No announcement yet.

Prime Iron Mike versus Joshua or Wilder today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E-Thug View Post
    Can't believe people are bigging up this era of HW's. The modern day 'super HW's' have been garbage for the past 15 odd years

You look at Joshua and he needed an oxygen mask after 5 rounds ffs

Wilder has fought no one worth a damn and gets tagged often

Klitschko has no inside game, been knocked out before, mentally suspect i.e. too tentative

Fury - got addicted to coke, became morbidly obese, was on top of the world and now look at him

All these modern training methods and nutrition and mother****ers have gone BACKWARDS in terms of skill. These new era fans get excited over physique, aesthetics and beating bums. Didn't Wilder come out the other day and say 'it's not about skills?'

Floyd said it best not long ago 'there's a guy out there with 30 knockouts in 30 wins and no one knows who he is'.
    I agree with this. Hell, I think Dempsey would be top 3 heavyweight in today's era.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
      He'd be too small for current decent HWs.. I'd say high chances Mike gets KOed than AJ or Wilder...
      Too small?

Ha!

Size alone doesn't win fights.

You should know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
        i see 1987 tyson beating 2017 aj (early ko) but losing to 2017 wilder (late tko).
        Wilder's looked truly awful since beating Stiverne.

He would only have had a punchers chance against Mike.

Mike would have gotten inside pretty easily.

Comment

Neither opponent has enough defense for prime Iron Mike. But AJ could take him out if he got lucky.

Comment

too long, too strong. i can see dw timing the fnck out of tyson.

imho
            Too long?

Wilder's size becomes a disadvantage against a guy like Mike.

Timing the **** out of him?

How? Mike would have crouched low and bobbed and weaved, whilst throwing lightening fast combinations with ferocity.

It would have been incredibly difficult for Wilder to have timed him.

Comment

StudentOfDaGame,

A Grandad Holmes. If you're using that as an example I'll stick to my Lennox Lewis example. Holmes also wasn't a giant compared to today's standards. I think we grossly under estimate the size difference. The HW division is different to all these little men.
              No, it's you who grossly overrates the size difference.

You don't realise that Wilder's size would actually place him at a disadvantage against a guy like Mike. Styles make fights.

Regarding Larry, yes, he was past his best and he'd been inactive. However, Mike was the only guy who ever knocked him out, and Larry was still a top level fighter in his 40's, during the early 90's. He gave a peak version of Evander a good fight, and he beat Ray Mercer.

Regarding his fight against Lennox, every knowledgeable fan knows that Mike was completely finished. He was fighting purely for the cheques at that point. It has no relevance to any debate. Mike went on to lose to Danny Williams just 2 years later.

6 foot 5 guys like who?. Did they have amateur pedigree like a Bronze or Gold in the Olympics?. Tyson @ 5 ft 9 would get put in a stretcher by both these beasts. It's a different era.
              Put in a stretcher?

Ha!

A different era?

Have you been watching Wilder's career? He won the belt from an average, out of shape Stiverne, who himself won the vacant title against Chris Arreola. He's then had to rely on his great right hand to get him out of trouble, because he has average skills. Apart from his KO of Szpilka, he has looked absolutely awful.

Wilder isn't a better fighter than the likes of Tucker or Spinks, and at the moment, Bruno showed me more.

Joshua has just had a great win, but he still has question marks over his chin and his stamina.

Tucker & Green are pre Super Heavy era. These guys today can do it all no matter what anybody says about "skills". If it was a question of power then I've got more faith in the bigger guys generating more velocity with their shots & catching Tyson than the other way around.
              Power means nothing if you can't land it. How would a guy like Wilder be able to time Mike to get him out of there? Stylistically, it would have been a horrible match up for him.

If my Nan had balls she'd be my Grandad. Douglas happened, Rooney parted & Robin took him to the cleaners. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. He is a icon & came before the Internet era, fair dues. Just remember it was easier to sell him as a product & much easier to hype up opponents he was facing. In today's social media era there's no way to hide.
              There's no way to hide?

Look at what you're doing with Wilder and Joshua.

Mike proved countless times that his style could beat much bigger guys.

The jury's out on Joshua, but Mike beat better HW's than Wilder. Wilder has done nothing and has shown nothing.

Comment

do you not see the career similarities between mikes and deontays ?!?!?!?

tyson built his empire off of BUMS.
                deontay is still trying to get his empire off the ground.

yes, tysons sad resume shlts all over dw's but im willing to give him time. i gave tyson time and he proved to be just a bully.
                Mike didn't just beat bums, and most of the lower level guys he faced, he beat with ease.

Deontay has actually struggled and looked poor against B and C class guys.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                  Yes, when the Super HW's face each other. It's much tougher keeping a 6 ft 6 Wlad off you than it is the tiny Tyson. These Super Heavies are different than before. They're successful Olympians and most importantly they can gauge distance and use every bit of their size.

Lennox Lewis set the blue print with Emmanuel Stewards help. Can anybody name a Super HW that Tyson beat that won anything as an amateur?. They've got nothing on this era.
                  Another ignorant post.

You still don't realise that Mike being smaller actually gave him an ADVANTAGE over the bigger guys.

They've got nothing on this era?

Mike beat guys who were BETTER than Wilder.

Wilder has done NOTHING.

What has Parker done?

Joshua still has question marks surrounding him.

Comment

Lennox Lewis knocked out Mike Tyson so what's your point?. Your post is void of any reasoning...

Joshua & Deontay are both Olympians. How many people did Tyson face with Deontay & Joshuas height? With their experience?. Wasn't Tyson an alternate for the US team?.

You didn't get people that could guage the distance as well as having a superior size advantage in those days.
                    In layman's terms big men where bums compared to post Lewis. Facts.
                    All of your posts are void of reasoning.

Nobody cares about what happened in 2002 against Lennox.

It would be like someone saying that a peak version of Roy Jones wouldn't have beaten Andre Ward, because he lost to Glen Johnson.

So what if Wilder and Joshua were Olympians?

Many people think that Joshua's opponent in the final was robbed, and Wilder has an awful skill set. His balance and technique have made him a laughing stock.

Wilder doesn't gauge distance well. He's extremely flawed. Seriously, have you not been watching his career unfold?

He would have had an absolute nightmare trying to time a bobbing and weaving Mike Tyson honing in on him. You are obsessed with size. Again: Against a guy like Mike, the huge advantage in size, actually starts to become a disadvantage.

Comment

Fair enough. All hypothetical as it stands but I'd like everyone to remember the dominance of Super Heavyweight since Emmanuel Stewart implemented his style on the modern era.
                      In Tysons day & age you didn't get Super HW's dominating Olympics and championship belts. They might have had reaction time but they could not box compared to this era.

Today's big men are way way way way better than their predecessors.
                      No they aren't!

Wilder is not better than the big guys of Mike's era.

Comment

Working...
                      X