This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Everyone and their dog knows this was the one time Roy got knocked down in his prime. It looked like a solid enough punch. But give Del Valle some credit. Going the distance with prime Jones was a good result at that time; not something a 'weak bum' could usually pull off....

It's not like Roy got up on shaky legs or was staggering around disorientated afterwards. He looked embarrassed more than anything.

After Tarver 2 he looked far more vulnerable. The shot that Danny Green knocked Jones down with looked far weaker to my eyes (granted I do recall there was some controversy concerning Green's hand wraps That night though).
    Talk about rose tinted glasses....

Comment

Originally posted by Archie_Leach View Post
      Talk about rose tinted glasses....
      Hell, I've already said on this thread that I'm no Jones Jnr 'fanboy'.

If he always had poor punch resistance, as he appeared to have from Tarver 2 onwards, so be it.

I'm just not convinced it was always that bad.

Comment

--- Maybe a handful of fighters were as dominant as Jones was in winning rds while showing excellent defense against any punishment.

As they used to say about a prime Tyson, "his offense was his defense."

Comment

Hell, I've already said on this thread that I'm no Jones Jnr 'fanboy'.

If he always had poor punch resistance, as he appeared to have from Tarver 2 onwards, so be it.

I'm just not convinced it was always that bad.
          I believe that weight drop killed him for good. He was never even close to being the same after that.

Comment

--- Before the Ruiz fight his trainer was talkin the beginning of the end with his reflexes in decline.

Roy was coddled by the ref for that fight who would let Ruiz bull him into the ropes.

He weighed in at 193, only a few lbs over his traditional fight weight as LH into the 185-188 range.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              I believe that weight drop killed him for good. He was never even close to being the same after that.

No reason why it would. Didn't the halfwit just say that he was only a very few pounds over where he fought as a light heavy? There is no reason losing a couple of extra pounds is going to have that effect, no reason at all. Think about it. You have done nothing but subscribe to a myth of the Jones fan boys without really stopping to think about it. Then explain for us how losing 5 extra lbs was the demise of Jones's career and his winning ways.

Comment

The latter part of his career Jones stopped ROIDS. You can see it in his physique quite clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  The latter part of his career Jones stopped ROIDS. You can see it in his physique quite clearly.

Agreed. And started getting knocked cold regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    I watched the full Glen Johnson vs Jones fight this afternoon. Jones looked so flat and lacking in energy/stamina.

What else can we blame If not the weight loss? Age? Motivation?Sudden decline? Culminated punishment?

All my eyes tell me is that the guy who fought both Tarver fights and Johnson was significantly less impressive than the guy who fought the three previous fights up to and including Ruiz.....

Comment

I watched the full Glen Johnson vs Jones fight this afternoon. Jones looked so flat and lacking in energy/stamina.

What else can we blame If not the weight loss? Age? Motivation?Sudden decline? Culminated punishment?

All my eyes tell me is that the guy who fought both Tarver fights and Johnson was significantly less impressive than the guy who fought the three previous fights up to and including Ruiz.....

Are you listening, Sug? He stopped taking Roids. You had better believe he did not look half as impressive as the old Roy with his juice firkin strapped 'round his neck.

I cannot say if juice can help with punch resistance. It certainly helps with avoiding them and with the reflexes that take most of their impact off.

I would like to believe that there are Roy Joneses and Usain Bolts among the human race that can attain their achievements naturally without a juice pouch. My desire to believe is usually rewarded with a slap in the face to bring me back to reality.

Rule # 1:

When one human being easily dominates all the best in his field, and the field is super trained, be very suspicious.

Rule #2:

Be very suspicious of any athlete that looks super human in some regard. It can be anything from physique to beard to stamina--any regard, or all of them. It only takes one super human aspect to clue you in.

Rule # 3: Be very suspicious of sudden drop offs in performance from those already under suspicion. At that point they have to quit juice to get the eyes off them, and their athletic performance suffers notably.

The other reason they quit is they get worried about their health finally. No doubt, certain close associates have apprised them of some of the dangers, and they have heard scary rumors. They have millions of dollars in the bank. They begin to wonder if they will live long enough to enjoy it after retirement, so they quit the juice. Of course their performance suffers mightily and instantly.
                      Last edited by The Old LefHook; 07-14-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X