Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont they make one more weight class for bigger guys?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
    What about instead of adding a new division, we stretch the range of a couple...

Heavyweight goes to 220+
    Cruiser becomes 220
    Light Heavy is 195
    Super Middle becomes 175
    Middle remains at 168
    Problem with doing that is we take away a long lasting tradition of those existing ones that are steeped with so much history of legendary fighters.

I'd be more for keeping those ones and just getting rid of the ones that are like 4-5lbs to the next division.

Comment

Originally posted by Red-Cyclone View Post
      Problem with doing that is we take away a long lasting tradition of those existing ones that are steeped with so much history of legendary fighters.

I'd be more for keeping those ones and just getting rid of the ones that are like 4-5lbs to the next division.
      Oh yeah, I mean from Minimum to Light Fly, to Fly and Super Fly, there are 4 divisions in the range of 10 lbs. That's excessive. I realize at that size, weight plays a big factor, but still, that's absurd. So I think we're both on the same page, it's time a lot of these divisions rode off into the sunset.

And I hear your argument that stretching the weight classification alters the legacy of some prolific fighters, but remember, a lot of the legends of this sport guys fought back before we had "Light" and "Super" weight classes. So we've already devalued the prestige of some of these weight classes. I mean look at Cruiser, that was introduced in the late 70's. Super Middle came in the mid 80's. We're talking about modifying some weight classes that are younger than some of the posters on this forum. If you wanted to keep LHW where is was, fine, there is legacy there...but you could shift Cruiserweight without it being a huge loss to boxing's history.
      Last edited by BoxingPugilist; 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

F#ck no. I want less.

Less divisions. Less titles. Less bs.

I even wanna cap the HW division cuz I don't wanna see 280lb-300lb mfers box at all. Unlimited weight sounds nice, but in reality its just a license for grossly overweight guys & freak shows to put on boxing gloves.

Comment

Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield got by just fine

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
            What about instead of adding a new division, we stretch the range of a couple...

Heavyweight goes to 220+
            Cruiser becomes 220
            Light Heavy is 195
            Super Middle becomes 175
            Middle remains at 168
            At this point MMA is doing so much right & boxing isn't doing anything new so I'd be pro boxing just hijacking all the things that work nice in MMA, like weight divisions, that they can to boxing like MMA hijacked all the things that worked in boxing for their sport back in the day & sh^tcanned the rest.

So I'm for these divisions:

265lbs
            205lbs
            185lbs
            170lbs
            155lbs
            145lbs
            135lbs
            125lbs
            115lbs

Boxing would become so much less confusing with less divisions (since we can't seem to get less titles) & there would be so many more big fights that'd happen in 9 divisions vs having the same talent spread out among 17 divisions.

Comment

If it's said that a 215 lb. man should be able to beat a 265 lb. man, then the argument could be made that Ward and Kovalev should be able to take on the cruiserweight division.

I wouldn't mind seeing less divisions, but the downside is that more boxers might quit the sport due to feeling disadvantaged.

Eddie Chambers wasn't comfortable at cruiserweight but always seemed too small for the big heavyweights.

Instead of creating new ones or merging old ones, I like the idea of expanding the limits of the upper divisions.

Super Middleweight: 160 - 175
              Light Heavyweight: 175 - 195
              Cruiserweight: 195 - 220
              Heavyweight: 220+

Comment

At this point, it's just putting lipstick on a pig. Divisions are a mess and watered down - they need a full overhaul.

Which will never happen, of course.

Comment

Actually, we could get rid of Junior Middleweight. Seems like a useless division.

Middleweight 150 - 160
                  Welterweight 140 - 150

And the rest could stay the same.

Comment

This has been beat to death . Im not sure anyone gets that the CURRENT HW division is 99 % guys over 225 ,so making the division 220 and over doesnt change anything . The MODERN state of the division is also not producing these 300 fat mythical fighters that dont exist and the 1% that are top guys (if any )must be skilled .

So why would these severly overweight mutants come out of the wood work if you created say a 225 plus class ( which is logical ,not keeping the 1940's standard is not logical ) all of a sudden now ,when we see all the top fighters now who are basically 240 on average ?

Common sense has to draw the line somewhere when we can see who and how many fighters are over 225 who CURRENTLY are fighting and where that trend is going . A few fights to show otherwise doesnt change this post .

This topic really shouldn't be that hard to figure out but the ppl who think a 215 pounder is going to come along any time soon if ever and dominate ,well o.k but where does that justify the other 99% guys under 220 who dont have exceptional skills that will be NEEDED to take on top SHW's?

Either adjust the HW starting point or create the Super HW class !

If your house pipes broke and had a leak are you going to just put a bucket under the drips coming from the ceiling or replace them even if your great grand dad built them in yester year and keep them out of sentimental value ? Because thats where boxing is keeping the HW starting point at 200!
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 01-19-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

we just made 155 and 164.5 what about 202.5?

Comment

Working...
                      X