To any Marquez (Dinamita) fans...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To any Marquez (Dinamita) fans...

Question.

Why is it that Marquez seemed to really only take big risks against the most dangerous opponent he ever faced in Manny?

He fought Bradley, Barrera, and TBE roughly the same, tentative and cautious. He went after Casamayor only after Joel started to back down.

I was watching Mayweather/Marquez again and from round 6 on it started it get pitiful how easily Floyd was tagging Marquez in the face. But more importantly, Floyd was right in front of him, waiting for him to throw so he could pull counter him all night long.

Then I look at Mayweather/Maidana 1 and I see a guy in Chino who doesn't sit back and wait for Floyd to peg him from a distance.

So my question is why Marquez didn't throw caution to the wind against Floyd, a non-power puncher, like he did in 4 fights against Manny, a knockout artist at the time?

Manny fights a style he was comfortable with, and over the course of 4 fights knew extremely well. He knew Manny's habits. He knew his openings. Taking risks is easier when you know what the other guy is bringing. Plus the style matchup favors him since Pac will always come to Marquez, rather than move away.

Obviously, he won't feel nearly as comfortable with anyone else in his career like he will the guy he fought 4 times.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Question.

Why is it that Marquez seemed to really only take big risks against the most dangerous opponent he ever faced in Manny?

He fought Bradley, Barrera, and TBE roughly the same, tentative and cautious. He went after Casamayor only after Joel started to back down.

I was watching Mayweather/Marquez again and from round 6 on it started it get pitiful how easily Floyd was tagging Marquez in the face. But more importantly, Floyd was right in front of him, waiting for him to throw so he could pull counter him all night long.

Then I look at Mayweather/Maidana 1 and I see a guy in Chino who doesn't sit back and wait for Floyd to peg him from a distance.

So my question is why Marquez didn't throw caution to the wind against Floyd, a non-power puncher, like he did in 4 fights against Manny, a knockout artist at the time?

It wasn't that he didn't take risk with Floyd it's that Floyd negated everything Marquez did. And non power aside you get hit with enough flush punches they're gonna hurt.

Comment

Manny simply gave Marquez more openings with his aggresive style. Also look at the Diaz fight.

Marquez was never comfortable initiating the action in any fight. That's the same reason he couldn't decisively beat guys like Chris John, Norwood.

Comment

Jmm would have gotten ko'd if he tried that with Floyd..

Comment

why didnt Manny fight Floyd like he did Jmm? i think thats your answer

Comment

It mainly came down to their style match ups and the fact that had fought each other several times. Pacquiao's quick agressive style going against Marquez's power counter punching style meant during each exchange they were likely going to go 1 for 1 on some solid shots every now and then. So in other words, they were going to be trading punches frequently throughout the fight and someone was bound to get the better of the exchanges. That's pretty much what Marquez banked on in that last fight and it paid off.

Given Pacquiao's speed advantage it's likely he could have coasted to a UD in their last match up but that wasn't his style (similar to Khan) and Marquez knew that. Mayweather and Bradley were comfortable with getting the UD from just picking Marquez off from the outside occasionally catching him good here and there. So he pretty much knew at that point they weren't going to bite on giving him a chance to counter back since they weren't dead set on stopping him like Pacquiao was.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                Manny fights a style he was comfortable with, and over the course of 4 fights knew extremely well. He knew Manny's habits. He knew his openings. Taking risks is easier when you know what the other guy is bringing. Plus the style matchup favors him since Pac will always come to Marquez, rather than move away.

Obviously, he won't feel nearly as comfortable with anyone else in his career like he will the guy he fought 4 times.
                Let's just look at the first fight - the one nobody really could gauge the outcome of. Marquez was getting DRILLED early on by the best possible Pacquiao until he adjusted by round 4-ish, but through 12 he never stopped fighting. It was like his signature performance in my opinion.

Against Floyd it's like he never adjusted to up the aggression even though he had to know it'd be necessary based on Rounds 1-6 of De La Hoya.

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                why didnt Manny fight Floyd like he did Jmm? i think thats your answer
                That's easy. Manny at featherweight was a demon. Manny at welter is just another boxer. But most at featherweight were just more exciting fighters than the higher weights.

Comment

Working...
                X