Collapse
No announcement yet.

De La Hoya: Golovkin fight is dead, trying to make Danny Jacobs fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People sure love beating that Ward-Golovkin horse to death. Agendas galore.

Anyways, if Canelo fights Jacobs good for him. Notice this was a first offer per Hearn so it will have to likely get better.

Someone said DLH offered Golovkin 40%? If true I think Golovkin should have taken it. But I just keep hearing DLH say 50/50 is what Golovkin wanted. If he offered 40% why isn't he mentioning that?

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
      When has Canelo lost a close decision fight? He gets all of them.
      I'm just saying.

Jacobs isn't coming in to lay down, and the talent difference isn't such that Alvarez is going to just smoke him either.

It's a 50/50 fight that either could win (Jacobs liking to scrap more than box creates a real good even fight, but Jacobs has shown that he can be walked into stuff too).

Nuance muddles the conclusion a bit, but helps make it far more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by S7V7N View Post
        Some might give reasons why things didn't happen, others tend to see them as excuses.

If some don't like a fighter because they view them as being hypocritical then there's nothing I can really do to change their mind. They'll always be able to justify this reasoning with anyone, we've all been hypocrites at one time or another. I simply feel there are more important determining factors on how my praise is distributed. There's a lot of posturing everywhere, I try to look at the big picture & see the underlying character rather than get caught up on the he said-she said.

I do take exception to some things that keep being repeated though, such as;

1- Calling SDchenko a "mandatory" when he was never ordered yet, no contract & was on short notice. That's just unreasonable to me.
        2- He offered Andre 50-50 in-the-middle, that's hardly playing A-side. 65-35 though is.
        3- I agree he's allowed Canelo to dictate terms & has stagnated his career. I'd much prefer him to fight BJS next.
        4- Never hear me say that GGG is perfect or has done everything I'd like ALL the time. However by all appearances he's always tried to prove himself & that's all I require as a fan.
        1. The IBF mandatory was basically set before the first Alvarez-Golovkin fight. No different than what Errol Spence Jr is doing in just under two weeks (to clear his calendar for the next year to whatever big fight he can get), Golovkin had a year to settle his mandatory. Golovkin had the WBC mandatory, had an unsanctioned fight against Vanes, and then the IBF did call that mandatory; "screw whatever money you think you're getting, fight our guy next or give us back our IBF belt".

2. Golovkin, in the face of public pressure and on TV, called to fight Andre Ward only at 164lbs, after thirsting for fights against Chavez Jr and Froch at 168lbs. Starting at 50% of the pot even then (when Golovkin would've maybe got 20%-30% of the money against Froch or Chavez Jr), was also pretty ridiculous.

Golovkin got 30% in the first fight, and then was set to get 35% for the rematch after the draw; what did you expect Golovkin to get for the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          I'm just saying.

Jacobs isn't coming in to lay down, and the talent difference isn't such that Alvarez is going to just smoke him either.

It's a 50/50 fight that either could win (Jacobs liking to scrap more than box creates a real good even fight, but Jacobs has shown that he can be walked into stuff too).

Nuance muddles the conclusion a bit, but helps make it far more accurate.
          50-50 fight?
          Goes to a decision?

Canelo will get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            1. The IBF mandatory was basically set before the first Alvarez-Golovkin fight. No different than what Errol Spence Jr is doing in just under two weeks (to clear his calendar for the next year to whatever big fight he can get), Golovkin had a year to settle his mandatory. Golovkin had the WBC mandatory, had an unsanctioned fight against Vanes, and then the IBF did call that mandatory; "screw whatever money you think you're getting, fight our guy next or give us back our IBF belt".

2. Golovkin, in the face of public pressure and on TV, called to fight Andre Ward only at 164lbs, after thirsting for fights against Chavez Jr and Froch at 168lbs. Starting at 50% of the pot even then (when Golovkin would've maybe got 20%-30% of the money against Froch or Chavez Jr), was also pretty ridiculous.

Golovkin got 30% in the first fight, and then was set to get 35% for the rematch after the draw; what did you expect Golovkin to get for the fight?
            1- Dev just got the #1 IBF spot less than a month before Canelo vs Golovkin happened, then the WBC ordered the immediate rematch. That pushed the IBF back until after the rematch. It's unreasonable to think that GGG should be forced to fight a mandatory in less than a months notice. Now, could he have stayed active & fought him over the winter? Yes, I would have supported that action but guess they didn't want him to with the rematch looming.

2- Ward agreed to the 50% split, just not the weight. Must not have been that ridiculous. Both his fights vs Kov did less numbers than GGG's so it actually played out that way as well. Ward vs GGG would have sold much more so I think the split proposed was pretty fair. Can't argue on the Chavez & Froch fights. Much more exposure, not sure what the split would have been for those since they never happened. I read that Froch turned down the same PPV structure that Brook took.

3- Loeffler deffinitely settled for too little for the first fight @ 30% imo, but they were being pretty desperate after waiting so long so I guess they caved. I thought GGG should have taken the 40% if indeed was offered. Sure he should have won the first fight but even if that was case I don't see how he could have asked for more than 50% unless he was simply going off principle with the PED's. It's a lot of money & neither makes it without the other. At this point in his career he should take the big money because he doesn't have the built in fan base that will continue to buy. He'll really lose his shine if he loses a fight or two.

Comment

Working...
            X