This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
    i think with these lists people just chuck lots of old school names in without actually watching the guys fight or seeing what they did and how overrated their accomplishments are

james j jeffries for instance...have you seen him and his contemporaries fight?? they were utter ****!!
    I think with these lists people just chuck lots of current names in without actually REAL fighters fight or seeing what they did and how their accomplishments overshadow the current crop of posers

Wladimir Klitschko for instance...have you seen him and his contemporaies fight?? They are utter ****!!!

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      I think with these lists people just chuck lots of current names in without actually REAL fighters fight or seeing what they did and how their accomplishments overshadow the current crop of posers

Wladimir Klitschko for instance...have you seen him and his contemporaies fight?? They are utter ****!!!

Poet
      i agree klitschko is ****

i wasnt bagging out guys like louis

i was talkign about old old school like sullivan, jeffries, corbett, johnson etc

Comment

• Originally posted by geribeetus View Post
        get the **** over yourself kid. obviously technique and training back then wasnt as developed as it was now. i look at boxers from each era who beat the best of his time. i chuck lots of old school fighters on the list? so you're saying i should only put todays hws on it? by your stupid ass logic anything before today is old school because apparently youre too ****in dumb to notice i didnt put a lot from any particular decade. if i wanted to only list old school fighters i wouldnt have listed anyone after the 50s.
        i didnt say put todays heavyweights in it

im bagging out guys like jeffries etc

i wasnt bagging out guys from the 30's-70's but guys like jeffries who were ****
        Last edited by KostyaTszyu44; 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• lol what about them was bad? johnson would wipe the floor with todays heavyweights if he had a couple months with todays training and nutrition.

Comment

• Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
            i agree klitschko is ****

i wasnt bagging out guys like louis

i was talkign about old old school like sullivan, jeffries, corbett, johnson etc
            Well, my whole point behind that post was to show how that sort of thing can be turned around. I hate it when people rip the old-timers and I'm not so fond of the ones who say all modern fighters are **** either.

I think you're making a mistake with Johnson though. He had skills that maybe a casual observer doesn't see. It's similar to the way some characterize Roberto Duran as a low-skill slugger: They don't see the little things he did such as block punches with his should or manuevered an opponent inside. Small things that aren't often SEEN at first glance but win you fights.

Guys like Jeffries and Sullivan may not have an extensive skill set but were incredibly strong. In that, they aren't any different than MANY Heavyweights I've seen ranked as top contenders the past 25 years some of whom have picked up alphabet belts.

Poet

Comment

Very simple. The fighters you named are legitimate ATGs while I consider Lewis a near great and NOT an ATG. While I'm a fan of Lennox I have no allusions about him: His chin keeps him from making ATG status in my book. It's not even the two obvious KOs to Rahman and McCall that cause me to fault his chin; rather, it's the number of times I've seen him wobbled by punches that did NOT appear to be all that particularly vicious.

Poet
              ok ,i take your point & ur entitled to your opinion but imo dempsey & marciano are overated and holyfield was clearly beaten twice by lewis!(although 1 was scored a draw!!!??) although you could argue that holyfield wasn`t in his prime? but tbh this excuse is far to commonly used in boxing!
              i admit that lewis never got the chance to prove hiself against bowe,holyfield & tyson in their "prime" that was purely down to bowe,king & tyson! lewis ducked nobody!

also holyfield was much more inconsistant than lewis!

Comment

• I don't really agree that Jeffries had no skill.

I wouldn't compare him to modern boxers but he was somewhat of an innovator of the crouching, bobbing & weaving style based on what I've seen of him. He deserves some credit for it.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                  I don't really agree that Jeffries had no skill.

I wouldn't compare him to modern boxers but he was somewhat of an innovator of the crouching, bobbing & weaving style based on what I've seen of him. He deserves some credit for it.

Point well taken!

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by jollystomper View Post
                    ok ,i take your point & ur entitled to your opinion but imo dempsey & marciano are overated
                    Every fighter on any ATG list is overrated by SOMEONE. It goes with the territory.

Originally posted by jollystomper View Post
                    and holyfield was clearly beaten twice by lewis!(although 1 was scored a draw!!!??) although you could argue that holyfield wasn`t in his prime?
                    I WOULD argue that. I would also point out the many people felt Holyfield won the second fight and the decision was given to Lewis to make up for rip-off draw in the first fight.

but tbh this excuse is far to commonly used in boxing!
                    It's not an excuse if it's true.

i admit that lewis never got the chance to prove hiself against bowe,holyfield & tyson in their "prime" that was purely down to bowe,king & tyson! lewis ducked nobody!
                    No argument there. It's one of the reasons Lennox has been consistantly one of my favorite fighters over the past 20 years: He was willing to fight anyone unafraid to sign on the dotted line.

also holyfield was much more inconsistant than lewis!
                    That's very subjective because you can take isolated snapshots of any fighter's career and use it as evidence of being inconsistant.

Poet

Comment

Very simple. The fighters you named are legitimate ATGs while I consider Lewis a near great and NOT an ATG. While I'm a fan of Lennox I have no allusions about him: His chin keeps him from making ATG status in my book. It's not even the two obvious KOs to Rahman and McCall that cause me to fault his chin; rather, it's the number of times I've seen him wobbled by punches that did NOT appear to be all that particularly vicious.

Poet
                      How would you know, if they didn't hurt. You've never been actually hit in a boxing ring, that your veiw from a ''ARMCHAIR'' supporter.

So don't say they didn't seem to be particular vicious, because you wound't know because you were to scared to get in a boxing ring and fight!

Comment

Working...
                      X