No announcement yet.

Matt Godfrey vs. Michael Simms Sept 12 @ Red lion in Sacramento

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Godfrey vs. Michael Simms Sept 12 @ Red lion in Sacramento

Any Sac fans here? Anyone attending this card?

The Red Lion is proud to present Fight Night with Cruiserweight Champion Matt Godfrey vs. Michael
    Simms in a ten round bout.
    Godfrey, who is now trained by former world title challenger "Iceman" John Scully, turned professional in
    2004. In April of 2007, Matt was pitted against star of the Contender Series Felix Cora Jr. in the Main
    Event of the evening. In a fight that commentators noted was probably his first real test against a lefthander,
    Godfrey turned southpaw himself for two rounds to effectively outscore Cora, before knocking
    him down midway through the second round. Cora regained his feet, but did not provide any offense and
    the referee waved the fight off shortly thereafter.
    Four months later Matt defeated Derrick Brown by decision, which earned him a fight against Rudolf Kraj.
    Godfrey was 16-0 while Karaj was 13-0. The fight would take place in Kraj's home country of Germany
    and the winner would receive a World Title shot. Things did not go Godfrey's way early, Matt came on
    strong in the later rounds but the judges gave the fight to Kraj. Matt had lost his first fight (16-1).
    Nearly 6 months later one of Godfrey's most exciting fights took place at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut.
    He fought Emmanuel Nwodo who proved to be a tough fight for Godfrey but in the end Matt Knocked him
    out in the 4th round. Godfrey earned himself his 18th win against Edward Gutierrez in November of
    2008. Matt is currently ranked #3 in the world by the IBF. Godfrey holds the USNBC, NABA, WBC
    Continental Americas, and NABF Cruiserweight titles.
    Michael Simms W20(KO13),L11,D2 has been sequestered in training camp with his new strength &
    conditioning coach, immediately following his controversial August 7, 2009 draw with former IBF
    Cruiserweight Champion Kelvin Davis. Simms is the 1999 light heavyweight World Amateur Champion.
    Since turning pro in 2000, Simms
    continues to display a world-class
    chin and stopping power through
    thirteen KOs. He has fought six
    of the world’s top ten
    cruiserweights. Never avoiding a
    challenge, Simms has fought
    against the best cruiserweights
    and heavyweights around the
    world, in many cases on short
    notice. The main complaint about
    Simms has been lack of
    strenuous training and
    conditioning which he plans
    elevate for this upcoming
    September 12th battle with
    Godfrey.

---------------------------------------

Otis Griffin W18(KO7),L3,D2:
    Former WBO NABO light heavyweight champion and winner of Oscar De La Hoya’s ‘The Next Great
    Champ’ TV boxing series will battle the IBU & NABC Intercontinental Super Middleweight, USA Mid West
    middleweight and USA Mid West light heavyweight Champion Rubin Williams W29(KO16),L8,D1 from
    Detroit.

-------------------------------------------

Stan Martyniouk: A terrific talent and a member of the US National Team in 2005 & 2006, Stan has
    competed against Russia, Korea and Mexico. Born in Estonia (a republic of the former Soviet Union), he
    returned to Russia for the first time in 2005 as a member of Team USA. This super featherweight won by
    knockout 30 seconds into the first round on May 15, 2008 at the Red Lion and remains undefeated.
    Opponent, the undefeated Jorge Marquez W3(KO1),L0.
    Stan Martyniouk's professional career is approaching the border of superstardom. Dazzling crowds with
    his amazing hand speed and punching power, has helped "Stan the Man" rapidly make a name for
    himself in the boxing world. The Sacramento native, born in the former Soviet Union, has the gift to
    showcase his talent in the boxing ring. "Stan the Man" "I don't just want to win. I want to look great,
    dominate my opponent, and entertain the fans.

-------------------------------------------

Geraldo Lopez W3(KO2),L0,D0 returns to the Red Lion after winning by a 1st round knock out in his pro
    debut at the Red Lion on July 31, 2008, by unanimous decision against MMA fighter Kyle Dundas on
    January 30, 2009 and with another 1st round knockout, this time it was Angel Martinez on August 7,
    2009. Opponent Ivan Diaz W1(KO1),L2 (He may have had another professional win in Phoenix).

