No announcement yet.

Gervonta Davis = Broner 2.0?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
    I know he might be better than Broner. But since the money is at 140 and 147, he might end up fighting there in a few years. He's too small for 140 and 147 in terms of height and reach. Maybe he can be heavy but he can be outboxed from the outside.
    I think Tank having success at 140 & beyond is a stretch. He seems overweight at 130 ffs lol. If he could just eat better he could stay at 130 for years longer. Winning a title at 135 should be doable. And I think he could be the #1 guy at both of those weights potentially (will need to get his sh^t together), but outside of a favorable title shot situation I don't think he could become #1 at 140 & I'm not even confident he could win a bs belt at 147.

Comment

Can his size allow him to be succesful at 140 or 147? same for Lomachenko. I don't think so.
      I dont see the lil no neck stubby fighting succesfully above 130..

Im not sold by him even at 130.

Comment

Originally posted by larry$ View Post
        Never said he was great but I think any child with a dream in boxing would retire smiling winning 4 divisional titles and being a multi millionaire
        And what does it have to do with the thread?

Hes talking abt the hype ,skill level and his body frame..

Stay on topic. But hes rich doe...

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
          I dont see the lil no neck stubby fighting succesfully above 130..

Im not sold by him even at 130.
          Completely agree, I think Loma plays with him at 130 and I’d pick Berchelt to beat him as well.
          And he’s too small to compete with guys like Mikey at 135.

Comment

I think he is a much better fighter than Broner ever was. He should fight at the lowest weight he feels good at and no heavier. If he feels good and fights well at 135 then stay there. If 135 is a strain the go to 140. He will do very well at whatever weight is comfortable for him.

Comment

The ones who compare Davis to Broner want him to fail so badly. Why? Why even 'Broner 2.0' as if that's supposed to be the accepted definition of the biggest failure in boxing? Is it? The guy was a good fighter, and that's it. Broner might have overachieved, IMO, in comparison to his skills and natural talents. Davis has more skills and talent.

Broner was a B or B- in his best days. He was hyped to the roof without the skills and natural talents to match it. (Something I suspect is the case with Wilder.) I think his best win was DeMarco. He looked good in that fight after figuring DeMarco out. That's the best Broner has ever looked. It was an entertaining fight. After that, I didn't pay much attention.

If you are a boxing fan and can't see that Davis is a special fighter, you may wanna watch his fights or highlights again. I'm not saying he's fought any special competition so far, but the potential is right there, unless he fucks with it.

So, no, Davis is none like Broner IN THE RING! He also ain't an imitator. He has his own style, unlike Broner, who has no personality in the ring. Floyd imitations didn't work well!

Give Davis a chance, at least a couple of years to try to do something great. If he proves to be a 'bum,' I'll agree with you.

Skill for skill, Davis>Broner.
              Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 01-16-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

just the fact that we are talking about him so much shows he is on course for broner 2.0. his resume is terrible. his only notable opponent is a guy who lost to edner cherry. meanwhile a guy like berchelt has beaten much better competition and he's not being talked about as a future great. how about machado who just ko'd a much better fighter than tank ever beat. hardly a peep about him or how he's going to be amazing someday. shows you the pro american bias that exists in boxing.

guys like broner took advantage of this with weak comp and in that respect tank and flyod already admitted they would do the same so hes totally like broner in that regard. maybe he will succeed as a fighter if he doesnt get tripped up by a b-level guy like maidana but floyd proved you dont have to mix with the best to be crowned as the best. if you have a built in fanbase like floyd/broner had and maybe tank will have someday you can pick and choose but if you are some unknown guy that option is not available for you. these guys like floyd and broner just found the boxing hack and took advantage of it. the boxing fans have been very slow to react to it though.
                Last edited by daggum; 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  I think he is a much better fighter than Broner ever was. He should fight at the lowest weight he feels good at and no heavier. If he feels good and fights well at 135 then stay there. If 135 is a strain the go to 140. He will do very well at whatever weight is comfortable for him.
                  You know your boxing. I wanted to Green K you, but next time.

I don't get the comparison, either, boxing wise. I don't know how similar they are out of the ring. I don't care about that.

Comment

Already moving up very young, he can't make 130 it seems.

Maybe he has the size to fight at 130 and 135.

But can he compete at 140 or 147?

Will he be Bronered once he fights bigger guys?

He's no Floyd in terms of height and reach. He has a physique very similar to Broner.
                    Lets hope not because he is skilled with power.But he NEEDS to stay below 140 he dos not have body type to move up.I think Loma also will have a real hard time past 135 as he is a nat 130pder.It takes nothing away from him moving up in weight is WAY overrated.Locking down a div and beating EVERONE who comes is more impressive ALOT of times.

Comment

Don't think he gets as far as Broner, who was never elite but still had a good solid career. His frame is pretty small whereas Broner looked like a Monster at 130.

Comment

Working...
                      X