Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All time greats who epitomized the saying 1 great fight left in him: Toney vs Jirov

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    IMO he had to dig deep with jirov and be great... Vs old holy? Well not so much

I picked toney to win that....stopping him was a shocker

Still though that jirov fight meant more
    Meant more, yes. But his Holyfield win was an upset. Plus, the stoppage shocking. So the Jirov win wasn't his last great performance although yes, it meant more.

Comment

I always felt that toneys last great performnace was PETER 1..

Toney's counterpunching was on point that night.. Plus he was a short fat out of shape, forty year old former middleweight, standing toe2toe with a huge bulk of a tank in Samuel Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        I always felt that toneys last great performnace was PETER 1..

Toney's counterpunching was on point that night.. Plus he was a short fat out of shape, forty year old former middleweight, standing toe2toe with a huge bulk of a tank in Samuel Peter
        that was impressive.....His run over light heavyweight cemented his place as an ATG

only guys like Ezzard Charles, Joe Walcott(the original) Archie Moore, Roy Jones, and Jimmy Bivins started at 160 or lower and could tangle with heavyweights

Very impressed with Toney's late career surge from age 34-40

Comment

that was impressive.....His run over light heavyweight cemented his place as an ATG

only guys like Ezzard Charles, Joe Walcott(the original) Archie Moore, Roy Jones, and Jimmy Bivins started at 160 or lower and could tangle with heavyweights

Very impressed with Toney's late career surge from age 34-40
          Your threads are fantastic. A real pleasure to read, as well as your comments in general.

Just a quick question for you:

Do you think Roy's win over Ruiz was on a par with Toney's great win over Jirov?

As you know, I'm a huge fan of Roy's, but I also love Toney too. But the reason I've asked you the question, is because across many boxing forums, Toney gets heaps of praise for the Jirov win, (and rightly so) yet Roy doesn't seem to get much for his win over Ruiz.

My thinking behind this, is that Toney-Jirov was a great, exciting fight, whereas Roy-Ruiz was seen as a lacklustre, easy win.

I think that Roy sometimes gets penalised for being too good. I'm absolutely certain that if his fight with Ruiz had've been close and exciting with lots of drama, he'd have gotten a lot more credit than what he actually got.

Although Ruiz wasn't a great fighter and he was awful to watch, he was a tough guy who caused decent HW's lots of issues.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
            Your threads are fantastic. A real pleasure to read, as well as your comments in general.

Just a quick question for you:

Do you think Roy's win over Ruiz was on a par with Toney's great win over Jirov?

As you know, I'm a huge fan of Roy's, but I also love Toney too. But the reason I've asked you the question, is because across many boxing forums, Toney gets heaps of praise for the Jirov win, (and rightly so) yet Roy doesn't seem to get much for his win over Ruiz.

My thinking behind this, is that Toney-Jirov was a great, exciting fight, whereas Roy-Ruiz was seen as a lacklustre, easy win.

I think that Roy sometimes gets penalised for being too good. I'm absolutely certain that if his fight with Ruiz had've been close and exciting with lots of drama, he'd have gotten a lot more credit than what he actually got.

Although Ruiz wasn't a great fighter and he was awful to watch, he was a tough guy who caused decent HW's lots of issues.

Thanks.

Im appreciative that you hold my opinion so highly...thanks man

people dont like Ruiz style and he wasnt getting a lot of knockouts but he beat Holyfield when he only had 4 losses and was still hell for anyone not named Lennox Lewis...he even gave Lennox all he could handle

Ruiz had one of the better resumes of his era of heavyweights.

Jones win over a top 5 heavyweight trumps toney beating arguably the number one cruiser...Ruiz went on to beat other top 10-20 contenders

Toney was a natural cruiser by this time in his career and he was a 200 lbs football player before he started cutting weight for boxing

Jones doesnt get the credit he deserves for the win because of the "oh Jones dont fight nobdy but cab drivers" group.

Back in the late 90s was so good that people were calling he go to heavy after knocking out Griffin and Hill

People couldnt relate to a fighter being as dominant as Jones was and making it look easy. So they had to find something to criticize.....I collected ring magazines in high school and their was a point in his career in 2001-2003 where he held wins over 7/10 contenders at his weight

He didnt fight nobody doe...let them tell

Jones was one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of gloves

Comment

Im appreciative that you hold my opinion so highly...thanks man

people dont like Ruiz style and he wasnt getting a lot of knockouts but he beat Holyfield when he only had 4 losses and was still hell for anyone not named Lennox Lewis...he even gave Lennox all he could handle

Ruiz had one of the better resumes of his era of heavyweights.

Jones win over a top 5 heavyweight trumps toney beating arguably the number one cruiser...Ruiz went on to beat other top 10-20 contenders

Toney was a natural cruiser by this time in his career and he was a 200 lbs football player before he started cutting weight for boxing

Jones doesnt get the credit he deserves for the win because of the "oh Jones dont fight nobdy but cab drivers" group.

Back in the late 90s was so good that people were calling he go to heavy after knocking out Griffin and Hill

People couldnt relate to a fighter being as dominant as Jones was and making it look easy. So they had to find something to criticize.....I collected ring magazines in high school and their was a point in his career in 2001-2003 where he held wins over 7/10 contenders at his weight

He didnt fight nobody doe...let them tell

Jones was one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of gloves
              Thanks for the reply mate.

What can I say?

Again, I agree entirely with everything you've written.

You're a great poster.

I hope you have a great Christmas, and I'll look forward to debating with you after the holidays.

Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                Thanks for the reply mate.

What can I say?

Again, I agree entirely with everything you've written.

You're a great poster.

I hope you have a great Christmas, and I'll look forward to debating with you after the holidays.

Take care.
                thanks bro

Comment

Working...
                X