we got this far without controversy talk but it's here now haha

Comment

Working...
                X