No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Donaire-Mares Stuck in The Cold War

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnKhang View Post
    Based on their demeanor, there's a good chance they'll move to TR to make the Donaire fight happen. I'm not saying it's a bad thing though. Who wouldn't want to see the best in their division go at it.
    That is a bad thing because that allows promoters to screw fighters more than they already do. Fighters shouldn't have to switch promoters just for the so called best to fight each other. I understand why fighters sign with GBP and TR but what I don't understand is how their managers and advisors allow promotional company stand-offs to interfere with the money and progress of the fighter's career.

Comment

It's unfortunate that people accept Top Rank and Golden Boy not working together when discussing fights that should be made. "Nah, they can't fight because of the promotional feud so we shouldn't both wanting that fight."

Comment

How does stuff like the beef between GBP and TR not a breach of the contract between the fighter and the promoter?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          It's unfortunate that people accept Top Rank and Golden Boy not working together when discussing fights that should be made. "Nah, they can't fight because of the promotional feud so we shouldn't both wanting that fight."
          Depressing, but what else can we do? At least we're getting Lara/Vanes, but it's only happening because A: they aren't big names and B: only TR is promoting the fight.

You can only protest their bullshit on a fight-to-fight basis. Whatever match-ups you don't like, you simply don't tune in. Not every in-house match-up is a bad one, but we're tired of it being the preferred method of making fights.

Comment

Mares better not be overlooking Moreno. He's got mad skillz!

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
              That is a bad thing because that allows promoters to screw fighters more than they already do. Fighters shouldn't have to switch promoters just for the so called best to fight each other. I understand why fighters sign with GBP and TR but what I don't understand is how their managers and advisors allow promotional company stand-offs to interfere with the money and progress of the fighter's career.
              I don't think Mares vs Donaire is a bad thing. I really don't. Yes, fighters shouldn't have to move from one promoter to another just to make a fight happen. But it is what it is. I'm not for it or against it. All I'm saying is if gets us the fight we want to see then why not.

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
                i dont understand why for profit companies like showtime, hbo, or espn dont just eliminate the need for boxing promoters and just become promoters themselves.
                They're already doing it, kind of. HBO turned down Zbik as an opponent for Martinez which resulted in him getting stripped but they had no problem with Chavez Jr fighting Zbik.

HBO also turned down Berto/Collazo 2 but they bought Dawson/Tarver 2.

When networks play matchmakers, they can be even worse than promoters.

Comment

Originally posted by spoonwars View Post
                  Mares likely gets a shot at Rigo and Donaire if he leaves Golden Boy and their hypocrisy. If Mares wins his next fight, Golden Boy don't have much else to give for his legacy.
                  yah there are better fights for mares at 122 to 126 if he goes to top rank...donaire, rigondeaux, nishioka, salido, mikey garcia, etc...i'm pretty sure mares will leave gbp if he can't get the fights he wants. also arum has shown interest in making mares vs donaire but of course gbp will have to be out of the picture in order for that fight to happen..

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    They're already doing it, kind of. HBO turned down Zbik as an opponent for Martinez which resulted in him getting stripped but they had no problem with Chavez Jr fighting Zbik.

HBO also turned down Berto/Collazo 2 but they bought Dawson/Tarver 2.

When networks play matchmakers, they can be even worse than promoters.
                    they bought dawson tarver because its between two american fighters.

At least networks can be held accountable by the public. Same thing cant be said about promoters.

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
                      they bought dawson tarver because its between two american fighters.

At least networks can be held accountable by the public. Same thing cant be said about promoters.
                      Actually they bought that fight because it was a contracted rematch and they had just signed a multi-fight deal with Dawson so it wasn't a great example (and there shouldn't be multi fight deals by the way because it spoils fighters).

How about Bradley/Alexander? They paid each fighter $1.2 mil and they guaranteed them that same amount for their next fight, thinking the fight would be good and there would be demand for a rematch. Turns out it wasn't good so after the fight Bradley ended up fighting washed up Casamayor on an undercard for another $1.2 mil, almost as much as Martinez made against Chavez Jr.

The mainstream public isn't aware of the business side of the sport like we are. Networks don't give a damn about hardcore fans.

That being said, they do force guys who aren't big stars to fight tough opponents (Rigo/Poon, Golovkin/Oosthuizen) so in the case of Donaire and Mares, HBO would probably make the fight happen if they were the sole promoter. Just saying they make a lot of bad decisions.
                      Last edited by Light_Speed; 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X