Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does this bare bones beginner routine look?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does this bare bones beginner routine look?

I will be doing kettlebell clean and jerk 3x per week+ab work..

just curious about you guys's opinion on it all...
    A simple basic boxing training routine for beginner boxers to follow. This is the same boxing training used by seasoned amateurs and world class professionals.

Basic Boxing Training Routine

A basic boxing training routine doesn’t need to be fancy or full of impossible exercises. It’s often plain, boring, and focuses on mastering the basics over and over again. As long as you are dedicated and open to learning, this same boxing training routine will take you far.

2-3 Rounds Jumping Rope
    •Gets your body warmed-up. Reducing changes of injury and increasing performance.
    •Work on breathing and staying relaxed.
    •Don’t rest during the 1-minute break. Just skip through it.
    •You can substitute this with running for the same amount of time.

1-2 Rounds of Stretching
    •Reduces injury, increase blood flow, and increase range of motion.
    •Stretch, arms, legs, and back.
    •Relax the muscle to prepare it for heavy use.

3 Rounds on Focus Mitts
    •Work on offensive and defensive techniques.
    •Focus on speed and accuracy, not power.

3 Rounds Heavy Bag OR 3 Rounds Sparring
    •Practice the offensive techniques you learned from the mittwork (bag or sparring).
    •Make sure you keep your defense up and move (bag or sparring).
    •Feel free to throw some power but don’t get careless (bag or sparring).

2 Rounds Speedbag
    •Be consistent and try not to take too many breaks.
    •Remember to breathe.

2 Rounds Double-end Bag
    •Move around it and throw smaller punches to increase your accuracy.
    •Do this with your training gloves on so you get use to hitting fast targets with punching gloves on.

1-2 rounds stretching/warmdown
    •Relax and stretch out.
    •Feel free to chat with other boxers about techniques you learned that day.

Final Thoughts

This is a simple basic boxing exercise routine. Once you get the hang of this, you can try all other sorts of crazy conditioning routines designed for specific aspects of boxing. For beginning boxers, I recommend that you don’t over do this routine and don’t try to squeeze in extra training to speed up your boxing improvement. Save the extra energy and motivation you have for next week. Each week gets tougher and it’s important not to burn yourself out. If you’re still a beginner, make sure you take it easy!

I would concentrate on defense a lot more to begin with. Work on footwork and head movement. Jump rope, agility ladder, slip ball, and rope drills. Shadow boxing is great to.

Comment

It's not a bad routine. I would put the stretching at the end of the workout though.

This was Jack Dempsey's suggested routine which is very similar to what you posted:

Shadow-Boxing
      two rounds

Sparring
      three rounds

Heavy Bag
      two rounds

Light Bag
      three rounds

Rope-Skipping
      two or three rounds

Calisthenics
      two rounds

Take a one-minute rest between rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        It's not a bad routine. I would put the stretching at the end of the workout though.
        Wouldn't you also want it at the beginning? I agree that it should be at the end as well, but if you go into a workout cold with no stretch you risk injury.

Comment

Needs more jerking off.

Comment

Originally posted by datastream View Post
            Wouldn't you also want it at the beginning? I agree that it should be at the end as well, but if you go into a workout cold with no stretch you risk injury.
            To warm up I just shadow box, going slowly at first then gradually speeding up as the blood flows to the muscles.

If you wanted to you could stretch at that point. Just never stretch while cold.

Comment

Working...
            X