Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit meteorologist Jessica Starr's death by suicide puts focus on Lasik safety

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Detroit meteorologist Jessica Starr's death by suicide puts focus on Lasik safety

DETROIT – A month before taking her own life Dec. 12, Jessica Starr, a meteorologist for a Detroit TV station, shared that she was still struggling with complications such as dry eyes and blurred vision from her Lasik-type eye surgery in October.

"I do still need all the prayers and the well-wishes because it’s a hard go," Starr, 35, the Fox 2 Detroit (WJBK-TV) meteorologist and mother of two young children, said in a video on her public Facebook page.

The role that those complications played in Starr's death by suicide – if any – remains unclear, but her comments spawned nationwide headlines after her death and new attention to potential dangers of the popular eyesight procedure that has been available since the 1990s and is widely perceived as safe.

The physical pain was often accompanied by the psychological regret of having opted for a roughly $4,000 elective procedure that, if only they had stuck with glasses or contacts, wouldn't have been needed.

Starr said in Facebook posts that she had undergone a newer Lasik-like surgery known as SMILE, or small incision lenticule extraction. That procedure uses a different laser and eye-reshaping technique. SMILE was approved in 2016 by the Food and Drug Administration and was performed last year for the first time in Michigan.

SMILE procedures are "fundamentally the same" as Lasik and both are very safe, said eye surgeon Dr. John Vukich, chairman of the Refractive Surgery Clinical Committee for the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.

“Lasik is the most common elective surgical procedure in the world," said Vukich, who is based in Madison, Wisconsin, and has personally undergone Lasik. “It is a procedure that has enhanced the lives of many, many people, but like in any surgery, there is never a zero risk."

Sad ****. I was really thinking about doing this after hearing people saying it really helped them but after talking to my eye doctor and reading this story. I am fine with just wearing glasses and contacts lol.

She was bad too, her family must be really going through it right now.

Comment

My mom had it 10 years ago. No complications for her. I thought about having it, but meh, I'm just used to wearing glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
        My mom had it 10 years ago. No complications for her. I thought about having it, but meh, I'm just used to wearing glasses.
        I really considered it becuase contacts is not cheap but I will just keep wearing them or my glasses. I rather have glasses then be blind. I know it's one in a million but we just seen this one.

Comment

Originally posted by WallabeeKing View Post

She was bad too, her family must be really going through it right now.
          Very sad story. Yes she is not a bad looker gotta she her body before I can grade it.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
            Very sad story. Yes she is not a bad looker gotta she her body before I can grade it.
            Fella, she's literally just committed suicide...

Comment

Originally posted by Butt stuff View Post
              He knew that...-

Comment

I really considered it becuase contacts is not cheap but I will just keep wearing them or my glasses. I rather have glasses then be blind. I know it's one in a million but we just seen this one.
                I'm of the same way. It's better to be careful than sorry. Even the most minor of surgeries can be deadly or you can be that unfortunate soul.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of Candace Cameron actually well at least in that pic u posted bro but RIP!

yeah bro Ive been wanting to get lasic for minute myself. one of my boys who's 44 had it when he turned like 35 and he was fine.

my brother got it and it was good for like 10 years and then he started having complications it got really bad this past 2 years he had to go back in surgery.

So basically its good for like 10 years and then it starts getting bad again right? Thats what everyone pretty much says?

Comment

Originally posted by Butt stuff View Post
                    She ain't even cold yet, cuz.

Comment

Working...
                    X