Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Groves drops out, Should the WBSS Super Middleweight Tournament be Scrapped?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Groves drops out, Should the WBSS Super Middleweight Tournament be Scrapped?

The WBSS Cruiserweight Tournament has been a Great Success and i hope the WBSS Tournament goes on for many years to come with Champions from other Weight Classes too.

Unfortunately the WBSS Super Middleweight has been hit by the withdrawals of Juergen Braehmer for his fight with Callum Smith.

If George Groves is forced to drop out due to his shoulder injury, this would leave Callum Smith getting to the final having faced rather weak opposition in Erik Skoglund and Nieky Holzken.

Who will he face in the final? Eubank Jr doesn't deserve to be in the final after his weak performance in the Semi-final.

If Smith faces another weak opponent like Nieky Holzken in the final, the 2018 WBSS tournament winner becomes absolutely meaningless.

What are your thoughts, should the Super Middleweight tournament be scrapped for this year if George Groves drops out?
    Yes.
    42.86%
    No.
    50.00%
    Depends who they replace him with.
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Boxnation fan; 02-20-2018, 10:58 AM.

Yea man they should scrap it definitely. If you think otherwise YDKSAB. This tournament dindu nuffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaspa9t9 View Post
      Yea man they should scrap it definitely. If you think otherwise YDKSAB. This tournament dindu nuffin.
      No, i mean just scrapping this years Super Middle Final.

Means nothing if GG drops out.

Comment

Yes if they want it to have any sort of integrity at all it may be best to call off the remainder. They are hyping up the Muhammad Ali trophy and the CW will actually have earned something worthwhile, giving it for free to someone in SMW will immediately invalidate any worth it could possibly have.

Comment

Of course not. This sh^t can happen in a tournament. And the WBSS format has ALWAYS been to throw in a sub over push back a fight. EVERY SINGLE FIGHT has had a sub fighting on the main card. Completely f#cking stupid to throw away the tournament over something that was always a part of the tournament if someone was injured.

This tournament was built on real tournament rules (if you can't compete at the time scheduled you're f#cking out) while still giving fans the fights (via subs). I like it myself cuz tournaments shouldn't be won by mfers who fall apart or have an injury or w/e during the tournament.

Winning a WBSS tournament is about skill + toughness. Braehmer was too old & brittle or w/e the reason he fell out of this tournament is about to win this tournament. And Groves is too if he can't fight on June 2.

If you don't like that logic you ultimately don't like this tournament setup.

Comment

Man they gonna give Groves time, nothing to worry about. Groves is Sauerlands guy, and they aint gonna throw the cash away from an all UK final.

Comment

I don't agree it should be scrapped but if we get a final that consists of any fighters other than Callum Smith and George Groves then it will be a disaster. If Smith gets through this stand in, which i fully expect him to do, then the final will be exactly who i predicted it would be. For the sake of the tournament, they should bend the rules a little to give Groves every opportunity to make the final. Smith v Groves will be a cracker!

Comment

Boxing fans are so stupid.

Comment

Groves vs Smith was the final a lot were expecting so no or Smith vs Eubank Jr.

Also £4.8 mill to the winner so there is more chance in hell freezing over than Groves pulling out.

Comment

Why? I wanna see Eubank vs Smith then, half the purse and winner has to fight Groves?

Comment

Working...
                    X