Collapse
No announcement yet.

If SRR beat Maxim.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armstrong won 4 world titles. Middleweight title from Ceferino Garcia in a match that had the special rule that Armstrong would have to KO Garcia to win. He didn't KO him but won almost every round.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      Yes than beating maxim would have made him a 4 weight champ without any Jr division titles an unbelievable accomplishment. I do not think he would defend the light heavy title
      Indeed.

God I love Sugar Ray! It breaks my heart when I'm reminded that he lost to Maxim due to heat exhaustion! Why was there no rematch?! Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by TIMELESS View Post
        Indeed.

God I love Sugar Ray! It breaks my heart when I'm reminded that he lost to Maxim due to heat exhaustion! Why was there no rematch?! Such a shame.
        he took a long time to get well. it is a testimate to his character he went as many ounds as he did. quit and went in to show business.

Comment

Indeed.

I think there are two key reasons why it never happened again;

1. It didn't do as well financially as it was expected to do, and,
          2. The support for Archie Moore within the sport had gotten to the point that it was a fight that had to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            If he had won, I think he'd be considered the greatest ever.
            Most still consider Robinson the greatest ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Most still consider Robinson the greatest ever.
              Yeah, it was a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                Yeah, it was a joke.
                Oh hehe, as Homer Simpson would say "I get jokes" haha.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
                  I think there are two key reasons why it never happened again;

1. It didn't do as well financially as it was expected to do, and,
                  2. The support for Archie Moore within the sport had gotten to the point that it was a fight that had to be made.
                  Interesting.

The way in which the Referee had to be changed in was it the 10th, amazes me the most...compare the activity of the fighters to the ref, and he still had to be taken out. SRR was a monster! Peroid.

Comment

Interesting.

The way in which the Referee had to be changed in was it the 10th, amazes me the most...compare the activity of the fighters to the ref, and he still had to be taken out. SRR was a monster! Peroid.
                    Aint that somethin? happens in football sometimes as well.....Its a blizzard out and it is determined "well both teams have to play under the same conditions so lets get the game going." But it takes quite a bit of understanding as a fighter to know when the heat will limit you and when it could stop you...Many people think the same thing happened to Jack Johnson in Cuba. I rremember as a trainer years ago one bike rider told me that there is a time when you really can't go on any longer, period. I remember always thinking "if I just push a little more" and being 20 something...Now as a fifty year old I know what it means that no matter, there are times when the body just won't! Or as an oft quoted martial arts truism first coined by mcarthur says "fatigue makes cowards of us all."

Comment

If Ray had beaten Joey, Archie Moore would not have had to sign away part of his purses to Maxim and the filthy Doc Kearns. What were the parameters of that deal anyway? Did he owe a percentage as long as he was champion or was it for the duration of his boxing life?
                      Last edited by The Old LefHook; 06-01-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X