Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn and Matchroom has had a horrible 2017

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matchroom has been in the business of promoting AJ, above and beyond everyone else, for about 2 years now. They understand the cash cow they have and they have pumped so much money into it that they don't have enough to fulfil fight night dates on normal sky. It's a stinker for boxing fans because SKy used to be great for it.

Comment

Been a good year on balance in terms of income and signings; they've got the cream of the British Olympic crop signed up (Buatsi, Okolie, Cordina) plus AJ is the biggest star in boxing right now.

I have found that their promotions from a non-casual point of view have become extremely tedious, with the same four or five prospects involved in foregone conclusion mismatches over and over again. I understand what they're doing, but it's ****ing tedious.

Comment

Boxing fans are the biggest cynics. Feels like they always want to bring down anything good with boxing. Matchroom has the biggest mass appeal of all promoters and attract casual fans, so they are not going away anywhere.

Comment

Joshua and Bellew still head ppv shows, you've got a potential one with Parker vs Whyte creating an absolute monster earner with Joshua vs Parker then. Bellew vs Haye, Ward and/or Parker.

I think their is the possibility of Callum Smith being their next huge marketable name if he trumps Eubank Jr. in the WBSS, Eubanks already fighting on ITV ppv and the natural progression and passing of the baton/torch Smith kinda inherits should he win versus Eubank I feel is inevitable.

They'll make a killing from the Joshua/Pulev mandatory too, I expect with Brook falling off it's created a place for an event like Parker vs Whyte, to go along with the likelihood of Bellew vs Ward at cruiser.

I'm sure they had plans for Davies to be the next mouthy ppv attraction but it's back to the drawing board in regards to that one. Really feel they missed the boat with Josh Taylor, he looks explosive and Jesus he can box too man. A possible fight versus Luke Campbell the gold medal winner maybe could lead to a ppv fight if they keep winning and eventually collide.
          Last edited by Jewish-Reptile; 07-11-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Im on my smartphone so i cant do quick research, but if matchroom is full of mismatches, Why have most of his fighters lost?

Putting Joshua in with klitschko that early was risky.
            Same with doing the Spence fight (he could have just move up in weight).
            Unification with indongo was also a decent matchup.
            His undercards most of the time are really bad, but he is still by far the best promoter in the UK and holds a position currently which promoters would yearn for.

Comment

I have no idea where you're pulling this from. AJ vs. Wlad was probably the biggest fight in UK history, and there are plenty of others on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
              X