Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long did it take for your trainer to demonstrate the four basic punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long did it take for your trainer to demonstrate the four basic punches?

edited as a means to idiot proof.
    Last edited by juggernautburn; 04-25-2007, 04:19 AM.

you may know HOW to throw them but executing them properly is most likely another story. Although one may the fundamentals in boxing, it takes many years to master them. just practice what you have been taught an ur trainers will decide when u are ready to prgress.

Comment

In boxing isnt it the case of getting good with the jab and cross before working on other punches

Comment

its easy to start off focusing on1 or two punches rather than the entire complement when i started it was all about the jab than i added crosses and hooks etc

the truth is it may be boring at the start but it will make you a better boxer

Comment

Im confused, so what are you saying?

Comment

when I started the first thing my trainer did was get me into the correct stance and get me working the jab none stop. In fact I only threw the jab the first few times I went there and when I was pretty solid with that we moved to the cross, later the hook and finally the uppercut. Fitness and combination's became huge after that and finally sparring.
            I think it's good to not rush into learning all the punches too fast, if you spend more time learning the fundamentals it will pay off later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
              when I started the first thing my trainer did was get me into the correct stance and get me working the jab none stop. In fact I only threw the jab the first few times I went there and when I was pretty solid with that we moved to the cross, later the hook and finally the uppercut. Fitness and combination's became huge after that and finally sparring.
              I think it's good to not rush into learning all the punches too fast, if you spend more time learning the fundamentals it will pay off later on.
              This man's got the idea, if you're asking me also.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernautburn View Post
                i'm talking about the four basic punches, the jab, right cross, uppercut and left hook. i have two trainers at my gym and when i went the first day with one of them, he didn't teach me a damn thing, just told me to run, workout and hit the bags. another trainer, who also seems more enthusiatic about me and everyone else, taught me to throw the jab properly and right cross. man, sometimes i think a trainer is there for the pay check.

if he doesn't do something enxt week, i'm going to look at him like a joke, i already know how to throw a jab and right cross, time to learn some new ****. and i already know the other punches, because i've practiced them myself, but still, he doesn't know that.
                Patience. Discipline.

The first day at my gym, my coach set a chair out and told me to 'move around the chair to my right,

so I'm moving around the chair for about 3 minutes, getting a little winded (was totally out of shape) waiting for him to come stay stop. but he never did, he went inside for about fifteen minutes and I stayed doing circles on that chair with my hands up. i about collapsed when I was through with that and my shoe was giving my foot so much friction it burned a hole through the sock.

the next day my calves and legs were sore as hell. as a result from that weird training I think that gave me better footwork and mobility. don't expect to be taught everything about boxing on the first day. imo, you're lucky if you even hit a bag on the first day. and listen to them,run.
                Last edited by SquareCircle; 03-25-2007, 11:07 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

alright guys, i think i was a little impatient.

Comment

Communicate with your trainer. If you think your ready to learn new punches, go up to him as ask "how do I throw a hook?" Don't stand around waiting for people to approach you and teach you things. If you go ask questions you'll be letting them know that you are enthusiastic to learn. Trainers are going to be enthusiastic about coaching boxers who they know are gonna be enthusiastic about learning.

The trainer may end up saying "we're gonna teach you hooks in three weeks" which is fine, at least now you know what direction your training is going in and that they at least have a plan for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X