Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for former athlete looking to get into Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one on ones are always best. 200 bucks for 12 or so private lessons is pretty cheap. How long is each session?

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
      The one on ones are always best. 200 bucks for 12 or so private lessons is pretty cheap. How long is each session?
      Hour long session

Comment

If you can afford one-on-one classes, by all means pay for those. Especially if you’re serious about progressing quickly. Your trainer will be devoting his attention solely to you instead of 10-20 people. Makes a huge difference as he’ll correct form, comment on your breathing, draw up routines for you ... etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ironwarrior View Post
          Just contacted nearby gym, 3 days a week I can get 1on1 training sessions for 200 a month. Or I can take regular classes for 40 a month but the time they hold classes conflicts a bit with my schedule. Checked out their instagram and website, they seem to have a few quality pros training there and have some experienced former professional trainers.

I feel like I will develop much faster with the 1 on 1 sessions rather than public classes. And then my trainer can eventually set me up with good spars as I progress. When I was doing MMA I felt like I was overlooked at some points in training when taking public classes. The sparring matchups were horrible.

Whats your guys' take on this?
          wrong attitude

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
            wrong attitude
            I can agree with that.

Comment

Where do you live?

Comment

Find a boxing only gym, Do your own little backgound check on the person that runs it. You are looking for ex pro's as trainers. Just take the regular classes at least 3 times a week. Should run you about $100 a month. Once they see you have skills and you are interested they will work more with you one on one with your regular monthly payment. Your goal and there's will be to fight amateur. You are not any wheres near to old. I started at 55 years old. It will take you about a year to really learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
                  Find a boxing only gym, Do your own little backgound check on the person that runs it. You are looking for ex pro's as trainers. Just take the regular classes at least 3 times a week. Should run you about $100 a month. Once they see you have skills and you are interested they will work more with you one on one with your regular monthly payment. Your goal and there's will be to fight amateur. You are not any wheres near to old. I started at 55 years old. It will take you about a year to really learn it.
                  ^^^^^^^^this

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    ^^^^^^^^this
                    Yeah man pay for the normal classes, and make it work for a month or three. After you've also shown yourself that you are going to keep at it and make training a habit and a priority, then start to do the individual sessions as an additional form of training.

Better not to waste the extra money while you are just learning the basics anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ironwarrior View Post
                      After ending my football career, American Football, playing at a high level college, I decided to try my hand at MMA just for fun and to stay in shape while going to university. I have stayed in pretty good shape, I have always been a very fast, agile, and smooth athlete. I've played all sports since I was young and tend to pick up new sports quite easily.

I have always had a passion for boxing, but being stateside, a lot of the gyms in my area are built around fitness, not necessarily technique. At my MMA gym, I moved up through the class levels quite fast but just was not a fan of the grappling and always found striking more engaging. I ended up leaving the gym because the more advanced classes you take the higher the price. Of course they had a few high level fighters but for the most part I was not even entirely sold on the credibility of the gym.

I now want to get into Boxing as I have always had a deep interest in the sport. Growing up I watched countless fights with my grandfather and I still follow many fighters today.

With a natural competitive spirit, I am looking to find a trainer or gym who can work with me closely and develop my athleticism to transition to boxing and see my potential. I sparred a bit in MMA and I feel like I have a solid foundation of boxing fundamentals.

I am around 5'10 155 lbs at natural weight, I am very explosive, coordinated, and athletic from my weght training and development in other sports, especially football.

As a 19 year old, about to turn 20, what would the development process be for me to start competing in some amateur circuits and see where that takes me? Is it considered too late for me to get into competitive Boxing?

Thanks and your honest input is appreciated! Happy Xmas.
                      Here's my advice:

Don't ask for advice on this forum. Walk in to a USA Boxing LBC by yourself... by yourself... and tell them you want to join the gym.

That's my advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X