WBC ordered Stevenson vs Gvozdyk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC ordered Stevenson vs Gvozdyk

Dan Rafael:

For various reasons light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson (29-1-1, 24 KOs) hasn’t made a mandatory defense for 4˝ years, but that's about to change. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman told ESPN that Stevenson has been ordered to face interim titlist and mandatory challenger Oleksandr Gvozdyk (15-0, 12 KOs) next. The purse bid is slated for July 2. If the sides don’t make a deal and it goes to a purse bid, Stevenson is entitled to 65 percent of the winning bid and Gvozdyk 35 percent. Carl Moretti of Top Rank, Gvozdyk’s promoter, said he has exchanged emails with Stevenson promoter Yvon Michel to begin conversations about making the fight. “We’d like the fight to happen sooner rather than later,” Moretti said. “Whatever happens at the purse bid, if we don’t make a deal, will dictate when and where the fight happens.” Stevenson, 40, of Montreal, has made nine defenses, most recently a hard-fought draw with former titlist Badou Jack on May 19. Gvozdyk, 31, of Ukraine, claimed the vacant interim belt by decision over Mehdi Amar on March 17.

Comment

Hell yeah! Gvozdyk has all the tools to be the best LHW today. Very excited for him to get a title shot. There are so many good fights that can be made at LHW. We already have Alvarez-Kovalev, we may get Gvozdyk-Stevenson. Perhaps Beterbiev - Bivol too?

Comment

It's suspect how some fighters are forced to face a mandatory or be stripped, while others can coast along for years without being held accountable. The PBC...uh, I mean WBC, is the worst when it comes to this. I see Gvozdyk winning a UD or Stevenson quitting on his stool, maybe faking an injury. That is, if he even accepts the fight. He may just "retire" to avoid the humiliating loss altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
          Hell yeah! Gvozdyk has all the tools to be the best LHW today. Very excited for him to get a title shot. There are so many good fights that can be made at LHW. We already have Alvarez-Kovalev, we may get Gvozdyk-Stevenson. Perhaps Beterbiev - Bivol too?
          ... we may get Gvozdyk-Stevenson?... it seems it's ordered already...

... (I can't see Bivol fighting Beterbiev right now)...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            It's suspect how some fighters are forced to face a mandatory or be stripped, while others can coast along for years without being held accountable. The PBC...uh, I mean WBC, is the worst when it comes to this. I see Gvozdyk winning a UD or Stevenson quitting on his stool, maybe faking an injury. That is, if he even accepts the fight. He may just "retire" to avoid the humiliating loss altogether.
            ... I'm afraid he might rather retire...

Comment

about time chickenson fought a mandatory and gvozdyk is a damn good one! jack had his chance and he choked! gvozdyk will show him how its done that's if chickenson doesn't act like the coward we know he is and chooses to retire/drop the belt rather than fight gvozdyk.

Comment

I think Stevenson is going to surprise people by getting a KO over Gvozdyk. I don't think he's done just yet.

Comment

Uh oh. Stevenson got another real fight on his hands. I think this one is gonna be asking to much of him. I though Jack did better than expected. If The Nail does better than expected he's not just beating Adonis he's stopping him as I see it.

Comment

For 4 and 1/2 years? That’s indefensible.

Comment

Working...
                    X