Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters' reluctance to call opponents out after a win.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JQside View Post
    Reminds me of Broner calling out everybody, Marquez, Pacquiao, Rios, Guerrero, you name it. Guerrero showed up in his face and Broner ended up saying, "Send the contract over and I'll sign it" Did the fight get made? No. If that was UFC, Dana White would have capitalized on that huge promotional gem. Not in boxing. Cash cows need to be protected, marinated, and all that ****.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    right on the money(pun intended)

Comment

It's simple - The fact is, only fighters like Vitali and Floyd have a huge say so in their opponent choice and the reason is the Promoter is the one who decides the opponent, the location, and other details. They are the ones putting the money up and it is in the contract that they are the ones that make most of the major decisions.
      Last edited by richardt; 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
        Why do most fighters hesitate to come flat out and say who they want to fight next. This is especially the case for top level boxers.

Does it give negotiating leverage to the other guy if they call him out?

You usually hear...

"Well I just wanna go home and..."

"I'm just a fighter, I handle the business in the ring"

"Uh depends on my promoter, Bob Arum"

"Line 'em up, I'll fight anyone"

...**** like that, and it almost feels as if something was missing from the broadcast.

Obviously Stevenson/Kovalev is a fight on the map right now for everyone. Would have been nice to see some theatrics from either fighter in the post fight interviews...the interviewers have to almost pry it out from them.

Surely these guys map their careers out somewhat. I'll fight him, then him.. Of course we as fans do this.

I know these guys are in the moment of a payoff for their hardwork and sacrifice during training camp. It'd be a nice way to play to the crowd after a fight by dropping a name with some conviction; like you really want to fight and beat that guys ass. I think it adds to the feeling of it being a "grudge match" or whatever you want to call it.

I think that in the moment, during the interview, the person needs to be the boxer and not the business man, and say what they think the fans what to hear.
        if they are just saying what they think i want to hear, then whats the difference?...

Comment

Working...
        X