Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say all heavyweight greats were in the same era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cassius Clay

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      The very best larger heavyweights have been athletic though. Lewis, Bowe and Wlad at their very best were excellent technicians with good footwork and quick hands. Dare I say an in shape Buster Douglas too.

Prior to 1990 I can't think of too many 6'5+, 240Lbs+ guys in heavyweight history with the athleticism of these examples.

Don't get me wrong, much as I think Lewis, Bowe etc would give prime Ali problems.....I wouldn't expect them to beat him. But 50-100 years from now we might have 300Lb+ 7 foot odd heavyweights with 90+ inches of reach and a fair modicum of athleticism. When/if will we have to conceed that a 212Lb Ali might not be able to compete simply due to size differential? As good as Ray Robinson was, he wasn't going to be beating heavyweights. Size does have to play a part eventually.....and it would with Ali. Granted, Ali would decimate Valuev.....but in a few years guys of that size and bigger might well have quick hands and feet and much better workrate.

The days of the large heavyweight being slow, plodding and uncoordinated may be coming to an end. The likes of the Jess Willard, Primo Carnera, Abe Simon stereotypes may end up firmly in the past.
      Personally I think Lewis is too slow. Bowe would have given Ali the most problems (out of those three) because of, among other things, his versatility. Wlad I think would actually be more of a problem than Lewis as well...but not too much of one. Ernie Terrel was about the same height, just as fast, and could barely touch Ali.

I'm just not optimistic in general about Boxer punchers against Ali, which is why I highlighted Bowe's versatility.
      Last edited by res; 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        well they are all slow and plodding right now so I guess we have a long ways to go. David Haye has a bit of speed but he's a blown up cruiser or a smaller HW who lifted weights, Wlad and Vitali are slow in my book - although a bit more athletic than typical men their size.
        Endorsed. Athleticism isn't graded on a curve :cool9:

Poet

Comment

If Johnson was as smart and savvy as they say he was then him. If we're going through a tournament then Demosey or Marciano because of Dempsey's guts and determination and Marciano's work ethic. Ali would be another favorite.

Comment

If one guy were to climb to the top of the heap, which is no guarantee at all, Ali would be the one to do it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
              You so ugly the sweat roll back off your forehead so it don't have to touch your face.
              Whoa big guy.. no need for comments like that..

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Endorsed. Athleticism isn't graded on a curve :cool9:

Poet
              So who you think would be Champ? Ali? Louis?

I know you're thinking one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                If Johnson was as smart and savvy as they say he was then him. If we're going through a tournament then Demosey or Marciano because of Dempsey's guts and determination and Marciano's work ethic. Ali would be another favorite.
                Marciano is overated and is probably the 3rd worst out of the whole pile.. the bottom two being the current heavyweight champions...

The reason Joe Calzaghe loves Marciano so much is because they both cherry picked throughout their whole careers and only fought elite fighters on the slide

Comment

Originally posted by King of Anal View Post

So who you think would be Champ? Ali? Louis?

I know you're thinking one of them
                  While I prefer Louis, Ali is my pick. Louis was awesome but Ali was a shade better (primarily because of his speed). If they fought IRL I'd be cheering for Louis.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by King of Anal View Post
                    Actually, I think he was quoting Ali there :chuckle9:

Comment

I'll put my vote in for Lennox Lewis. I was watching an Ali fight yesterday and I once again thought he didn't look like the greatest heavyweight ever. So feel like picking Lewis today.

Comment

Working...
                      X