Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people being fooled by HBO's mismatches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GGG fought a middleweight champ last fight and he has fought numerous ranked contenders. Yes he beat them with ease and they were mismatches. That isn't because they were bums. That is because GGG is a great fighter who makes good fighters look like bums. That is not something GGG or HBO should be criticized for. Gonzalez has the same problem. Gonzalez fights good fighters and makes them look bad. He is just that much better than anyone his weight. Charlo's title defense was a total mismatch and the guy he fought really didn't deserve a title fight. Top Haymon fighters are often in total mismatches when they should be fighting better fighters. Garcia is fighting washed up Guerrero when he should be fighting somebody much better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      hbo cares about ratings and buzz.

if it means a easy fight where it hypes up their guy OR a tough fight between two stars.

hbo forced cotto to fight canelo. they did that by buying geale in exchange for cotto fighting canelo.

hbo is tring to do the same for ward-kovalev.
      I'd agree with that. HBO is exceptionally better at creating a narrative for a fight or fighter than anyone in the business by far.

People **** on HBO commentators, myself included (well Lampley), people **** on Joe Rogan of the UFC, but the reality is those guys help shape the narrative as well. Its like some sort of commentary version of brainwashing. And it may sound like I'm saying that in a negative way, but I'm not at all. Its amazing the way HBO can shape the story they are trying to tell with any particular fight or fighter. They are great at that & idk who'd even be a extremely distant 2nd to them at doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        GGG fought a middleweight champ last fight and he has fought numerous ranked contenders. Yes he beat them with ease and they were mismatches. That isn't because they were bums. That is because GGG is a great fighter who makes good fighters look like bums. That is not something GGG or HBO should be criticized for. Gonzalez has the same problem. Gonzalez fights good fighters and makes them look bad. He is just that much better than anyone his weight. Charlo's title defense was a total mismatch and the guy he fought really didn't deserve a title fight. Top Haymon fighters are often in total mismatches when they should be fighting better fighters. Garcia is fighting washed up Guerrero when he should be fighting somebody much better than that.
        hbo just had gonzo fight viloria and wants estrada rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I'd agree with that. HBO is exceptionally better at creating a narrative for a fight or fighter than anyone in the business by far.

People **** on HBO commentators, myself included (well Lampley), people **** on Joe Rogan of the UFC, but the reality is those guys help shape the narrative as well. Its like some sort of commentary version of brainwashing. And it may sound like I'm saying that in a negative way, but I'm not at all. Its amazing the way HBO can shape the story they are trying to tell with any particular fight or fighter. They are great at that & idk who'd even be a extremely distant 2nd to them at doing that.
          hbo wants star fights.

and they set guys up to be stars.

they have a plan. whether it works or not.

you can see it.

right now they're building up tcraw for a possible pac fight.

they're building to ggg-canelo, ward-kovalev, gonzo-gallo rematch....

it's not hard to see what they want/plan. they talk about it post fight, pre fight, during ringside.

Comment

Everyone has been doing it for YEARS and are still doing it. Some just dont like Haymon and for many its his association to another fighter.

I love the sport so i dont care who puts on the fights.

I have said it before and will say it again that i love seeing fighters i would have never got the chance to see or even know existed if PBC wasnt around.

Comment

I don't consider GGG vs Lemuke or Murray mismatches. They were two proven top ten fighters. Yes were beaten convincenly by GGG but that's because of how good he is. Many of the MW would be treated similar but what HBO suppose to do, not show him because he's a talented. The mere idea is silly and can only derive from a butt hurt fan.

And Kovalev Vs Muhammedei was a mismatch but why are we pretending this wasn't a mandotory defense. So what you're saying is HBO shouldn't have shown it which again is silly. I and many others like seeing Kovalev fight and wanted to see his fight. HBO had no part in the opponent selection.

Now HBO has had mismatches, Crawford vs Jean or GGG vs Monroe but GGG is a HBO star and fought a tough opponent just 2 1/2 months prior.

No one is pretending that HBO doesn't have mismatches but the fanboys but same can be said for the PBC cheerleaders.

Me I just want to see good boxing and I could care less if it's on PBC, HBO, Sky Sports, or Boxnation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                Everyone has been doing it for YEARS and are still doing it. Some just dont like Haymon and for many its his association to another fighter.

I love the sport so i dont care who puts on the fights.

I have said it before and will say it again that i love seeing fighters i would have never got the chance to see or even know existed if PBC wasnt around.
                the problem with pbc is their fights seem to not have purpose.

make fights to set up bigger fights.

i got no problem with garcia-guerrero if you tell me garcia is fighting thurman next or khan rematch. .

pbc has a huge stable, they can do that stuff.

but instead it looks like pbc just just throws stuff together.

Comment

There are always mismatches.

Fans of PBC will hate on HBO mismatches. Fans of HBO will hate on PBC mismatches.

Just watch the fights you like, enjoy the sport you like, and don't affiliate yourself with TV channels and promotion organisations.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    the problem with pbc is their fights seem to not have purpose.

make fights to set up bigger fights.

i got no problem with garcia-guerrero if you tell me garcia is fighting thurman next or khan rematch. .

pbc has a huge stable, they can do that stuff.

but instead it looks like pbc just just throws stuff together.
                    a majority of the PBC mismatches turn out to be good. Im thinking they know more than we do in matchmaking styles.

Also I do think they make the fights to set up bigger fights. But outside of NSB no one knows these guys. You mention TCraw but we havent seen if he can sell outside of Nebraska. Now dont get me wrong i have said that they should bring the fighters to their hometown and build up the grassroots following before so i like what they are doing.

I like Garcia/Guerrero cause i like the fight. I dont need it to lead to something, i hope it does but i think its a good fight on its own.

The 1200 or so members on NSB know these fighters, hell i follow the sport closely but like i said there are some im barely seeing and they have like 20+ fights. Point is when you focus on 1, 2 or 3 fighters, as HBO does, its easier to build up as opposed to 50. We will get good fights mixed in with showcase fights. And once again they did this with TCraw (example you used so ill stick with him) but since it was so spread out not many noticed it but with PBC we get so many fights that of course many think its nothing but mismatches.

Comment

That is actually one of the main difference between PBC and HBO, HBO is concerned about the narrative in building a guy to be stars with each fight leading to something else. It is well explained and it is easy to pick up.

PBC sells its guys but the whole product is not explained well there are just fights with no connection and while the fights and fighters are sold on TV what happens in between is a big mystery that no one knows what to expect.

That creates a certain perception and that means a lot with how people view fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X