-------------------------------------

Maximilliano Becerra W2(KO2),L0,D1 after being tested against seasoned MMA fighter Victor ‘Lil
    Roster’ Cortez on August 7, 2009, Becerra showed he was ready with a second round knockout.
    Becerra had his first win by second round TKO at the Red Lion on January 30, 2009. Opponent to be
    determined.

TICKETS ON SALE AT:
    Red Lion @ Arden Village Niavaroni Kickboxing
    1401 Arden Way 1725 Santa Clara Dr # 190
    Sacramento CA Roseville, CA 95661
    (916) 922-8041 (916) 782-4757

Lounge in the Red Lion Hotel on Thursday, September 11th at 6:00PM.
    RED LION PREMIERE OPENING:
    The Red Lion hotel will showcase its 20-acre multipurpose resort, convention center and entertainment
    venue Saturday September 12, 2009. The event dubbed The Red Lion Premiere will feature NABF
    Cruiser Weight Champion, Matt Godfrey against Michael Simms, 1999’s World Amateur Light
    Heavyweight Champion. The fight will be held at the Red Lion’s new outdoor 2500 capacity venue- 16
    Palms starting at 4:00 PM. The hotel’s renovation celebration continues with two shows at 8:00 PM and
    10:00 Pm inside JB’s Lounge a 300-seat nightclub venue with blues recording artists Otis Taylor. Tickets
    for the fights range from $30 general admission to $150 for front row seats. The Otis Taylor concert
    tickets are priced at $20.00. All tickets are available at the Red Lion Hotel front desk; to buy tickets or for
    more information call 916-922-8041.
    The hotel’s premiere offers a preview into the hotel’s anticipated completion of an intensive refurbishment
    program that has transformed the property into a stylish example of distinctive interior design,
    complimented by superior services and operating standards.
    "This is a chance for everyone involved in this amazing project to come together to see the true potential
    that the Red Lion Hotel offers promoters, event & meeting planners, business and vacation travelers "
    said General Manager Joemel Panisa. "It took a lot of effort, vision, commitment, and creativity to turn this
    property into an exciting and eclectic expression of the entertainment and personality of this city."

It's not going to be a very good card. Godfrey looked horrible his last fight and neither Simms nor him are crowd-pleasing fighters. And I love Rubin Williams and all and he is a nice guy for the sport, but he is simply fighting for a paycheck these days (his ex recently ripped him for more child-support) and is past it, as well as Otis Griffin was never on it. I love live fights more than anything, but if you can't swing a free ticket, it's probably not worth it. That's sad to say. Godfrey and Flores just need to fight period. It won't be the most entertaining, but it would give us a definitive challenger to Steve Cunningham as the best American cruiserweight and actually create some marketability for the winner; since neither has much. Although because of ESPN I would give BJ the edge in that department, and he is a HUGE draw in Missouri. Baffles my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by HeartAttack View Post
      It's not going to be a very good card. Godfrey looked horrible his last fight and neither Simms nor him are crowd-pleasing fighters. And I love Rubin Williams and all and he is a nice guy for the sport, but he is simply fighting for a paycheck these days (his ex recently ripped him for more child-support) and is past it, as well as Otis Griffin was never on it. I love live fights more than anything, but if you can't swing a free ticket, it's probably not worth it. That's sad to say. Godfrey and Flores just need to fight period. It won't be the most entertaining, but it would give us a definitive challenger to Steve Cunningham as the best American cruiserweight and actually create some marketability for the winner; since neither has much. Although because of ESPN I would give BJ the edge in that department, and he is a HUGE draw in Missouri. Baffles my mind.
      Well its not the greatest card on paper but for the venue and price its fine. $50 or $30 tickets for 6 fights. The venue is small so not a bad seat in the place.

If you are from the area then you may know 1 or more of the local guys and have more interest in the card.

I would never pass up a live card for $50 and under.

Last card Simms vs Davis turned out to be a decent fight. A few good Ko's on the undercard as well so cant complain.

Comment

Working...
      X