Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you honestly rate Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously a very good fighter but I don't compare guys from different eras because we can't ever be sure who would beat who.

But most importantly hes a blast to watch fight. Hes not running around throwing 12 punches a round boring us to death. I'll take a B+ fighter who's exciting over an A+ fighter who puts you to sleep.

Comment

• 13 pages and nobody pointed out the thread tag

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
        I think he's an A class fighter. I don't think he's the greatest of all time but he has all of the fundamentals with incredible durability. He also has decent speed coupled with a stiff, accurate jab. He's also rocking a sick package and thudding power.
        The great thing about GGG is that he's always fought at 160. So he ranks in the top twenty at least as far as middleweights. In fact, I'd say he's top ten, given his accomplishments. His resume is lacking in names although a solid win in Spetember over Canelo is very respectable. Throw in a BJS and a Jacobs rematch and a win over Charlo and he's golden imo. He fought for a long time to get the big dogs. Now we see what he's made of...at 36. Too bad he couldn't have fought them sooner.

Still, top ten ATG middleweight imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
          13 pages and nobody pointed out the thread tag
          By the way, check out that thread tag- "I'm gay"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
            By the way, check out that thread tag- "I'm gay"

Its there for every one of his threads lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
              Its there for every one of his threads lmao
              I didn't notice one time.

Now I'll notice every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
                Your system lacks common sense. Under you rating system Ricky Hatton's defeat of Castillo is the same as Mayweather's victory. In your system beating a fighter who is washed up is the same as being a fighter when he was truly great. Again, name one of those fighters who was fighting at A level at the time Mayweather fought them (excluding Castillo and Corrales). And get the hell out with Zab Judah being an A level fighter in any scenario.

Castillo was considered by probably more people than not to have beat Mayweather in their first fight. That doesn't mean because some people see them as 1-1 they are basically equivalents. That Castillo is elevated to an A+ fighter as you have him. This coming from a huge Castillo fan.

Your ranking system is just silly and would be laughed off the stage by any person who covers boxing.
                Castillo didn't fight Hatton right after he fought Mayweather. The Hatton fight was literally 5 years after.

Maybe it's because you don't play Madden, lol.

When Jose Luis Castillo fought Floyd Mayweather, he was basically at or near his peak; a relatively fresh 28 years old, experience that comes from having a decade as a pro, basically filling out where he was supposed to be.

Floyd wasn't yet the finished article, but he was able to take on a really good fighter on form, and still beat him, before immediately coming back and beating him again.

No one is saying that JLC was an A+ fighter; if this were Madden, he'd likely be a mid to high 80s player (85-88 would seem reasonable) when he fought Floyd.

5 years later, with the extra age and the wars on his body since then, plus fighting beyond his prime weight, and Castillo was likely a low to mid 80s player (81-83) by the time that Hatton fought him.

Floyd peaked at a 99, imo; folks will quibble about the actual point where he got there, but the Gatti performance was basically punch perfect so let's put it there for now.

No different than the truly great players in Madden, Floyd held onto that 99 for a while, before riding out the rest of his run at 97/98 before finishing his Showtime/CBS deal. Some time passes, Floyd comes back for the McGregor fight, and arguably looks like he's slipped to being a 92/93, but that's at 40.

Floyd, for whatever reason, comes back to fight today, even on his way to 42, and he's still likely a 90/91.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                  Lol @ you being a ******

It's not just me who thinks this you twit, it's every boxing expert in the fkn world lol!!!!!!

Just close your account and burry your ignorant head in the sand
                  Teddy Atlas has no qualms marvelling at Lomachenko, because he's going off of what he's seeing with his eyes (I think he oversells it a bit, especially with Lomachenko being a bit stifled when you don't open up for him, but that can be argued).

Not for a moment have you ever seen him gush over Golovkin anywhere near how he's gushed over Lomachenko or Crawford or Ward or Mayweather.

And that's without really looking into it, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                    Now I think I understand your and so many others on here's problem............

You confuse being an 'A' fighter with and ATG fighter.

I just wanted to clear that up.

And just for the record, Ward is an ATG in my opinion. Not on the RJJR level but around the Calzaghe level. That said, Kovalev beat that a55 in the first fight and was winning the 2nd but nobody is calling him an 'A' fighter.

There's something wrong with that.
                    Who talked about 'A' fighter and ATG fighter? I was just scoring Golovkin in relation to all boxers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Castillo didn't fight Hatton right after he fought Mayweather. The Hatton fight was literally 5 years after.

Maybe it's because you don't play Madden, lol.

When Jose Luis Castillo fought Floyd Mayweather, he was basically at or near his peak; a relatively fresh 28 years old, experience that comes from having a decade as a pro, basically filling out where he was supposed to be.

Floyd wasn't yet the finished article, but he was able to take on a really good fighter on form, and still beat him, before immediately coming back and beating him again.

No one is saying that JLC was an A+ fighter; if this were Madden, he'd likely be a mid to high 80s player (85-88 would seem reasonable) when he fought Floyd.

5 years later, with the extra age and the wars on his body since then, plus fighting beyond his prime weight, and Castillo was likely a low to mid 80s player (81-83) by the time that Hatton fought him.

Floyd peaked at a 99, imo; folks will quibble about the actual point where he got there, but the Gatti performance was basically punch perfect so let's put it there for now.

No different than the truly great players in Madden, Floyd held onto that 99 for a while, before riding out the rest of his run at 97/98 before finishing his Showtime/CBS deal. Some time passes, Floyd comes back for the McGregor fight, and arguably looks like he's slipped to being a 92/93, but that's at 40.

Floyd, for whatever reason, comes back to fight today, even on his way to 42, and he's still likely a 90/91.
                      Between your Madden reference and Joe Frazier comments you sound like a millennial.

Gatti!?? LOL! That boy was destroyed 5 years earlier in his career by DLH. In fact stopped earlier. And that was before his wars with Ward. Bringing up Gatti, oh brother.

My point is many of not most of these A fighters that Floyd faced weren’t fighting at 90+ level when Floyd fought them. You throw up their names but fail to mention post Castillo few of them were in their prime or even near prime.

Floyd is a great fighter, one of the best. His resume is excellent but also overrated when people put it on this crazy pedestal, especially after Castillo (who I believe beat him in the first fight). Lots of great names but names who’s rep exceeded the fighter he actually faced. I mean hell you are actually throwing guys up like Gatti and Judah. DLH is a classic example. The DLH he faced was so far past his prime. Yet people will throw that name up there like it was a significant accomplishment. Same holds true of Pac destroying DLH. Please. Old man Whitaker’s performance vs. prime DLH in controversial defeat was more impressive than what Floyd did.

If there is one thing Floyd did that is undeniable is he made money. Can’t argue that anyone did it any better. IN that I’ll give him a 100/100. A combination of talent, promotion and luck came together and made him a cash king.

Comment

Working...
                      X