Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casual Hold'em players...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know what you're talking about. I play it casually through the Facebook/Zynga app.

I primarily stick to the shootout tournaments as they're more fun. The first go-around, at least half the table goes all in. I've made it a habit to fold even if I have an AK, KK type hand as someone is bound to get lucky with a straight/suit. Sometimes I even fold with an AA.

Comment

Yep, that Zynga app one is sometimes a mess online. Usually there will be 1-2 players at a full table other than yourself that take the game seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        I like playing hold'em for no money to practice and for fun when there isn't the means to find an actual table for money somewhere, but I find it difficult to actually enjoy a game when there are casual players/non players not taking it seriously to the point where an actual realistic poker environment doesn't exist.

I don't understand how some people can find enjoyment in doing irrational things like going all in every hand pre flop and/or bluffing every single hand.

What is so hard about approaching the game correctly and not throwing caution to the wind just because there is no money at stake? How do you expect to get better like that, and if you don't care about the game or getting better, why even play? Antagonizing other players is a childish form of entertainment if you do it at the expense of your own producctivity.

And before anyone says so, no, I am not losing hands to these players, in the end they lose themselves off of the table, but the point of the rant is that I wish I could enjoy a good game without worrying about checking an obsenely absurd and trollish bet every single turn, it's unrealistic and it takes away from the spirit of the game.

That is all.
        Play for real money then.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
          If you actually read the post you just quoted, you would see where it says that I do, but I can't do it daily, so when I can't go somewhere to play for money I play online, which is what this is about. It's a vaild conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
            You say that like it's a bad thing. And to me that's just a category. I prefer to think of it as, critical thinking with money at stake.

On my smart phone.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I do enjoy poker and betting on sports. I think gambling is my only weakness. I was just letting Anorak know that poker is a form of gambling and you need to be prepared to be ****ed over before he gives us anymore sob stories.

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            You mean because it's illegal in most States? I never got that... you can buy guns but not put a few cents down on a sporting fixture.

Anyway, I'm not really from Fat Yankistan.
            Yeah I find it very strange that you can buy assault riffles from your nearest corner shop but you can't play cards for money. Very strange indeed.

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            My sentiments exactly. You will never be able to generate a real poker environment when you're playing with monopoly money.
            Last edited by Adamjr91; 04-20-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
              Go here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/

They have forums for all levels of players, and could recommend literature. I don't know, since I never really got into poker. I like playing with friends after watching fights, but that's the extent of my exposure/knowledge.

Warning: forum is much, and I mean, MUCH BETTER, than here. Once you start posting there, you won't come back here. People on there are generally intelligent and bright (unlike here). They're also much funnier.
              I will look into the literature but about the bolded, please. this is the #1 boxing site in the world, it has its flaws but the forums other than the lounge and NSB are legit,no matter how impressed I would be by that site I would never give up my loyalty to the only two discussion forums I ever plan to be an active member on: BoxingScene and PSD. I love poker but I am only into non career related discussion forums for sports, and PSD is my forum for all non boxing sports.

The idiots and racists here are part of what makes this place so awesome, it's great to take advantage of and make sport of simple minds.
              Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
              I know what you're talking about. I play it casually through the Facebook/Zynga app.

I primarily stick to the shootout tournaments as they're more fun. The first go-around, at least half the table goes all in. I've made it a habit to fold even if I have an AK, KK type hand as someone is bound to get lucky with a straight/suit. Sometimes I even fold with an AA.
              I will try the shootout tournaments but I am jewish with my chips.

I do the same thing though, I won't get into my style of play too much because I don't want people figuring out how I play but I do the same thing, people like to go all in for the F of it and it's ridiculous. You can tell when people aren't playing like they would if they had real money at stake and I feel its important to play as if you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
                I didn't mean it in a bad way. I do enjoy poker and betting on sports. I think gambling is my only weakness. I was just letting Anorak know that poker is a form of gambling and you need to be prepared to be ****ed over before he gives us anymore sob stories.

Yeah I find it very strange that you can buy assault riffles from your nearest corner shop but you can't play cards for money. Very strange indeed.

My sentiments exactly. You will never be able to generate a real poker environment when you're playing with monopoly money.
                I love gambling as well, with moderation, lol.

The laws here in the USA make no sense, I agree.

Like I told the other poster, I do play for money when possible but it can't always be done and I like to get my fix on with fake money over not playing at all, it sucks people ruin the experience though.

Comment

i've got about three milli in fake points on the poker app on my phone. i started with 30K, IIRC. there are definitely people who take their chips seriously, and it's a great way to keep sharp and learn the game. i enjoy it when i've got some downtime away from home. airport layover, etc.

Comment

I remember in high school sometimes my boy would bring his poker chips to school and we set up shop with 6-8 players at these tables in the library, we almost lost privilege of playing in there because we would bust nuts(shout) when we would show hands sometimes. Good times.

They banned us from playing Poker senior year tho, was wack.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      i've got about three milli in fake points on the poker app on my phone. i started with 30K, IIRC. there are definitely people who take their chips seriously, and it's a great way to keep sharp and learn the game. i enjoy it when i've got some downtime away from home. airport layover, etc.
                      Yea I am having a blasst with it, I prefer playing at a real table with real people in the same room, but this beats not playing at all.
                      Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                      I remember in high school sometimes my boy would bring his poker chips to school and we set up shop with 6-8 players at these tables in the library, we almost lost privilege of playing in there because we would bust nuts(shout) when we would show hands sometimes. Good times.

They banned us from playing Poker senior year tho, was wack.
                      I used to play at school for chump change as a kid, poker, craps, and other random ghetto games I have forgotten now. We wold be hiding from the teachers but it was good fun.

Now I only like to play hold'em, and I like wagering on sports, that's the extension of my gambling these days. I still enjoy spades and bones but I dont run into people who play them much anymore.

I did go through a period where I loved hustling (or trying to anyway) pool in pool halls with some friends, but its a dangerous game, trying to hustle drunk people in pool, even if you are a shark.

Comment

Working...
                      X