No announcement yet.

How did GGG lose so much speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did GGG lose so much speed

In the ams he competed at 165 if I am not mistaken and his speed was above average, just look any of his amateur fights. I don't know if it's the weights or what. I know that most amateurs even the Khans and Lomas lose speed when they turn pro but GGG looks like a different fighter speed-wise. I keep saying he was better technically as well as an amateur, but some of you call me crazy. He's become strictly a power puncher now. His stance is all square compared to what it used to be. He steps with his heels first toes second.

I am not surprised either b.c. Kazahstan boxing school is one of the best in the world, top 3 without a doubt.

abel sanchez changed his style

personally i think it was smart since his physical attributes greatly complement the seek-and-destroy style. he is a world class boxer, but not the very best; on the other hand, his power is the very best, so it makes sense to reorient his style around this trait. plus if he had stayed more faithful to his amateur style he may never have become so popular

Comment

Well he's almost 35 now, so that's one reason. Also, he's probably become reliant on power and abandoned some other things in fights. I guess nobody can say he was wrong to do so as he keeps winning.

He does seem a fairly smart guy so you would have to assume that he knows he would need to box more against certain opponents and show other sides to his game but i wonder if some fighters just get stuck in a habit and find it hard to break that.

Look at Wlad, for about 10 years he got away with jab, grab, left hook, straight right. That's all he had needed and he come up against a fighter that could take away some of those things from him and he looked lost in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        He does seem a fairly smart guy so you would have to assume that he knows he would need to box more against certain opponents and show other sides to his game but i wonder if some fighters just get stuck in a habit and find it hard to break that.
        i think he did show that he can still box more cautiously when he fought lemieux. his defence was still not perfect but he was on his toes a little more and primarily working behind the jab

Comment

He hasn't really lost too much speed, he consistently beats people to the jab and was even beating Brook to the jab, who you would initially assume is a naturally faster fighter. The thing is with amateur boxing (before the removal of headgear), speed was more important because you'd usually try to beat your opponent to the punch to gain more points as quickly as possible, without quite as much emphasis on power. I think GGG is a healthy balance of power and speed at the moment as a pro.

Comment

his speed is underrated, quicker than you think. Especially with his hooks

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
              He hasn't really lost too much speed, he consistently beats people to the jab and was even beating Brook to the jab, who you would initially assume is a naturally faster fighter. The thing is with amateur boxing (before the removal of headgear), speed was more important because you'd usually try to beat your opponent to the punch to gain more points as quickly as possible, without quite as much emphasis on power. I think GGG is a healthy balance of power and speed at the moment as a pro.
              That's true too and a very good point.

The amateur game was much different back then with the points system, it was very different to the pro game. That's why the likes of Amir Khan won silver medal at the age of 17 at the Olympics. Back then a guy with the speed of Khan and decent skills could amass points quickly and win fights.

If Golovkin was in the amateurs now, his style would still do well as it's judged more like the pro's, but back then over 10 years ago if he was just pressuring trying to land hard shots, he wouldn't be totting up enough points using the scoring method then.

Comment

I don't think he has lost any speed. If he has lost speed it's because he is 35 years old. According to computer box he has one of the best hit and don't get hit ratios of all the top boxers. He has also lost less rounds than any boxer per fight.

Comment

Muscle mass and age.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    I don't think he has lost any speed. If he has lost speed it's because he is 35 years old. According to computer box he has one of the best hit and don't get hit ratios of all the top boxers. He has also lost less rounds than any boxer per fight.
                    He did. It was always obvious to me that Golovkin lacked hand speed and made up for it with great timing.

Comment

Working...
                    X