Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Nonito Donaire make the Hall of Fame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Nonito Donaire make the Hall of Fame?

I think he does. He's without a doubt one of the greatest asian fighters ever. Plus he was absolutely destroying his competition during his reign as champ, also he probably has the best left hook of the last 20 years.
    Yes
    60.78%
    No
    35.29%
    Too soon to tell.
    3.92%

Yes no doubt about it. The run he had at the lower weights puts him in the hall.

The way he upset Darchinyan and ran through the division was kinda like what Pacquaio did..

Comment

There have been many that have achieved far less than Nonito and made it to the HOF. So I for one would be shocked if he did not.

Comment

At one point he was top 5 P4P so if he doesn't make it who will???

Comment

no, certainly not. since when was a fighter past prime at 31? Cant just say 'oh he was past prime' when he started losing, when better names came onto the scene his limitations were exposed. I didnt watch rigondeaux v donaire and think 'oh yeah donaires a hall of fame fighter', he looked terrible and he looked even worse against walters and darchinyan in the rematch.

Comment

I admittedly don't know exactly what qualifies one for the HOF but I'd have a hard time imagining him getting in. He had a great couple years but hit a wall when he moved up in competition. Looking back, I think he was a fun fighter to watch and he did well for a while but HOF doesn't spring to mind.

Comment

Fighters under 120lb don't typically have long, illustrious careers. So he might get in, but I don't think he should.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                Fighters under 120lb don't typically have long, illustrious careers. So he might get in, but I don't think he should.
                This Is a good point. In the smaller divisions speed and quickness are vital - those are also some of the traits to go first with age. It's kinda like in basketball guards don't last in the league as long as big men because they rely on speed and reflexes.

Comment

The Hall is a joke now. Anyone with a few paper titles gets in. It doesn't matter anymore.

Comment

He probably should. Big wins for the title at Flyweight (vs. Darchinyan) and Bantamweight (vs. Montiel) in addition to partially unifying Super Bantam against two good fighters (Mathebula and Nishioka) in addition to some other solid wins and good longevity for a smaller dude.

He ultimately went downhill rapidly after losing against Rigo and then badly against Walters (after a putrid re-match performance vs. Darchinyan) but he wouldn't be the first guy in the HOF to take a nosedive after a dominant loss.

I think he did enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X