No announcement yet.

Is Boxing the Most Athletic Sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Boxing the Most Athletic Sport?

Today I came across a sports debate with my friend that never seems to get solved: Which is the most athletic sport? So I googled this question, and came across this article that tries to break it down based on categories:

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top...arcl-1913.html

For the most part it's accurate, but let me weigh in on this. Ask me this 5 years ago when I was uneducated and my opinion would simply be hands down "boxing". However, I was ignorant of many sports and everyone will always be biased, not giving an objective opinion. Now that I have played multiple sports, some you've probably never heard of, there is no real answer to this debate, regardless of what you think. Everyone will always be biased to the sport they play or grow up watching. Basketball argument goes like this: "they jump the highest, they're explosive, etc.", football argument goes "they runt he fastest, can tackle", boxing goes "there are 12- 3 minute rounds". The thing is they are both right, and I can find people in each sport who are extremely athletic, and can probably play multiple sports at a professional level and I can also find players in each sport who are extremely nonathletic (e.g. Tom Brady had the slowest ever shuttle time in the history of the combine). Sometimes we are so stubborn we want to believe that the sports we play or played growing up are the most challenging, but the truth is every sport is challenging and if you want to take it to the next level and go pro then you're going to be the best of the best. You probably have the work ethic and dedication to go pro in every sport. Every sport is hard, every sport has a fair share of athletes as well as a group of non athletes, and every sport is hard in it's own way. What are your thoughts?

Yes it is, Football, NBA, NFL, and many other athletes cant box for 12 rounds, thats a fact!

Comment

The fact that he puts speed at 7 for MMA and 6 for boxing makes this article BS to me.... Anyways though, Boxing has a much wider and accomplished base of fighters then MMA. Much Much bigger pool of talent. So i couldnt put MMA at a professional level as being more athletic then boxing. However, you probably do need to be a little more all around athletic to do MMA then boxing. Most guys in MMA now are just strong guys who can't move all that well.

Comment

Originally posted by PureBoxingCEO View Post
        Yes it is, Football, NBA, NFL, and many other athletes cant box for 12 rounds, thats a fact!
        Soccer, CYCLING, Swimming is way more demanding than any of those sports.

Look at how many fat people play in the NBA,NFL, even NHL is more demanding than NBA/NFL

That article writer is a ******, he has Badminton up there but not Swimming or Cycling? WTF?

You can take a Cyclist/Swimmer and they can play a full NBA game or full soccer game.

But if you take a NBA/NFL player they will gas quickly in Swimming/Cycling where you need real endurance.

A sport where you run for 20 seconds and have a 2min break isnt Physically challenging.
        Last edited by Medved; 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I've played a couple different sports at a fairly high level, and I am in great physical condition and honestly sparring three-minute rounds was the most physically exerting thing I have ever done. There's really nothing to compare it to in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
            Soccer, CYCLING, Swimming is way more demanding than any of those sports.

Look at how many fat people play in the NBA,NFL, even NHL is more demanding than NBA/NFL
            NbA and NFL are position sports. Depends on what position you play. Not to mention that they train for different ways for different things. A lineman who needs to push people around isn't going to run out and do laps. He needs to keep his weight up. He's going to go out and flip tires. Do ten yard sprints, etc.

Comment

I've seen many interviews where athletes from other sports have said boxing is much more physically demanding then their sport. I can't remember any of these athletes names so there no way i could provide a link but if you just look around on youtube im sure you'll find some.

Comment

Well, there is this to compare with:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Comment

just watch this guy training.....

Comment

boxing is the most difficult sport
                    end of story
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Comment

Working...
                    X