No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins Returns on 3/9 at Barclays, Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
    He should fight Cloud. He's a bad matchup for Cleverly.

He'll cut Cleverly's workrate down a ton. The Cloud matchup would be better.
    Apparently you're not a Boxing Genius as your name suggests.

If Cleverly is the easier of the two, then naturally a 47 year old will go after the easier style matchup at this stage of his career. Does he really need to pick the harder style to impress someone?

No, all he needs to do is get a belt and more importantly another win. It's just icing on a cake at this point. Cherry picking is allowed.

Comment

not watching it........

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        He's a shell of his former shelf IMO. Less than that.

Even in winning, he will look terrible in winning.

Having to fake low blows to get breaks is not how Hopkins should be remembered.
        All those aesthetics are irrelevant. It's about stats at this point.

Winning relevant fights against relevant fighters at 47 is what he will be remember for, if he does it yet again. Not whether he pleased the audience in entertainment value or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          LOL if you know a little bit about Hopkins you know fighters like Cloud are the type of fighters Hopkins eats for breakfast, they're tailor made for him. You can't be seriously hyping Cloud, get off that bandwagon please for your own sake.
          I tend to agree. I don't know much about Cleverly but Cloud's stationary style allows Hopkins to get out of his running shell, and open up like he did against Pavlik.

Comment

I'd much rather prefer if he flipped it on them and pulled a contrarian move.

Instead of facing one of these belt holders, choose Zolte Erdei instead. And then precede to educate the boxing media and fans during the build up on who and what Erdei is - the guy who never lost his lineal title.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
              All those aesthetics are irrelevant. It's about stats at this point.

Winning relevant fights against relevant fighters at 47 is what he will be remember for, if he does it yet again. Not whether he pleased the audience in entertainment value or not.
              Hopkins has done enough.

I'm not a fan of him but he doesn't deserve to be remembered for things he does well passed his best.

He's never going to get knocked out or atleast I doubt he will. But, people are already remembering some of his antics in his recent fights and I simply don't think he deserves it.

He should hang them up with his head held high or have a fair well fight. IMO.

Comment

Hopkins has done enough.

I'm not a fan of him but he doesn't deserve to be remembered for things he does well passed his best.

He's never going to get knocked out or atleast I doubt he will. But, people are already remembering some of his antics in his recent fights and I simply don't think he deserves it.

no offense, but it's up to hopkins to judge if he's 'done enough' - it's his career. to make up for his lack of youth (boxing is a young man's sport don't forget) he needs to use every ounce of experience to compete with these young lions. so he's dirty? that's for the ref to judge, not the audience. as cupocity said, he's making history and that's what he'll ultimately be remembered for; not the vocal minority who didn't appreciate his boxing style.

Comment

Hopkins has done enough.

I disagree. I think he should stick around as a part-time fighter till age 50.

Providing of course that he doesn't go on a multi-fight losing streak. Then I wouldn't want him to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by winky's right View Post
                    no offense, but it's up to hopkins to judge if he's 'done enough' - it's his career. to make up for his lack of youth (boxing is a young man's sport don't forget) he needs to use every ounce of experience to compete with these young lions. so he's dirty? that's for the ref to judge, not the audience. as cupocity said, he's making history and that's what he'll ultimately be remembered for; not the vocal minority who didn't appreciate his boxing style.
                    i feel ya, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to mix a little entertainment for the buck...we know a ko or tko from hopkins is a little far fetched at this point, but i thought how he fought pascal in the rematch (mixed in some combos, did the pushups between rounds, etc.) would be crowd rousing at least from a 47 year old..

Comment

If you cant appreciate Hopkins skill you dont appreciate fine boxing. And people overexaggerate dull fights. He has just as many good fights. He was always exciting when he was in his younger days. He gave a young Glenn Johnson an ass whoopin. Cant remember the name but the 2 fights with the other guy besides Pascal to hurt him those were fun fights too.

But even old people say calzaghe, Jones and Taylor 2, Dawson were boring. but Pavlik, Taylor 1, Pascal 1 & 2, Elchols 1 & 2 were all exciting and the Tarver fight had good moments too.

People need to STFU about boxers retiring or keep going. Its there choice and atgs like Hopkins and Marquez i just appreciate to watch live while i can in my generation because when their done ill miss em.

I prefer Cloud itd be like the Pascal schoolings pretty exciting. And hes the more proven of the 3 with a tough defense in a close solid fight with Glenn Johnson. Who the hell is Cleverly? Smashes a tomato can in america and thinks he deserves Hopkins? Prove he could even hang with even the Pascal or even Ishmil even tho he got caught earlier this year i still find it hard to believe Cleverly could even smash him.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X