Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Andre Ward ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is only a small portion of his career. we need an updated vid please. some brave soul has to volunteer to watch his fights again though. oof

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      even in the olympics he was being a complete and utter clown getting hurt and clinching the entire fight but somehow winning. they wanted to create a potential star aka a money maker so they did. entitlement is a real thing.
      That's what I always wondered about him..how he won so much there in the ams/Olympics...I suspect you're right...I watched some footage of him there and I didn't really see any skills separation even then against his opponent.

Usually to be dominant in the ams like that you are really a slick boxer and it is obvious that you are hitting and not getting hit...you only have a few rounds to get it done ya know...so to be dominant and win a lot you have to really be exceptional...I can see it with Lara Loma Floyd GGG etc...they win clear rounds all the time now...with Andre I just haven't seen it.

Edit - In addition to the Bika Miranda Barrera etc fights...that Boone fight always bothered me too...I could see a case for Andre winning...but Boone dropped him and pretty clearly took the 5th round too...and had a decent claim to one of the other 3 besides the first...obviously that was a typical protect your prospect hometown cooking judging with Andre winning heavily on the cards.

But in 6 rounds if you get dropped and pretty clearly lose another round...I mean he was very fortunate to get through that one as well...it was early in his career though...he looked so skinny there...and Boone was a problem for anyone despite his many losses...but yeah the amount of favorable cards I saw him get in his career...I have never seen anything like it...maybe for Floyd but at least I actually saw him clearly win most of his good fights.
      Last edited by Boxing_1013; 07-15-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Absolutely ATG.

He raped Kessler, Froch, Miranda etc. His skills speak for themselves.

Cheater? He was dirty but a lot of great fighters are. Is Holyfield less great? Hopkins? Marco Antonio Barrera?

A lot of unwarranted hatred in this thread. I agree Ward not leaving Oakland was wack but that’s on promoters, not fighters. We failed to make Ward a true star in the bay but he is an ATG súper MW only ranking below Roy Jones Jr and James Toney.

LHW he is top 15, possibly 10 all time. Retired undefeated and avenged his toughest fight in a destruction of Kovalev.

Comment

To many fans he is. I don't think he is. I think he is a very dirty fighter who had about 95% of his fights near Oakland where he lives and he gets away with illegal tactics there. Has a very good record but I don't think he was great.

Comment

Originally posted by boogbx View Post
            Absolutely ATG.

He raped Kessler, Froch, Miranda etc. His skills speak for themselves.

Cheater? He was dirty but a lot of great fighters are. Is Holyfield less great? Hopkins? Marco Antonio Barrera?

A lot of unwarranted hatred in this thread. I agree Ward not leaving Oakland was wack but that’s on promoters, not fighters. We failed to make Ward a true star in the bay but he is an ATG súper MW only ranking below Roy Jones Jr and James Toney.

LHW he is top 15, possibly 10 all time. Retired undefeated and avenged his toughest fight in a destruction of Kovalev.
            Idk man...all of his best wins have pretty serious asterisks by them...only one that doesn't imo was Froch...and I had that like 2 judges did - 7-5 for Ward.

Not leaving home and relying on the home town scoring and reffing...I mean I just think it really benefited him a lot...and without that he wouldn't really be very heralded.

Miranda was a good fighter but hyping that up as a great win is kind of a stretch...and I didn't see a domination in that fight...and I definitely didn't see one vs Barrera and Bika...I remember those 2 fights very well.

It's not even really the dirtyness...I just never really saw him separate skills wise from anyone B level and above...and all of his good wins except Froch are legitimately controversial.

If Kessler, Bika, Barrera, Kov 1 and 2 were held in a neutral site I think he loses 1 or 2 of those, draws 1 or 2, and is DQd in 1 or 2.

He was a really tough smart fighter though..I don't hate on that...but yeah if Bika was winning all of his fights like Ward was by fighting at home and getting favorable calls I would look at him similarly to Ward...if Ward went to the UK to face Froch and just dominated him..that's the stuff I really wanted to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
              Lol...I more or less agree here...I just never really saw the skills from him any time he faced a B level fighter or above...I just was never really impressed with what I saw...I do think he was a tough smart fighter though.

But yeah if he was born in a different country I don't think he would have been looked at much differently than Bika Barrera or Miranda etc...he was born in the right place and was handled/managed in the right way...but if he fought a lot of those fights in neutral situations I don't think his record would be close to the same.

what a fkn moron my god you are idiot

first..... Murray, Lemieux, and Monroe..... are better than Lara, Cotto, and Trout..... and now Bika, Barrera, and Miranda..... are as good as Andre Ward

jesus you are a fkn doorknob

get back on the other thread, you shlt-talking fcuk-monkey..... and answer the question that you ducked

there is not a single poster on this thread who doesn't know that you are just another shlthead casual-fan
              Last edited by aboutfkntime; 07-15-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                and now Bika, Barrera, and Miranda..... are as good as Andre Ward
                Unlike most people who are Andre Ward fans, I have actually watched a lot of his fights.

Yeah anyone saying they saw dominant performances from Ward vs Bika and Barrera, I mean I just don't think you really watched those fights...there was hardly any separation between the guys in most of the rounds.

Ward was tough and smart though, and smart to fight at home tbh...but yeah boxing wise he was really never any better than Isaac Chilemba or Sakio Bika or Sullivan Barrera...he just had much better management and help.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  I love to touch guys' butts!!!!! Deal with it OK!!!
                  Why do you follow me around like a lost puppy btw lol...I don't really value your opinion on boxing or take seriously anything you have to say...you are just an extreme fan or hater of some people based on some arbitrary stuff that you find important...just not a serious guy on boxing matters tbh...you flailing around all the time is kind of funny though lol

Comment

Unlike most people who are Andre Ward fans, I have actually watched a lot of his fights.

Yeah anyone saying they saw dominant performances from Ward vs Bika and Barrera, I mean I just don't think you really watched those fights...there was hardly any separation between the guys in most of the rounds.

Ward was tough and smart though, and smart to fight at home tbh...but yeah boxing wise he was really never any better than Isaac Chilemba or Sakio Bika or Sullivan Barrera...he just had much better management and help.

only an absolute fkn moron would think that Murray, Lemieux, and Monroe..... are better than Lara, Cotto, and Trout..... and only an absolute fkn moron would think that Bika, Barrera, and Miranda..... are as good as Andre Ward

you LITERALLY would not know a good fighter if he walked up and punched you in the face

In my lifetime, I have NEVER witnessed a human-being say so many stupid things in such a short space of time

you literally have no idea what you are talking about LMAO

Comment

Why do you follow me around like a lost puppy btw lol...I don't really value your opinion on boxing or take seriously anything you have to say...you are just an extreme fan or hater of some people based on some arbitrary stuff that you find important...just not a serious guy on boxing matters tbh...you flailing around all the time is kind of funny though lol

oh really, misquoting.... ? you just got KTFO bltch

Ima wreck you on the other thread now humpty

"I don't think he would have been looked at much differently than Bika Barrera or Miranda etc."

Comment

Working...
                      X