Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is keeping your hands "up" near the ears unnecessary?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about styles, the hands up style worked great for Tyson, but leaved him open against uppercuts, the stance of Mayweather worked great against body shots and hooks, but jabbers like Cotto and DeLa Hoya found a place for their jabs, it also used to leave him open against southpaws so he had to change his stance to a hands up guard against southpaws.

Comment

I've sparred before and I agree with you..but for some guys it works just fine. To me boxing stance has a lot to do with confidence, if you feel exposed and at a disadvantage with your gloves on your ears..don't do it..but some trainers will just insist and try to mold you. In that case just go with it and try to adapt.

That's not to say I never use that stance..when on the ropes or in the pocket it does help you. .guys like Winky Wright had freakish long arms, he covered damn near his whole upper body..my body is exposed in that stance unless I crouch down. .and your arms do get heavy after a while.

Last edited by Illmatic94; 12-16-2016, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I agree....Should be called Martin Murray syndrome.

I think the best style is the knuckles hoovering near the eyes/cheek bones but aimed at opponent so the punches shoot out, with the shoulders and arms loose ready to catch shoots up top and low.

Ray Leonard and Carl Frampton are great examples.

Comment

hands down, man down

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
          It seems like a waste of energy. I understand not having your hands at your hips but I don't really understand how it's advantageous to have hands near ears like some traditional trainers have their boxers do.

I think it takes power away from punches and expunges energy. I really don't see much where boxers save themselves from getting hit by this method, I believe footwork is the biggest aspect to having good defense. I think it also opens boxers up to body shots.

Yes I've boxed before. I felt I wasted energy and couldn't throw 100% power with my hands in that position all the time.

What say you?
          Have had all of maybe two boxing lessons, but I've watched enough boxing (and seen enough videos of folks learning to box/sharpening up) to realize that it is far easier to defend yourself against incoming fire with your hands already up than it is to defend yourself with your hands not already up.

Floyd Mayweather Jr is one of the most gifted defensive fighters to ever do it, and though he's known for the 'Shoulder Roll/Philly Crab' defense, Floyd has been schooled beyond well enough to know and understand when he's going to have to put the hands up/tuck the elbows to the body.

Comment

Working...
          X