Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sadam Ali vs. Liam Smith Deal Getting Close, Says Frank Warren

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sadam Ali vs. Liam Smith Deal Getting Close, Says Frank Warren

Liam Smith set to challenge WBO champion Sadam Ali

Liam Smith will challenge to win back his old world title

LIAM SMITH, the former WBO super-welterweight world champion, is set to box for his old title. He will fight new titlist Sadam Ali with the date and venue still to be finalised.

“That’s going to happen,” Smith’s promoter Frank Warren told Boxing News.

Smith had lost his WBO world title to Canelo Alvarez in 2016, who would ultimately vacate it to move up in weight. Puerto Rican legend Miguel Cotto won the vacant title and then lost it in his last fight at Madison Square Garden to New Yorker Sadam Ali. Meanwhile Smith had to come through two exciting fights with Welsh rival Liam Williams.

Smith is now on course to challenge new world champion Ali, who is represented by US promotional powerhouse Golden Boy. “I’m in negotiations with Golden Boy. I was hoping to get it done this week but early next week we’ll have that resolved,” his promoter Warren said.

There’s an outside chance that Smith-Ali could fetch up on the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin undercard at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on May 5. “Maybe,” Smith’s promoter said, “but let’s see…”

That would be a really nice undercard for ggg canelo, good fight either way

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
      That would be a really nice undercard for ggg canelo, good fight either way
      Standards have gone down if Ali-Smith is supposed to be a good matchup on a major ppv undercard.

Smith is a domestic level fighter, very ordinary.

Comment

That will be a fun fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
          Standards have gone down if Ali-Smith is supposed to be a good matchup on a major ppv undercard.

Smith is a domestic level fighter, very ordinary.
          Jojo diaz and diego delahoya were on the last undercard, that was terrible. This would be a good competitive fight, not saying it's anything special but it would be an improvement from the last one

Comment

Comments Thread For: Sadam Ali vs. Liam Smith Deal Getting Close, Says Frank Warren

According to Frank Warren, promoter for Liam Smith, a deal is getting very close for a mandatory fight against WBO junior middleweight world champion Sadam Ali. Warren is currently negotiating with Ali's promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, and the two sides are close to deal. He believes the fight will be finalized by next week.
            [Click Here To Read More]

Comment

Hmm. HBO has no fighters. I almost figured this would get it's own date.

Comment

Brawler vs more of a technician. I’m not about to lie, Liam took so much punishment from Canelo, I was scared for himself. He struggled through some pain before the end. I think this could a good fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                  Hmm. HBO has no fighters. I almost figured this would get it's own date.
                  They have enough. Might not be as many as PBC but more than enough for 2 fights a year

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
                    They have enough. Might not be as many as PBC but more than enough for 2 fights a year
                    I guess Ali is a tough sell even after that upset. Canelo vs GGG undercard makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X