Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you view fighters who quit before conclusively beaten in a negative light?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
    I voted no because I'm guessing you're referring to a situation like what we witnessed this past weekend.... that scenario is understandable but if it's something like Walters against Lomachenko then yes because that was very disappointing.
    Great example.

Comment

I think if a fighter is legitimately impaired or knows he has absolutely nothing left and cannot win, I give him a pass. But just to avoid the humiliation of a loss and then offer up some lame excuse gets you labeled a quitter. That said, boxing is as much mental as it is physical, and if a fighter doesn't have his mind right going into a fight I can see how they might call it a night and quit. Walters quitting against Loma was weak. I can see if he was hurt and didn't even have a puncher's chance, but he should have dug in and tried something different. When Morales quit against Pac, it was clear he was outgunned and just had no answer, there was nothing left. I can't shame him for that, especially when you take into account his body of work and all of the warrior spirit he showed in other fights.

I can tell you from personal experience that the ring is a lonely place when you are exhausted and have nothing left to go on. No other feeling like it.

I don't expect fighters to fight to the death. I often give examples of Benitez, McClellan, Ali, Robinson, and many others who literally lost their minds to boxing. I would rather see a fighter quit on his stool than to push himself out there for another round to please the fans and then end up getting permanently injured or killed.

Comment

These fighters live in the gym, sparred thousands of rounds have had tens to hundreds of amateur fights and have tons of rounds of pro experience. Their reputation and performance dictates their paydays for future fights.

If they are injured and/or unable to continue in an noncompetitive fight, I give them the benefit of the doubt. They know their bodies and their capabilities.

If they still have a chance to win the fight, I think that's a sign of quitting, a lack of heart and not something I want to see from a professional fighter. Kell Brook lost the momentum and was taking a beating but he was still in the fight. That I cannot defend.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
          Brook quitting is no different than Angulo quitting against Lara. I didn't criticize Alfredo for caring about his health back then and I won't critize Kell for doing the same now.

They have lives outside of the sport and people to care about. We, boxing fans, are not those people

Exactly and that's what a lot of people don't realise.... if a fighter wants to fight on in hazardous circumstances then do it because you still have the will to win (which is why they do) not because of the "fans" who are fickle as f**k or to prove you're a warrior/tough guy.

Comment

Depends on how much they made for the fight, and if I paid for the fight, or if fans bought the PPV.

Any other time, nah. Boxers are just human beings, making a living. If they don't wanna continue to take punishment, then all the power to them. I'm not the one that has to deal with the consequences, and the blow to my reputation. I don't take it personally like I'd be in the ring, and die before quitting. GTFOH with that.

Yeah, when it happens, it's only natural to bust the guys balls, and talk **** about him, but on a personal level, nah. I'm not actually mad at the guy.

I say all this, and still can't stand Victor Ortiz for being a quitter lol. Not for the fact that he doesn't continue on, but the way he quits. He just has such a puto vibe.
            Last edited by CatchAndShoot; 05-31-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Only when you quit like Victor Ortiz

Comment

Paulie Malignaggi had his eye socket broken early in his fight against Cotto and kept on coming. He didn't quit and kept on fighting till the end. A lot of fighters have fought with worse looking injuries, eyes shut closed or with nasty cuts, broken jaws and broken eye sockets. Every fighter knows what could happen in the ring. Brook simply quit. He kept looking at his corner to save him like they did against GGG, they didn't and he took a knee and quit.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                  Paulie Malignaggi had his eye socket broken early in his fight against Cotto and kept on coming. He didn't quit and kept on fighting till the end. A lot of fighters have fought with worse looking injuries, eyes shut closed or with nasty cuts, broken jaws and broken eye sockets. Every fighter knows what could happen in the ring. Brook simply quit. He kept looking at his corner to save him like they did against GGG, they didn't and he took a knee and quit.
                  SPot on!

Not going to deep into the Crook example, I look at other fighters and what they went through to survive or even win fights. Heck, Abraham's jaw was so badly broken they couldn't even get his mouth piece out in between rounds but he persevered and won.

I repeat, if a fighter is not fighting at the highest level and not for the biggest money then sure, let him quit. But a guy making millions and supposedly world level quitting is a joke and pathetic.

Comment

I wont go into it too much either,but can you picture Corrales quitting,gatty,vazquez(israel)marquez(either brother)and the list goes on and on.I Dont get upset at the quitting,but in a way,that is their job,kind like a bull fighter, as soon as he sees danger he quits(maybe a bad example),but like I mentioned before,why not work some sort of code with your corner,like blow your nose with your glove,wait about 10 seconds and the corners quits for you,the fighter still saves face,I would even say maybe complain about a headbutt,or lowblow,make that your corner code.But in a warriors sport,the quitter becomes less warriorly in the eyes of many people,me included(dont get me wrong,I am no warrior).

Comment

Btw, eff panda made an interesting addition "conclusively beaten"...there are certain fighters who quit even when they are not being conclusively beaten but things have just recently turned against them. Take ortiz against Maidana for instance.

A conclusively beating would be something like Loma v Walters, which was not a physical beating but a skillful and psychological one. That was enough to make Walters quit. Both forms are bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X