No announcement yet.

My gaming PC is the biggest waste of money in my entire life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
    So if you used it, it wouldn't be a waste of money?

You could have picked up a Phanteks P400A case for cheaper. B450 motherboard is cheaper and is great for Ryzen. I don't know if you need all of those fans with the Phanteks case and a nice CPU cooler. I certainly don't and i've only got a Hyper 212 BE CPU cooler which is a basic aftermarket CPU cooler.

I would have personally have picked up the 3700x instead of the 3800x. Save more money and lose VERY slight performance gain. You probably save like $300 bucks with all of that easy. Oh and why do you need 64GB of RAM? Games right now MAX out at 16GB. I would have gone with max 32GB.
    If I can go back in time, and I were to still want a gaming PC, i’d have gone with the same rig honestly.

Why 64gb ram? Why not? More ram is always better. The X570 takes 128gb of ram and I don’t ask myself why did I go with 64gb, I ask myself why didn’t I just max out and go with 128gb ram? Any serious PC gamer should want as much ram as possible. 16gb ram is the new standard, it’s no longer 8gb. Games are now recommending 16gb. 32gb is more than fine, it’s an excellent idea to have double what the standard is. But I said f/ck it, I want quadruple the amount of the standard cause I want the PC to be future-proofed to death

B450 motherboard? already had that one. My lesser gaming PC has a B450.

I understand the aspect of “saving” money, but when I was purchasing these parts, saving money was not my goal. It was making a beast of a gaming PC.

I wanted to save money on my car insurance by switching to Geico, and I did that, and did lower my car insurance.

But at the time, I didn’t care about saving money by buying lesser pc parts.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      If I can go back in time, and I were to still want a gaming PC, i’d have gone with the same rig honestly.

Why 64gb ram? Why not? More ram is always better. The X570 takes 128gb of ram and I don’t ask myself why did I go with 64gb, I ask myself why didn’t I just max out and go with 128gb ram? Any serious PC gamer should want as much ram as possible. 16gb ram is the new standard, it’s no longer 8gb. Games are now recommending 16gb. 32gb is more than fine, it’s an excellent idea to have double what the standard is. But I said f/ck it, I want quadruple the amount of the standard cause I want the PC to be future-proofed to death

B450 motherboard? already had that one. My lesser gaming PC has a B450.

I understand the aspect of “saving” money, but when I was purchasing these parts, saving money was not my goal. It was making a beast of a gaming PC.

I wanted to save money on my car insurance by switching to Geico, and I did that, and did lower my car insurance.

But at the time, I didn’t care about saving money by buying lesser pc parts.
      There will be a new version of DDR that will come out before your PC actually makes use of that 64GB. Hell, you could pop in 128GB but it doesn't make any sense because you are not making use of that extra money spent. You could use that money on DDR5 that will come out fairly soon than wasting it on DDR4 as nothing actually utilises it. You rather get lower amount of GB in this instance with a higher MHZ/better timings.

Fair enough, if it wasn't your goal to save money then thats all good then. I thought it may have been. It is a beast rig. Won't you be playing Cyberpunk/CoD Warzone?

Comment

bruh you dropped 3k on a hobby you dont even do.

Ive been into computers for 20+ years now and my system isnt that nice and I could afford it, I just know that you pay waay more for that last top 10% in performance. Ive never bought the top of the line GPU or CPU. I have a 2070 and 3600 and thats after using my old 3770k intel system for 7 years before reselling it.

If you were starting out on guitar and not sure if you would get into it or not, you wouldnt drop 3k on a guitar would you?
        1bad65 1bad65 likes this.

Comment

Sometimes we spend money very stupidly

Comment

I still have this sh/t.

And I still don’t use it.

And the 2080 is probably close to obsolete now isn’t it?

I can go buy a Tesla right now and wouldn’t have as much buyer’s remorse as I did here.

On a side note, my friend one up’ed me, this guy bought an $8k gaming rig from one of those websites that put them together for you. It’s a beast, but just wow $8k. I can’t.

Meanwhile, I managed to get myself both the Xbox Series X and the PS5 from Gamestop as bundles (months apart) for $815 ish each. And we use them so much, it is absolutely not a waste of money at all. Zero regret, two great purchases. $1630 for two consoles > Gaming PC. Several hundred dollars worth of games still don’t bring it close to $3k yet, I don’t think.

Comment

Xbox upstairs, Playstation downstairs. Not much outlay, loads of enjoyment. Nash out - Nash is the wisest of wise men, and the greatest of all Nash's.
              P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Nice specs. As you said, if you're not using it you might as well sell it. I have to deploy in a couple weeks so I was looking to get a new PC for school. The wife ends up getting me this high end laptop cause she works at a software company and her boss and co-workers recommended it. This thing is for content creators and has all kinds of stuff I'll never use. I'll essentially use Microsoft Office to get homework done and that's it.
                P to the J P to the J -Kev- -Kev- like this.

Comment

400-650 watt Nvidia 40 series cards on the horizon....

How much are these joints going to cost?

You got to pay to play, but really, unless somebody is going to push the tech to it's limits and can't have a game playable on these newer consoles, I cant see myself throwing down 2k+++ just for a GPU.

Not knocking those that do.
                  -Kev- -Kev- likes this.

Comment

I moved to ****ty SBCs

Comment

I know one thing is for sure, in this lifetime, I am not building another gaming PC again. I’d buy one, but not building one again. That one in the opening post I put together was admittedly a hassle. It was a headache. Building was fun like 10 years ago, it was a fun challenge for me. But it is just no longer fun. I just want to plug and play.

Comment

Working...
                      X