Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do animals know they're going to die someday?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animals have no concept of mortality - so the answer is NO.

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
      Animals have no concept of mortality - so the answer is NO.
      So why do pack animals mourn the losses of their pack members?

Dogs, Chimps, elephants, gorillas, orangutans, wolves, whales, dolphins all show signs of depression after the deaths of family members.

You act like human beings were birthed or evolved out of some special dirt lol, everything that lives on this planet all came from the same place. Almost every conscious being on planet earth shares the same base instincts. Everything that exists shares the same origin.

Last edited by llll; 10-11-2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

they dont... but they do have to worry about getting eaten by another animal every single day of their lives.... so i guess that's even worst than knowing that you'll die one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
          Or are humans the only species that is aware they will eventually die?

If you had no awareness of the fact that you will die one day, it seems like you would view life completely differently. It's hard to even guess how life would be if you had zero awareness you'd die someday.
          Well we don't know, and likely never will without being able to have a conversation of some sort with animals. That said, like some have pointed out, I think they definitely understand that death is a part of their existence on some level. The separation between Humans and most other species comes down to the ability to contemplate things like death. I say most because there are several animals, like orcas, some whales, and a handful of others, that may very well be on our level in intelligence, but just lack the physical abilities to do what we do.

Comment

Fear is what keeps them alert but don't think most animals have the cognitive ability to think when their life ends.

Territory, procreate, protect - that's pretty what they aim to achieve.

Comment

They know death is around the corner, like 2pac.

If they didn’t, why would they spend every waking moment trying to survive?

Why would gazelles instantly run away when a lion comes near? Why? Answer that.

Comment

elephants do. they walk themselves away from everyone in their herd and die alone at some elephant cave.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  most animals are aware that they can die anytime, and that they will die eventually

especially herd animals... they experience the sick and elderly

even a fly will try to evade a fly swatter

videos I saw recently of animals like wild sharks, lizards, and chameleons, showing humans affection... is bizarre

and a little sobering considering how we view them

most humans have no right to get upset at the thought of aliens exterminating the human race simply because we mean nothing to them
                  thats instinct lol. thats different.

Comment

I'll ask my dogs when I get home

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
                      I'll ask my dogs when I get home

Comment

Working...
                      X